IGNORED

Making sense out of the ever changing motorcycling world in which we live...

cowpuc

Yesterday I had the pleasure of stopping in and visiting with the guys in the shop of our local Metric dealership as they were putting together one of the new Wings.. Tippy held her ears and complained a little as one of the mechanics downstream in the shop bounced a CR125 off its rev limiter a couple times while tuning the little screamer - I just smiled at her and breathed in deeply to let some of the sweet smell of burning 2 stroke oil fill my lungs and soul once again - awesome memories of days long gone bye.

Some brief but fun chatter took place amongst us all as I commented about the complexities of all the modern technology sitting between the bars on the new Wing and I asked the "kids" working on the dirt bikes if anything had changed in the maintenance schedules of the modern day CRF450R's... They all glared at me with evil eyes when I quoted the original Honda factory top end job requirements of that pancake pistoned, Titanium valved motor back when it first came out at "15 hour" intervals.. To my surprise, those guys in the backroom had never heard that and looked suspiciously at the old geezer in the HD hat as he assured them what he was saying was, in fact, the truth..

I also just participated in a conversation here in the club house about the battery probe that came with our 1st Gens... As I wrote a message of where to find a 3k ohm resistor to bypass that probe the thought ran thru my mind of wondering just how many folks nowadays actually know the factory spec on battery probe maintenance.... I couldnt help be wonder if any of my fellow club members would have that same look on their faces as those young mechanics had at the dealership yesterday if they knew that the factory spec on battery probe maintenance is every 3000 miles...

So what does all this mean??? Well,, looking at all the new bikes and all the new techology that has come out,,, couple that with all the technology of days passed and the maintenance associated with all of it,,,,,, sort of somehow makes me wonder just how much actual riding we are suppose to get in after all the figuring stuff out and maintaining things is done.... Not to sound judgemental and maybe it's just me getting old or something but sometimes I really do urn for the good old days before answering the telephone inside of a motorcycle helmet was even possible.. A simpler time,, for simpler minds I guess...

Oh,, and before one of you lop eared smarty pants buddies of mine varmints makes a comment like "what has this song got to do with bikes Puc?" = ya best watch closely for the lane splitten herein!!

Edited by cowpuc

Yesterday I had the pleasure of stopping in and visiting with the guys in the shop of our local Metric dealership as they were putting together one of the new Wings.. Tippy held her ears and complained a little as one of the mechanics downstream in the shop bounced a CR125 off its rev limiter a couple times while tuning the little screamer - I just smiled at her and breathed in deeply to let some of the sweet smell of burning 2 stroke oil fill my lungs and soul once again - awesome memories of days long gone bye.

Some brief but fun chatter took place amongst us all as I commented about the complexities of all the modern technology sitting between the bars on the new Wing and I asked the "kids" working on the dirt bikes if anything had changed in the maintenance schedules of the modern day CRF450R's... They all glared at me with evil eyes when I quoted the original Honda factory top end job requirements of that pancake pistoned, Titanium valved motor back when it first came out at "15 hour" intervals.. To my surprise, those guys in the backroom had never heard that and looked suspiciously at the old geezer in the HD hat as he assured them what he was saying was, in fact, the truth..

I also just participated in a conversation here in the club house about the battery probe that came with our 1st Gens... As I wrote a message of where to find a 3k ohm resistor to bypass that probe the thought ran thru my mind of wondering just how many folks nowadays actually know the factory spec on battery probe maintenance.... I couldnt help be wonder if any of my fellow club members would have that same look on their faces as those young mechanics had at the dealership yesterday if they knew that the factory spec on battery probe maintenance is every 3000 miles...

So what does all this mean??? Well,, looking at all the new bikes and all the new techology that has come out,,, couple that with all the technology of days passed and the maintenance associated with all of it,,,,,, sort of somehow makes me wonder just how much actual riding we are suppose to get in after all the figuring stuff out and maintaining things is done.... Not to sound judgemental and maybe it's just me getting old or something but sometimes I really do urn for the good old days before answering the telephone inside of a motorcycle helmet was even possible.. A simpler time,, for simpler minds I guess...

Oh,, and before one of you lop eared smarty pants buddies of mine varmints makes a comment like "what has this song got to do with bikes Puc?" = ya best watch closely for the lane splitten herein!!

Are you sure you're not 92 years old? Your selection of artists and videos makes me think you're lying about your true age. I go back as far as, Camp Granada, the Streak, Chicken fat was our gym song in elementary school.

Go You Chicken Fat Go https://g.co/kgs/AfCWAL

...in the Eternal scheme of things, this isn't even the blink of an eye.

Everybody is in a rush nowadays, with cell technology most people think it's unacceptable to leave a message you get when you get home. Everything is within reach of your thumbs on a screen. Heck some can't even pull into a drive through to order coffee, there's an app for that. Order it, pay for it, all before you get to the place. I still go into the bank to deposit or cash checks and use cash to buy things inside real stores. I'm one of two people left at work to draw a real check, city's been trying to make me go direct deposit for years. I won't use drive throughs and I listen to a radio station that regularly plays Jerry's Mr. Ford. Guy's at work make fun of me for being a dinosaur, funny part is none of those young electronically connected soft firefighters can outwork us Dino's when it hits the fan on a bad hot one. Having said that I did have to stoop so low to hook a phone up to the bike, if the customer ain't happy the business won't work. That is one of my few concessions to the craziness of this "new" world we live in. :backinmyday:

Everybody is in a rush nowadays, with cell technology most people think it's unacceptable to leave a message you get when you get home. Everything is within reach of your thumbs on a screen. Heck some can't even pull into a drive through to order coffee, there's an app for that. Order it, pay for it, all before you get to the place. I still go into the bank to deposit or cash checks and use cash to buy things inside real stores. I'm one of two people left at work to draw a real check, city's been trying to make me go direct deposit for years. I won't use drive throughs and I listen to a radio station that regularly plays Jerry's Mr. Ford. Guy's at work make fun of me for being a dinosaur, funny part is none of those young electronically connected soft firefighters can outwork us Dino's when it hits the fan on a bad hot one. Having said that I did have to stoop so low to hook a phone up to the bike, if the customer ain't happy the business won't work. That is one of my few concessions to the craziness of this "new" world we live in. :backinmyday:

I don't know, but I do know when my kids have a moving day going on, which happens with a little regularity, I enjoy the senior advisor phase of life over the lift, pull, look how strong I am days.

I don't know, but I do know when my kids have a moving day going on, which happens with a little regularity, I enjoy the senior advisor phase of life over the lift, pull, look how strong I am days.

Funny you mention that. Those same guys call me a freak of nature when it comes to the muscle work. I eat beef and pork, never lift weights, and out work them. They eat fish and chicken and lift daily. They just don't understand muscle and experience earned from years of hard work trump large muscles from a weight bench. They lift a few reps of heavy weight which gives them bulk but no practical use. I'm not unusual for our generation, they just don't get the experience thing.

Funny you mention that. Those same guys call me a freak of nature when it comes to the muscle work. I eat beef and pork, never lift weights, and out work them. They eat fish and chicken and lift daily. They just don't understand muscle and experience earned from years of hard work trump large muscles from a weight bench. They lift a few reps of heavy weight which gives them bulk but no practical use. I'm not unusual for our generation, they just don't get the experience thing.
My son calls it old man strength. Very deceptive. Reminds me of the time I pulled up behind two cars at a left turn signal and the guy in front didn't go and the kids in the car between us we're yelling crap at him. This looked like 65 or 70 year old man got out of his car walk back to the kids, the kid got out of his car and the old man cold-cocked him and dropped him right there on the island. Got back in his car and off he went.

Great part of being the old guy. You don't have to care anymore.

Its also the the fun part of outdoing the youngens at work, I don't have to. Drives em crazy when the gray headed Captain makes a job they're struggling with look easy. Experience and letting the tools do all the work. Then when the Dept chief sees me outdo them he really likes to rub it in. I run the oldest crew on the Dept. The youngest guy on my truck is 47, I love it when we do an all station training and my guys shine. All those 20-30 yr olds will sweat like crazy trying to do the brawn over brains techniques. We're more the smarter not harder thinking guys. It shows on fire scenes too. Some are starting to understand and listen when we teach them something. :fireman: Wow I'm starting to sound like my dad. :soapbox::soapbox::soapbox: The older I get the smarter he was

Made me think of this song...

Waaaaaay back when I was a kid we stopped at the Johnny Cash museum. It was closed but outside sat the one piece at a time Cadillac. I think from an old memory that Cadillac built it for him after that song. The other thing I remember is that the flower bed out front had cotton growing in it instead of flowers. My Mom who is almost 80 still has a boll of cotton out of that flower bed. I haven't thought of that stuff in decades.

Are you sure you're not 92 years old? Your selection of artists and videos makes me think you're lying about your true age. I go back as far as, Camp Granada, the Streak, Chicken fat was our gym song in elementary school.

Go You Chicken Fat Go https://g.co/kgs/AfCWAL

Im not a dinosaur and the songs Ol Puc pulls out of his hat I have heard and grew up on!! I Miss the Raisins and how they heard it thru the grapevine, or how they were sitting on the dock of the bay. I grew up with old songs and don't mind hearing them one bit brings back childhood for me and I am only 40. Sir whoever brought up that one piece at a time I am still trying to figure out just how big this guys lunch box was...:rotfl:

Im not a dinosaur and the songs Ol Puc pulls out of his hat I have heard and grew up on!! I Miss the Raisins and how they heard it thru the grapevine, or how they were sitting on the dock of the bay. I grew up with old songs and don't mind hearing them one bit brings back childhood for me and I am only 40. Sir whoever brought up that one piece at a time I am still trying to figure out just how big this guys lunch box was...:rotfl:

At least big enough for "nuts and bolts and all 4 shocks" according to the lyrics. :guitarist 2::cool10: