IGNORED

How to handle a test ride

Biker Bob

A friend who is a motorcycle salesman told me to agree on where they will test ride it so you can advise them of the good roads to take and also so you clearly know how long they will be gone. One time, when that wasn't discussed, he had a guy take it out for two or three hours!

I would think a 10 to 15 minute ride would be long enough to know how the bike feels, rides etc.

My local dealer told me to take as long as I wanted one time when I was test riding a bike, he called me as he was closing to find out where his bike was, I took it back the next day and bought it. But he knew me.

That being said I would get real excited if someone took a ride on my bike for more than 10 to 15 minutes.

Jerry

I'd be very leery of a private party test ride. I'd take the keys to whatever he rode over on with the understanding that if he dropped my bike, he's going to buy it. And he isn't going to get his vehicle back until mine was repaired or paid for.

Just sold my 87, guy that bought it hadnt been riding very long, and never rode a bike this heavy, I told him I would be glad to take him for a ride, but he wasnt gonna ride it till he paid for it. I had an inexperienced rider drop another of my bikes on a test ride, learned my lesson the hard way.:whistling: Craig

From my own and others dealings I have come up with this.

THEY have a current motorcycle license

THEY have proof of insurance.

THEY have ridden or owned a similar bike in the past.

THEY are willing to let you hold their license during the test ride.

THEY brought CASH to the game and are willing to lay down a fair sized deposit before riding.

YOU get them to sign a form stating THEY are responsible for damage during the test ride and the deposit will be non-refundable if they damage the bike. At least up to the cost of repairs. You can give them back the change when the bike is fixed.

NEVER let them talk you into "You can hang onto my bike/car while I'm gone." Thanks, already got one.

YOU feel comfortable with the way they handle the bike in the driveway. Do they have control of a non-running bike?

If THEY don't look comfortable on the bike with it running call off the game.

I ride with them on another bike if this all falls into place, with THEIR license in MY pocket along with the deposit. I'll ask them where they want to go, surface streets or big road and suggest the route to follow.

Remember you probably don't know this person and it is YOUR bike. It is YOUR call on rather or not to sell it to them. Don't forget that if there is anything wrong with the bike and they crash because of it, it WILL come back on you.

Don't create another organ donor by letting any fool that shows up take your scoot for a spin or you'll be selling parts on EBay.

Me, I'm just honest and straight forward with a potential buyer. You're in charge and tell THEM how it works. A joker will usually back off if he's just looking for an afternoon ride at somebody elses expense. Plenty of serious respectable buyers out there that understand the game. Deal with them, let the fools walk away.

I've told more than few lookers "This ain't the bike for you. Thanks for coming by."

IMHO

Snaggletooth