IGNORED

I breathed a little life into my air filter today...

I'm sure this has been done before and covered, but here is my rendition. Used single sided sticky foam around 1/8" thick.

The Factory seal was almost completely gone.

Now, when I tighten the four air box screws down there is actually some compression resistance.

IMG_20180801_154108604.jpgIMG_20180801_154117332.jpg

I also replaced the battery that was swimming in the holder; obviously not the best size for a 130CC. It was manufactured in 2014.

Replaced it with a Deka ETX18L, a perfect fit, AGM, and 350CCA.

old battery.jpg

Will

Edited by uhfradarwill

Check the grey foam gasket for decomposition.

Last year one of the bikes I rode with had his disintegrate on our road trip which caused a lot of hassle for us.

So when are you going to do the compression test, before or after the crank bearing and journal polish?

Patch

Check the grey foam gasket for decomposition.

Last year one of the bikes I rode with had his disintegrate on our road trip which caused a lot of hassle for us.

So when are you going to do the compression test, before or after the crank bearing and journal polish?

Patch

I'm scared as to the results of a compression test lol

The bike runs mint and I paid $1,200, I'm running it and hoping for the best!! For now.

Will

I'm scared as to the results of a compression test lol

The bike runs mint and I paid $1,200, I'm running it and hoping for the best!! For now.

Will

I'm sure it is.

So I'll just share this and it may not apply to your machine. Now we don't know the mileage yet and certainly you didn't pay much for the bike.

If she had been stored for a long time then as my fogging post suggests she may have stuck rings?! If you ignore the possibility and keep running it then you will change the geometry both of the rings and cylinders. The rings as mentioned in the post are springs and,,, they must float around the "ring lands" or landings. If they are restricted they can not lock compression.

Also if you look at the pictures in that post you can see how close the pistons are to the walls. Those are cold pistons!

Do you remember the advertisement - pay me now or pay me later-?

Or- there is nothing to fear but fear itself -?

I'm sure it is.

So I'll just share this and it may not apply to your machine. Now we don't know the mileage yet and certainly you didn't pay much for the bike.

If she had been stored for a long time then as my fogging post suggests she may have stuck rings?! If you ignore the possibility and keep running it then you will change the geometry both of the rings and cylinders. The rings as mentioned in the post are springs and,,, they must float around the "ring lands" or landings. If they are restricted they can not lock compression.

Also if you look at the pictures in that post you can see how close the pistons are to the walls. Those are cold pistons!

Do you remember the advertisement - pay me now eh

As I understand from the craigslist buyer and the title information, I am the third owner of this bike.

The guy I bought it from had it for three years. The title indicated he put around 3.5K miles on it.

He said he bought it from an elderly guy who just could not ride it anymore.

The seller said he and his wife rode it the first year, 2015, around 2K miles. Shut the fuel off and ran it till it quit and garaged it for the winter.

The next season he said he put around 1k miles on it but it was stumbling at the beginning of the season so he took it to Cycle Design in Phillipston MA and the tore off the carbs and got it running correctly. The beginning of the third season, this year, it started and ran good but his young twin girls, now five took much of his time so his wife wanted it gone.

I can believe that cause when I went to look at it the girls were all over the bike saying don't sell it dad and can we ride one last time etc.....

Who knows for sure!!

But the bike is a 1989 and now has almost 29,000 miles on it. Other than a vacuum hose unconnected causing the idle to hang before dropping the bike has displayed zero issues.

I did an oil/filter change, final drive oil change, new battery, new foam seal on the air filter, and a battery electrolyte warning mod is all I have done.

The bike looks and rides mint!!

I'll probably borrow a compression gauge like you suggest and hope for the best.

Thanks for the advice!!

Venture.jpg

I honestly wouldn't worry to much about the motor. These things are almost bullet proof. More often than not, a V4 that has been sitting will be just fine...only needs fuel system cleaned up...especially the carbs and fluids changed. Other than that, they do seem to run forever. But do the compression check for peace of mind...it's always good to establish a maintenance baseline on a used machine. Good for you, good for the bike.

Did you say ELDERLY really? Whats that mean?

Well, let me tell you kid;;; there's is a hole in the story.

Now - its about time for my Geriatric Nurse to do a diaper swap for me, or I'd give you a piece of whats left of my mind!

No, not going to tell you the hole in the story because you're to young to know the truth.

Next you be telling us bald is not beautiful

Did you say ELDERLY really? Whats that mean?

Well, let me tell you kid;;; there's is a hole in the story.

Now - its about time for my Geriatric Nurse to do a diaper swap for me, or I'd give you a piece of whats left of my mind!

No, not going to tell you the hole in the story because you're to young to know the truth.

Next you be telling us bald is not beautiful

Wow. Elderly meant to me that someone felt they were too old to safely handle the bike, simple as that. I didn't get a birth certificate or a copy of the medical records for the first owner.

Will

BTW I'm a vet of foreign wars, got two grown kids, been all over the world etc.... Don't call me kid Gramps!!!!!!!!!!!!

I honestly wouldn't worry to much about the motor. These things are almost bullet proof. More often than not, a V4 that has been sitting will be just fine...only needs fuel system cleaned up...especially the carbs and fluids changed. Other than that, they do seem to run forever. But do the compression check for peace of mind...it's always good to establish a maintenance baseline on a used machine. Good for you, good for the bike.

That was my thought also, fellow USAF dude!!

Wow. Elderly meant to me that someone felt they were too old to safely handle the bike, simple as that. I didn't get a birth certificate or a copy of the medical records for the first owner.

Will

BTW I'm a vet of foreign wars, got two grown kids, been all over the world etc.... Don't call me kid Gr

amps!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Elderly meant to me that someone felt they were too old to safely handle the bike,"

OK lets discuss a peace treaty; we'll trade that word for Mature, I won't refer to you as Gramps and I tell you the hole in the story?

Would you also agree that the 91 vintage Blue, being the nicer blue?

390.jpg

I'm sure this has been done before and covered, but here is my rendition. Used single sided sticky foam around 1/8" thick.

The Factory seal was almost completely gone.

Now, when I tighten the four air box screws down there is actually some compression resistance.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113878https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113879

I also replaced the battery that was swimming in the holder; obviously not the best size for a 130CC. It was manufactured in 2014.

Replaced it with a Deka ETX18L, a perfect fit, AGM, and 350CCA.

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=113881

Will

Seems to me there is a lot of fuss over nothing. Looks like you did a nice job of replacing the filtre seal and chose a very good battery as a replacement. According to you the bike is running great so there is currently no indication there is any need for a compression check.

I was very happy to have paid $1800 for my 89 VR with 25,000 miles on it so I'd say you got a really good deal on your beautiful bike.

Wow I took this whole thread lightley and the way the guy worded it about his nurse coming to change him... he put spacing between the words as in for a punch line I thought, once you have been around for a bit you will figure out where the banter is. Which is what I trully believe it was... seemed as it was someone telling a joke with a complete straight face. Me on the other hand I crack up so it gives it away... Then there are those that joke but want you to think they are dead serious...

"Elderly meant to me that someone felt they were too old to safely handle the bike,"

OK lets discuss a peace treaty; we'll trade that word for Mature, I won't refer to you as Gramps and I tell you the hole in the story?

Would you also agree that the 91 vintage Blue, being the nicer blue?

Ok Steven, peace. Your bike looks great!!

Will

Wow I took this whole thread lightley and the way the guy worded it about his nurse coming to change him... he put spacing between the words as in for a punch line I thought, once you have been around for a bit you will figure out where the banter is. Which is what I trully believe it was... seemed as it was someone telling a joke with a complete straight face. Me on the other hand I crack up so it gives it away... Then there are those that joke but want you to think they are dead serious...

Well Snyper you were correct it started with the crank journals..

Ok Steven, peace. Your bike looks great!!

Will

Yep that 91 faded blue is pretty cool.

The hole is when the PO mentioned they went through the carbs.. The pilots screw caps wouldn't be there..

So rapping this up, your bike is about as original as one could expect to find. That said there are going to be things that you can choose to get a jump on or wait, there's lots of good solid history and guys around here to help lay it out with you.

Yep that 91 faded blue is pretty cool.

The hole is when the PO mentioned they went through the carbs.. The pilots screw caps wouldn't be there..

So rapping this up, your bike is about as original as one could expect to find. That said there are going to be things that you can choose to get a jump on or wait, there's lots of good solid history and guys around here to help lay it out with you.

I guess I over reacted when I read the word "kid", sorry.

That is the problem with craigslist purchases; can't tell what is BS and what is not.

Anyway, a co-worker, Harley rider, is loaning me a compression gauge so I can test them.

If that is good, I'll check for exhaust leaks then sync the carbs.

I think all will be just fine because this bikes runs very smooth, has zero smoke, no stumble, no let off popping, gets around 38 Mpg depending on the wrist etc....

I'm very happy with it.

Will,

I expanded the picture you posted I can see the tamper cap has been removed, so it is possible that the carbs may have been gone though as the PO mentioned. The tamper proof screw on the diagram cap is still in place which means little as most of us have fittings that work without breaking that pin.

In section 5 of the manual show the carb assembly, looking through closely I can’t find or know of any vacuum T outside of intake no.2 (left front) which is which has a clip that roots the vacuum tube for ignition advance you can find that at the bottom of page 3.3

I also notice that on intake 3 (I think) is a small crack about ¼ - 5/16 left to right is forming. This isn’t in my experience a big deal as most pipes are 3 layers bit you may want to swipe it with some gasket seal.

Also noticed that the throttle shafts appear dry, I use DeepCreep there as well as it also conditions and tends to not collect chit.

Sorry if you felt I put you on the spot in my kidding around.

Will,

I expanded the picture you posted I can see the tamper cap has been removed, so it is possible that the carbs may have been gone though as the PO mentioned. The tamper proof screw on the diagram cap is still in place which means little as most of us have fittings that work without breaking that pin.

In section 5 of the manual show the carb assembly, looking through closely I can’t find or know of any vacuum T outside of intake no.2 (left front) which is which has a clip that roots the vacuum tube for ignition advance you can find that at the bottom of page 3.3

I also notice that on intake 3 (I think) is a small crack about ¼ - 5/16 left to right is forming. This isn’t in my experience a big deal as most pipes are 3 layers bit you may want to swipe it with some gasket seal.

Also noticed that the throttle shafts appear dry, I use DeepCreep there as well as it also conditions and tends to not collect chit.

Sorry if you felt I put you on the spot in my kidding around.

Hey no problem, sometimes I'm an A$$ lol. When you buy something off craigslist you never really know the truth.

Will