IGNORED

conflicting info from manual

Hi,

I have an intermittent problem with my brake fluid indicator on the dashboard computerized diagnostics screen.

Have verrified that my fulid levels are ok but sometimes get the dash (0) brake fluid low indicator coming on. It seems to happen vaguely associated with steep left turns but not all. The one pulling away from the stop sign at the end of the road at my dads place seems to do it.

I winter the bike in my dad's garage and it has happened other years where first time out of there I get the indicator on at that turn. Usually it goes away on its own next ride and doesn't turn up again till the following year. This year however it has been happening more frequently.

As I say I have the fluid levels all up to snuff.

So I look in my bike manual at the schematic wiring diagagram and it shows the two brake fluid level switches are wired in series with one another to black which I assume is ground.

Then in the trouble shooting section I read that to test the switches one should remove both from the master cylinders and test continuity across them. It says that when the swtich units are standing upright (picture shows wires at the bottom) in no fluid there should be zero ohms across them and when turned upside down (wires at the top presumeably), there should be infinity ohms across them.

Unless the switches mount upside down, (manual doesn't say) I don't see how both things can be true. Logically, in a series circuit, you'd need both switches closed when all is well. If either of them sense low fluid they should go open interrupting the circuit. Yet the description seems to show the reverse. I tend to beleive the diagram. Any one know for sure which way is up?

Any one have similar problems with brake fluid indicator ?

I hear that the back of the computer monitor dash board thing is a common place for broken solder connections, I suspect that is where my trouble is, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian H

Uxbridge Ont

Guest reddogut

My dash computer display does the same thing, but with all of the warnings. The little red LED is flashing almost non stop on my '83 VR. I get brake fluid low level warning, the headlight out warning, the out of fuel warning (even after I just fill up) and low oil level warning (even though it is full). And I get all these warnings and displays completely randomly. I am guessing my issue is the soldering connections too, but that is a task I haven't gotten to yet.

I was having trouble with my 89 VR with the light coming on. I bled the brakes, both front and back, and replaced the fluid as much as possible in both cylinders. This took care of the problem. I was told at the time, I might have air in the lines.

Hi,

I have an intermittent problem with my brake fluid indicator on the dashboard computerized diagnostics screen.

Have verrified that my fulid levels are ok but sometimes get the dash (0) brake fluid low indicator coming on. It seems to happen vaguely associated with steep left turns but not all. The one pulling away from the stop sign at the end of the road at my dads place seems to do it.

Then in the trouble shooting section I read that to test the switches one should remove both from the master cylinders and test continuity across them. It says that when the swtich units are standing upright (picture shows wires at the bottom) in no fluid there should be zero ohms across them and when turned upside down (wires at the top presumeably), there should be infinity ohms across them.

I tend to beleive the diagram. Any one know for sure which way is up?

I hear that the back of the computer monitor dash board thing is a common place for broken solder connections, I suspect that is where my trouble is, any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian H

Uxbridge Ont

Also check the sensor wiring & connectors, it could be be damaged wires or dirty contacts, with possible intermittant conection.

Remember there are floats on the sensors, a low float level will trigger the sensor. As you can see the sensor wires pass through the bottom of the unit.

As for the CMS it is a possibility, should be checked regardless.

:2cents:

Brian...

I would think that a normal level you have continuity ( 0 ohms), a low level on a reservoir (front or rear)you lose continuity (infinity ohms) and the CMS alarms. That would be a fail safe system...any broken wire / bad connection between CMS, thru the switches to ground would lose continuity and trigger alarm to warn you of a problem (actual level issue or wiring fault).

The "B" Wire picks up a ground, the ground goes thru the Two Switches, which are made, when the fluid level is normal, The Ground from the two Switches is send to the monitor unit thru the " W/B " wire. If you loose the ground at the Monitor unit, the light should flash.