IGNORED

Less Filling.... Taste Great!!!

Condor

So I picked up a few things from an auction Saturday morning. One of the items was a Home Brew beer making kit. Gonna give it a try..

Even discovered WTH a 'carboy' was... :whistling:

The Waltzmiller's on the German side of the family tree were Brewers in Buffalo, NY back in the late 1800's. All big guys. 6'6"..6'7"...

Guess that's where the gene came from.... :-) Anyway I figured it might be a great way to carry on the tradition... :beer:

BeerKit.jpg

Edited by Condor

That's a nice starter kit!

What're ya gonna brew up first?

There was a craft beer eatery near the marina I kept the sailboat in, and I got real fond of 'Double Wheat'. Thought I might find out how to make it??:witch_brew:

Finding all sorts of interesting websites... :group cheers:

I think I may have heard that name from the history of breweries in Western New York, Jack! Cool beans!

I used to make wine a long long time ago...

That's really cool... I don't have much info to go on other than family lore and stories from when I was a kid. Tried to find Gram's house at 6th and Genessee. I think there's a gooberment building sitting on top of it now. Time does march on....

I've been brewing about ten years now.

Some of the best beer I've had were my own.

Here's a web site you should find useful.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/

Thanks for the link. Looks like a great site....

I have also been doing my own brewing for about 10 years now. If you have any questions feel free to ask. You're really going to love it. Nothing beats a good small batch Homebrew.

I'm sure I'm gonna have a ton of ?'s. First... Do youse guys bottle?? Or a keg maybe??

Thanks for the link. Looks like a great site....

I'm sure I'm gonna have a ton of ?'s. First... Do youse guys bottle?? Or a keg maybe??

I have both bottled and used a keg. I have 2 kegs and use them for lighter brews and bottle all of the darker ones. I do this based only on personal preference. I also highly recommend Northern Brewer for finding quality supplies. They have yet to let me down on quality of product or price. What kind of beer do you like? There are all kinds of pre measured kits you can get that will help you get a feel for how the process works before you start getting into the more complicated stuff. I have brewed beers that are ready to drink in 6 to 8 weeks and one that took 14 months. Also, do a lot of reading on hops and all of the varieties available and the alpha acid contents of each variety and how adding them at different times can really change the over all flavor of the final product. Don't discount the yeast either. It is possible to use a lager yeast at slightly warmer temps to create a less crisp flavor profile yet get the same underlying base flavors to pop. You can also use an ale yeast at cooler temps to get warmer mouth feel and a slightly sweeter malt taste. Each yeast has its own preferred temp range to be most effective so playing with the temperatures can be really tricky but it can be done. Malt combinations can be a lot of fun to play with. One of my favorite brews involves American 2-row, honey malt, German chocolate malt and rolled oats combined with a low acid hops and an ale yeast filtered over rice hulls. Home brewing can be as complicated or as simple as you want. In the end, there is nothing like sitting down and drinking something you made yourself.

I bottle mine but would keg if I had a suitable place to put a kegerator.

Keg's are less work.

I may go that way..if I can come up with something that's worth saving..?? :-) I have a couple of extra small office refers that I bet could be converted to a keg-er-ator. I bet some smart individual may have come up with a kit to do just that???

See I thought so....

Edited by Condor

I bottled my first batch and went to kegging immediately. Bottling is way too much work!

I use Pepsi Kegs and made a six keg kegorator from a medium sized chest freezer.

Once bitten by the brew bug, you'll probably want to go all grain. That is the way to get the most out of you money in brewing. Though there are some excellent extract kits out there.

I actually haven't brewed anything in way too long. I'm going to have dust off and sanitize the mash ton and get to work!