IGNORED

Poor stator life

Here I was riding along enjoying a great Tennessee road, and I noticed that my voltmeter was pointing to 12V instead of 14V where it normally points. I powered down all the unnecessary items (driving lights, radio, cruise, Garmin) and it slowly started to rise. A little later the things started to look normal then bad, then normal then bad. When I got home, I measured the stator to ground and it was indeed grounded. I dug out my maintenance record and see that this stator only has been installed for 23 months and about 10,000 miles. This is way to quick for a stator to go bad. When I changed it last time, I verified that there was oil coming out of the end bolt and the rod that is behind the nut is installed. This short lived stator came from Powersports 911 and was supposed to be 'long life'. Does anybody know of a brand of stators that is more durable?

Frank

Many of the aftermarket stators are wound for a bit more output power, to do this it takes more turns of wire in each coil, in order to get the room for more turns of wire in each coil they use wire with thinner insulation. So the insulation does wear out or burn thru quicker. Modern wire insulation is stronger than the stuff from 30 years ago so they put it on even thinner yet. Where I work we have noticed it with electric motor windings also, they just do not hold up like they used to.

Yup! An unfortunate fact of life is the High Output stators don't last as long! Life is always a trade-off or compromise, you get one thing at the cost of another. That being said, you stated that the replacement was billed as a long life one! Not very long IMHO!!

I wish I could give you the answer you are looking for but instead, I'll say DON'T buy a Chinese one! Rick's stators seem to be a good one, and I've heard RPM is supposedly good as well. The bottom line? Just as John Arbuckle said, you get what you pay for...

Has anybody tried the Electrosport Industries stators with the blue coating? My thought is that the thick coating would make the windings run hotter, and reduce their life.

https://www.ebay.com/p/Electrosport-Industries-ESG254-Stator/220599259?iid=302566899606&chn=ps

I see that Electrosport also makes a Venture stator that has a normal coating.

It all depends on just what the coating is. If it is a thermally conductive epoxy then it will help the copper to dissipate the heat. If it is a thermal insulator then it will contribute to the coils getting hotter. The other big factor to consider is the breakdown temp of the coating. Stators go bad because the insulation burns off the wire, it is very rare that the actual wire gets hot enough to melt and break.

Jeff,

I have to admit that I never considered that the heavier coating could be thermally conductive. It doesn't matter though....I ordered a 'conventional' stator by Rick's because I've used them in the past and had better life than the last one.

Frank