IGNORED

Hole plugs

Silver Dollar

Greetings friends, I have decieded to have my trunk rack re-chromed. While it is at the plater, I need some hole plugs to plug the holes till it gets back. I need to do the same thing to my fiberglass trailer too, which will be permanent. The holes are 1/4"-5/16". Can someone suggest a type, and tell me where to find such an animal. I prefer some that are low profile, chrome or non-chrome; it dosen't matter. And as always, thank you.

I think you'll find chrome or black plastic at Home Depot in the Misc. Hardware drawers in the bolt and fastener area. Just the push/snap in type. For the permanent ones on the trailer, just use a bit of clear silicon around the hole before snapping them in and they should seal the holes just fine.

If you cant find snap in plugs you can make plugs easily by using flat metal washers that are just a lttle bit larger in diameter than the holes in the trunk or trailer, flat rubber (or soft plastic) washers the same size as the flat metal washers (or even a little larger) then get some short "chrome" round dome head type bolts that fit the hole diameters in the trunk and trailer..and some nuts to fit the bolts

Place a metal washer on the short dome head bolt,then a rubber washer, put the bolt thru the hole in the trunk from the outside in, place another metal flat washer on the inside with a nut and then snug them up..all you will see it the chrome dome head of the bolt and a little of the metal and rubber washer under it and it wont leak.

You could also do it real cheap by using some black RTV silicone..

Place some masking tape on the "out side" over the hole, put a little RTV on your finger, wipe it over the hole "from the inside" to fill the hole, then wait about 10 minutes and remove the tape..it will be flush on the outside (what I would call cosmetically acceptable)

You can always push the RTV out later on when you want to reinstall the racks.

You can clean off the RTV on the inside with WD-40 which will wipe it right off.

If you cant find snap in plugs you can make plugs easily by using flat metal washers that are just a lttle bit larger in diameter than the holes in the trunk or trailer, flat rubber (or soft plastic) washers the same size as the flat metal washers (or even a little larger) then get some short "chrome" round dome head type bolts that fit the hole diameters in the trunk and trailer..and some nuts to fit the bolts

Place a metal washer on the short dome head bolt,then a rubber washer, put the bolt thru the hole in the trunk from the outside in, place another metal flat washer on the inside with a nut and then snug them up..all you will see it the chrome dome head of the bolt and a little of the metal and rubber washer under it and it wont leak.

You could also do it real cheap by using some black RTV silicone..

Place some masking tape on the "out side" over the hole, put a little RTV on your finger, wipe it over the hole "from the inside" to fill the hole, then wait about 10 minutes and remove the tape..it will be flush on the outside (what I would call cosmetically acceptable)

You can always push the RTV out later on when you want to reinstall the racks.

You can clean off the RTV on the inside with WD-40 which will wipe it right off.

Very find ideas, I may use the black silicon if I can't find a plug at the HD. Thanks