IGNORED

RSTD Electrical Intermittent

Hello everyone, 2006 RSTD runs fine for days, 44 miles a day round trip to work, then I go to start and the starter relay just clicks continually. Headlights, tail lights and dash all come on as usual but it just clicks. I've even left work, all starting fine, stopped after 10 miles, went into the store for 15 min and then it just clicks.

Push starting, yeah, living in SW VA affords many hills, ha, and even jump starting works fine and fires up first crank, and I can ride 15 or more miles and turn it off and then try to start and just clicks. Measuring the battery shows around 9-10VDC with everything off. 13.6-9VDC when running at high idle and the battery connected.

I put a fresh charged battery in when the clicking was occurring and starts up just fine with just a battery swap. And it may run for a day or 4 then the trouble starts again.

It seems to have issues when the voltage from the battery is low, of course right.....but I think something is draining the battery, even during running. No after market anything except for an LED headlight which has been in there for almost two years. Problem has existing for the last 3 months and no changes to anything on the bike.

I have taken the starter relay out and removed the battery connection from the + post to the starter relay as well. The M side of the starter relay which is removed from the relay and that wire goes to the starter circuit, I put the lead of the meter on that and the other lead on the + post of the battery with the - side of the battery still connected to the - gnd wire as normal and I'm getting .26 mA DC of current. Should there be a current draw there? I'm thinking that there should not be any draw when key is off and out. I remove the - gnd wire, - side of the battery, it zeros out.

Also, using continuity on the meter, it sounds off when one lead is on the wire that connects to the M side of the starter relay (w/o relay connected) and the other touches exposed frame.

The main thing in testing would be if there should be current present between the points I've outlined or not. If not, then there exists an exposed wire somewhere.

Really don't know where to go from here. If the tests ive done so far are of no help, I am sooooo open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for any assistance....

eric

Appears to me that something is draining the battery. The battery should check at least 12.6 volts with everything off. If the running voltage is as high as you say, the bike's charging system seems to be charging when running. ????

Thanks for comment.....Yeah, I've rode for an hour on the highway after having to push start it and lights and everything ran great, if it was the charging system, I think it would slowly dissipate running off the battery for just so long and eventually die ....

Set volt meter to AMP setting. Remove a battery lead and install meter and see if you have more than like .5 amp flow.(bike not running) If so something is "stuck on". R/R if bad I believe will suck voltage from the battery.

Set volt meter to AMP setting. Remove a battery lead and install meter and see if you have more than like .5 amp flow.(bike not running) If so something is "stuck on". R/R if bad I believe will suck voltage from the battery.

R/R?