IGNORED

2018 SVTC "Heat Issues". Whats your experience??

Good morning fellow adVENTURErers! We got into a discussion last night about heat issues with the 2018 SVTC as well as software version updates for the new SVTC.

I thought I'd bring this heat discussion here to bring others experiences into it, particularly from OWNERS who have done more than a "test ride" and have actually racked up some miles on it.

I can only post MY experiences with the 2018 SVTC since picking it up Dec 29th, but I've already racked up 5k miles on her and have had riding temps down to 40 in the evening and 81 during the daytime.

Here we go!

I'll preface to say that my last touring bike was the 91 Venture Royale. We're all familiar with the 1300cc water cooled engine, and that is MY reference point on engine heat based on MY experience and 120k miles put on her (lived in Southern Calif). I was used to the cooling fan kicking on and you could feel the heat oftentimes being blown up through the steering column area and around the rider when sitting in traffic.

There are many concerned about air cooled on the SVTC, and given that its an 1854cc behemoth one can expect an increase in heat output. It doesn't matter water cooled or not, there WILL be an increase vs older models. Bigger displacement, more heat., its not rocket science folks.

The heat management of the SVTC by virtue of Yamaha's design is very efficient. When riding, the lower vents plus use of the fairing wings does an excellent job of keeping the area comfortable in hot temps. While riding in 81 degree temps lumbering along through twisty's at 30mph, I never had to do more than open the lower vents (located down by your feet). REMEMBER, this baby is a TRUE touring bike meant to gobble up the miles comfortably. Shes not designed to be a "daily commuter" bike riding in traffic every day. That's like using a Lamborghini to commute in. WRONG application! Will she do it? Of course, but its not its natural habitat!

I've been stuck in traffic for 1.5-2hrs with stop and go, and by "GO" I mean no faster than 10mph for a 100ft before having to stop again. Outside temps were 78 degrees at the time. I felt heat rising around me just like I did on the old XVZ13, but it was not stifling nor making me wish I could get away from it. The reports of excess heat under the left leg & thigh are IMHE a bit oversensitive. In stagnant air w/ NO BREEZE and no movement the left side was a bit warmer. Your oil tank is located left side of seat and behind the side cover. Ok, that makes sense why i might feel warmer there. I did notice though that slight natural breezes while sitting can change that. Again, NOTHING in my experiences thus far have detracted from the overall riding experience, or made me think I'd made a poor decision or curse Yamaha for being "stupid" for not going water cooled.

Like ALL bikes, its all about YOUR personal preference. That's why we're INDIVIDUALS and not clones! THANK GOD! I don't think I could deal with a bunch of others just like me!

As an electro-mechanical engineer with my own business, I can say I'm truly impressed by the engineering Yamaha has put into the SVTC. The bike is its OWN unique identity unlike anything else on the market. It turns heads, and every bike meeting and rally I've been to so far, people are clearly impressed.

For my part in this, there is NO heat issue which brings regret or makes the riding experience uncomfortable or regretful.

Its a HUGE engine!

More heat? A bit, and logically expected.

An issue? Not in my experiences.

A deal breaker? Obviously not for me.

A cause for buyers remorse? NOT ON YOUR LIFE! This is THE dream bike for all you tech lovers out there.

You have to remember that when people go on a "test ride", 'they have ALL their senses "hyper tuned" to discern ANYTHING out of what THEY perceive as "ordinary" based on THEIR riding experiences. Kinda like people. If you meet someone critically LOOKING to find fault, you will.

Edited by ChiefGunner

Good morning fellow adVENTUREers! We got into a discussion last night about heat issues with the 2018 SVTC as well as software version updates for the new SVTC.

I thought I'd bring this heat discussion here to bring others experiences into it, particularly from OWNERS who have done more than a "test ride" and have actually racked up some miles on it.

I can only post MY experiences with the 2018 SVTC since picking it up Dec 29th, but I've already racked up 5k miles on her and have had riding temps down to 40 in the evening and 81 during the daytime.

Here we go!

I'll preface to say that my last touring bike was the 91 Venture Royale. We're all familiar with the 1300cc water cooled engine, and that is MY reference point on engine heat based on MY experience and 120k miles put on her (lived in Southern Calif). I was used to the cooling fan kicking on and you could feel the heat oftentimes being blown up through the steering column area and around the rider when sitting in traffic.

There are many concerned about air cooled on the SVTC, and given that its an 1854cc behemoth one can expect an increase in heat output. It doesn't matter water cooled or not, there WILL be an increase vs older models. Bigger displacement, more heat., its not rocket science folks.

The heat management of the SVTC by virtue of Yamaha's design is very efficient. When riding, the lower vents plus use of the fairing wings does an excellent job of keeping the area comfortable in hot temps. While riding in 81 degree temps lumbering along through twisty's at 30mph, I never had to do more than open the lower vents (located down by your feet). REMEMBER, this baby is a TRUE touring bike meant to gobble up the miles comfortably. Shes not designed to be a "daily commuter" bike riding in traffic every day. That's like using a Lamborghini to commute in. WRONG application! Will she do it? Of course, but its not its natural habitat!

I've been stuck in traffic for 1.5-2hrs with stop and go, and by "GO" I mean no faster than 10mph for a 100ft before having to stop again. Outside temps were 78 degrees at the time. I felt heat rising around me just like I did on the old XVZ13, but it was not stifling nor making me wish I could get away from it. The reports of excess heat under the left leg & thigh are IMHE a bit oversensitive. In stagnant air w/ NO BREEZE and no movement the left side was a bit warmer. Your oil tank is located left side of seat and behind the side cover. Ok, that makes sense why i might feel warmer there. I did notice though that slight natural breezes while sitting can change that. Again, NOTHING in my experiences thus far have detracted from the overall riding experience, or made me think I'd made a poor decision or curse Yamaha for being "stupid" for not going water cooled.

Like ALL bikes, its all about YOUR personal preference. That's why we're INDIVIDUALS and not clones! THANK GOD! I don't think I could deal with a bunch of others just like me!

As an electro-mechanical engineer with my own business, I can say I'm truly impressed by the engineering Yamaha has put into the SVTC. The bike is its OWN unique identity unlike anything else on the market. It turns heads, and every bike meeting and rally I've been to so far, people are clearly impressed.

For my part in this, there is NO heat issue which brings regret or makes the riding experience uncomfortable or regretful.

Its a HUGE engine!

A cause for buyers remorse? NOT ON YOUR LIFE! This is THE dream bike for all you tech lovers out there.

You have to remember that when people go on a "test ride", 'they have ALL their senses "hyper tuned" to discern ANYTHING out of what THEY perceive as "ordinary" based on THEIR riding experiences. Kinda like people. If you meet someone critically LOOKING to find fault, you will.

Chief Gunner...what a most informative post this is...and very well thought out logistical flow. Most encouraging to a new owner, but with having to date put no miles upon the actual bike. Totally agree that this bike with such a large displacement is going to put out natural heat. But..without even riding the bike..my wife and I have faith...that Yamaha had so much at stake,(so many millions of R and D, into this bike..) that if they thought by test track and camouflaged, real-world riding...if they thought for one second that to most median/metric riders, being air/oil cooled was going to be fatal to the bike..they never would have proceeded and brought the bike to market. They're not idiots!

So...your in-depth rider (over 5,000 miles ) experience, properly mimics what in theory, my wife and I thought would be ours. Great to read...and most encouraging! Thanks for posting. I intend to revisit this thread, and post my/our rider comments to what we found, in taking this beaut down the road. I especially reacted to your comment that this is not by design, meant to be an every day, purchased for this event...a stop and go, commuter ride. Absolutely...that was in our mind..that for the most part..you are always going to be moving, whether at 30 mph..or at 80 mph. Yep...your actual account, parallels our 'expected' usage profile. Great to read...!

Post Edit: BTW, Chief...tried to PM reply you...and I keep getting this error :

• Sorry YamahaParExcellence, you are not allowed to post links in PM's messages.

Can't seem to get a reply out to PM's.... I have no links in the reply box, message body...so no joy...

The only way to give you an acknowledgement, was this...I just can't get PM replies to be accepted by the forum system.

Edited by YamahaParExcellence

I put 570 miles on an Eluder (single day) and about 680 on the venture (100 Saturday 2 up and Sunday solo trying for an iron butt 1000)

The highest temp I saw was 78 degrees f riding at 35 mph for about 8 minutes on the eluder. I rode to Death Valley round trip to test the eluder’ long day experience. At 78 degrees at 35mph for 8 minutes the heat on my left thigh caused my body temp to rise enough that my arm pits dripped sweat. I am 66 years old and had never experienced my arm pits dripping sweat drops until that moment.

Would I purchase the Venture in spite of the severe heat issue on the left side? YES!

But it would be something I would know from the start I will have to put up with. Like being careful not to hit bumps in high speed turns on my Gen2 RSV because it will start to wallow and scare the crap out of me.

Chief Gunner...what a most informative post this is...and very well thought out logistical flow. Most encouraging to a new owner, but with having to date put no miles upon the actual bike. Totally agree that this bike with such a large displacement is going to put out natural heat. But..without even riding the bike..my wife and I have faith...that Yamaha had so much (so many millions of R and D, into this bike..) that if they thought by track and camouflaged riding...if they thought for one second that to most median/metric riders, being air/oil cooled was going to be fatal to the bike..they never would have proceeded and brought the bike to market. They're not idiots!

So...your in-depth rider (over 5,000 miles ) experience, properly mimics what in theory, my wife and I thought would be ours. Great to read...and most encouraging! Thanks for posting. I intend to revisit this thread, and post my/our rider comments to what we found, in taking this beaut down the road. I especially reacted to your comment that this is not by design, meant to be an every day, purchased for this event...a stop and go, commuter ride. Absolutely...that was in our mind..that for the most part..you are always going to be moving, whether at 30 mph..or a 80 mph. Yep...your actual account, parallels our 'expected' usage profile. Great to read...!

Thanks Joe. It’s just an honest assessment based on 5k miles in various riding temps & situations.

I understand different riders may have the same or different comments to add. A “test ride” however IMHO is not sufficient enough to get hard data for an informed opinion. Just simply not enough time and miles to experience the myriad of driving conditions for an assessment.

I put 570 miles on an Eluder (single day) and about 680 on the venture (100 Saturday 2 up and Sunday solo trying for an iron butt 1000)

The highest temp I saw was 78 degrees f riding at 35 mph for about 8 minutes on the eluder. I rode to Death Valley round trip to test the eluder’ long day experience. At 78 degrees at 35mph for 8 minutes the heat on my left thigh caused my body temp to rise enough that my arm pits dripped sweat. I am 66 years old and had never experienced my arm pits dripping sweat drops until that moment.

Would I purchase the Venture in spite of the severe heat issue on the left side? YES!

But it would be something I would know from the start I will have to put up with. Like being careful not to hit bumps in high speed turns on my Gen2 RSV because it will start to wallow and scare the crap out of me.

I thank you for mentioning your age demographics because that IS a factor. No offense intended but the older you are, the more susceptible you are to heat & cold and the less your body is able to regulate on either end of the spectrum.

i did mention that I could feel heat in the left side but that it was not intolerable or uncomfortable. Just for the record, I’m 58 but do a LOT of outdoor field work and am accustomed to temperature extremes.

On my one ride so far, at 55 degrees and all vents and wings closed, the heat was wonderful. I’ll assess more on my leg of the out west journey to Phoenix in June. I’m coming from a 103 HD Ultra that literally roasted me in Road construction stops so I am not anticipating it being near as bad. What I wish they would have added in the info system is an oil pressure/temperature reading but I realize they probably didn’t because everyone would panic. The crappy analog gauge on the HD would go down to nothing and the valve train would get very loud once it heated up at a standstill. Never very comforting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely agree. that all rider experiences should be and hopefully will be posted. I wonder...could a person, put on a stand-off custom heat shield on the aft exhaust pipe that might work out better for their experience over the OEM?

Also, that is the reason that I went for the lower wind deflectors. The more control to vector wind inwards, to wash over the metal, the better the heat management. I think that anybody that thinks about buying this ride...should seriously consider factoring in as a cost, the lower wind deflectors. To my mind, a very wise usage of customizing funds. :)

On my one ride so far, at 55 degrees and all vents and wings closed, the heat was wonderful. I’ll assess more on my leg of the out west journey to Phoenix in June. I’m coming from a 103 HD Ultra that literally roasted me in Road construction stops so I am not anticipating it being near as bad. What I wish they would have added in the info system is an oil pressure/temperature reading but I realize they probably didn’t because everyone would panic. The crappy analog gauge on the HD would go down to nothing and the valve train would get very loud once it heated up at a standstill. Never very comforting.

Just an FYI, like you said there is no oil temp or pressure gauges. There is however an oil pressure sensor built in that will alarm you on the dash with a WRITTEN information warning on your screen if there is an issue.

Thanks Joe. It’s just an honest assessment based on 5k miles in various riding temps & situations.

I understand different riders may have the same or different comments to add. A “test ride” however IMHO is not sufficient enough to get hard data for an informed opinion. Just simply not enough time and miles to experience the myriad of driving conditions for an assessment.

"Absolutely...well said. That is why I for the most part discounted a lot of the YouTube Demo day YouTube bloggers, for that very reason. They were what...on the bike for 15-20 miles...and not mainly upon the interstate whereby this bike was bred and born to run?

Sure ,you're going to experience some heat...but from some of the comments, wow...you'd think it was going to have you suffocate, cook your calve or thigh, like Prime Rib, or bodily, keel over in the saddle. I watched with more attention to how the bike seemed to accelerate, and bank in turns. The sound...the instrumentation. Did I focus on the heat comments at a red light? Not one bit. That..quite frankly is to be expected on such a massive cubic inch asset....my take, anyways."

"Absolutely...well said. That is why I for the most part discounted a lot of the YouTube Demo day YouTube bloggers, for that very reason. They were what...on the bike for 15-20 miles...and not mainly upon the interstate whereby this bike was bred and born to run?

Sure ,you're going to experience some heat...but from some of the comments, wow...you'd think it was going to have you suffocate, cook your calve or thigh, like Prime Rib, or bodily, keel over in the saddle. I watched with more attention to how the bike seemed to accelerate, and bank in turns. The sound...the instrumentation. Did I focus on the heat comments at a red light? Not one bit. That..quite frankly is to be expected on such a massive cubic inch asset....my take, anyways."

Wife & I are planning a week long trip through July 4th week. We’re going out through the Blue Ridge, The Skyway, Cherohala Hwy, Dragons Tail etc... working our way out to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky and then back again. I’ll have plenty of pics and lots to report on twisty handling and of course summer heat.

BTW, if you haven’t heard of it, I HIGHLY recommend going to a site motorcycleroads.com

! They can pull up the best bike roads in any area. You can search by state, by region OR you can filter search results based on Rider reviews that are divided into 3 categories rated from 1-5 stars. Categories are: Road Conditions, Scenery, Roadside Amenities. The rider reviews are invaluable and often give heads up on road conditions such as construction or closures when planning a ride.

Just an FYI, like you said there is no oil temp or pressure gauges. There is however an oil pressure sensor built in that will alarm you on the dash with a WRITTEN information warning on your screen if there is an issue.

Danger!Danger!Danger!

LOL! Yes this bike is HIGHLY computerized, but I can’t imagine it yelling DANGER WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!

ROFLMBO!

But...what if the rider's name is Will Robinson? I can see that come upon the screen...."Danger, WILL ROBINSON! Danger!...and oh BTW, your cable bill is one week overdue, and your wife wants you to pick up some milk, on the ride home...".

But...what if the rider's name is Will Robinson? I can see that come upon the screen...."Danger, WILL ROBINSON! Danger!...and oh BTW, your cable bill is one week overdue, and your wife wants you to pick up some milk, on the ride home...".

ROFLMBO!! Your KILLING ME!!

We should be able to program that in shouldn’t we?

Not from what I've discovered in any of the Infotainment system parameters. What are you looking for? a strangely sounding space computer voice that greets you when you power up?

"GOOD MORNING DAVE."

You try to get it to do something and it freakishly says "I'M SORRY DAVE, I CAN"T DO THAT."

Not from what I've discovered in any of the Infotainment system parameters. What are you looking for? a strangely sounding space computer voice that greets you when you power up?

"GOOD MORNING DAVE."

You try to get it to do something and it freakishly says "I'M SORRY DAVE, I CAN"T DO THAT."

LOL and maybe the Robot from Lost in Space with arms waving tuning fork embellished on his chest yelling Danger, Danger, Danger when the low oil pressure idiot sensor alarms. Of course I’d never really want to see it.

LOL and maybe the Robot from Lost in Space with arms waving tuning fork embellished on his chest yelling Danger, Danger, Danger when the low oil pressure idiot sensor alarms. Of course I’d never really want to see it.

In a way, I kinda regret that the SVTC has an alarm system already installed. I would’ve preferred a VIPER alarm system that puts a protective umbrella around the bike. If you get too close (can set sensitivity) it vocally warns you “Please stand back!”

In a way, I kinda regret that the SVTC has an alarm system already installed. I would’ve preferred a VIPER alarm system that puts a protective umbrella around the bike. If you get too close (can set sensitivity) it vocally warns you “Please stand back!”

It’s kind of a major PIA. When I was installing the hitch, the only way I could keep it from re- arming was to put the bike on accessory.

Good morning fellow adVENTURErers! We got into a discussion last night about heat issues with the 2018 SVTC as well as software version updates for the new SVTC.

Here we go!

Its a HUGE engine!

Very well stated. I am 70 on May 5and have been riding a '14 1300 Deluxe for about the last 100.000 miles or so. The heat on both bikes are about the same to me when in rush hour traffic. But as stated these are not for stop and go traffic.