IGNORED

MK1 Carb rebuild parts

I have the carbs on my 84 Venture disassembled and cleaned. Now for the parts needed. My research shows that Dellorto carbs in the Netherlands has the best price. They are the only place I have found main and idle jet rubber plugs for a reasonable price: $5.95 each. Their kit is complete down to the screws for the covers. 4 complete kits and the plugs and shipping comes to $170.00. Has anyone found a more reasonable price?

I have the carbs on my 84 Venture disassembled and cleaned. Now for the parts needed. My research shows that Dellorto carbs in the Netherlands has the best price. They are the only place I have found main and idle jet rubber plugs for a reasonable price: $5.95 each. Their kit is complete down to the screws for the covers. 4 complete kits and the plugs and shipping comes to $170.00. Has anyone found a more reasonable price?

http://www.carburettorshop.com/contents/en-us/d380_Mikuni_BDS_carburetor_parts_and_rebuild_kits.html

K&L rebuilds off fleabay for $20 some each. Did all 4 for 87, doesn't have all the screws or rubber plugs but all the o rings and the two gaskets + needle and seat. I'd highly recommend them, just clean off the rubber plugs and clean the jets. I used an acidic detergent in the heated ultrasonic. You're going to ask this next, JBM industries has the main diaphragms for 20/each, I think they're all pinholed after 30years.

K&L rebuilds off fleabay for $20 some each. Did all 4 for 87, doesn't have all the screws or rubber plugs but all the o rings and the two gaskets + needle and seat. I'd highly recommend them, just clean off the rubber plugs and clean the jets. I used an acidic detergent in the heated ultrasonic. You're going to ask this next, JBM industries has the main diaphragms for 20/each, I think they're all pinholed after 30years.

Just a quick note: If you plan to rebuild carbs then you should change all wearing parts.

The rubber plugs can be problematic if they have shrunk. As too - the jet body gaskets.

Important to read the jet # you are removing and compare that to what is listed; sometimes we are rebuilding hoping we clear up a problem which could be a jetting issue. So knowing those # helps.

Where we most often go wrong when rebuilding at home is cleaning. We need to clean the outer shells well before soaking, or sure as Murphy chit will migrate to bad places. Use safety glasses when spaying carb cleaner through "every" possible passage, then blow through and watch how the fluid behaves as it jets out.

Bench set "every" thing you can, taking your time to double check so you needn't remove them a 2nd time.

I use a spay lube before removing them, a quick spray to each then wiggle them in place give them a minute to soak free, then lift up. If they resist much spray them again. The intakes are expensive and rarely on the shelf, so adds to down time!

Patch

My approach is to clean everything, replace everything. If they're really, really, clean and all the internals are new, then you have a new set of carbs because that's all there is to them to begin with. Of course, you can't always replace everything for one reason or another, but as close as you can get is the best approach. Rubber shrinks as it ages, and parts that look just fine can still be not working correctly.

Good source for the rubber carb plugs is SCI out of Canada. https://www.siriusconinc.com/search_result.php?make=2&model=Venture%20Royale&part=All&partno=&x=56&y=16&search=search&start=0

They sell all 8 plugs as a package for $15.13 plus have other parts. I am not a fan of the Keyster Carb kit they sell as it is more for a Vmax then the MKIIs.

Hope this helps you out.

Rick F.