IGNORED

Engine side covers interchange.

I have an '88 1300 with stock engine covers. (clutch, water pump, middle gear, stator, valve covers)

I also have a parts engine from an '85 1200. Are all of these covers interchangeable?

For my winter project I was thinking of trying to do some custom work on all the covers for the '85 and then bolt them onto my '88 if they will fit. I do not care about the differences in nomenclature that is on them. Of course the differences in nomenclature make them different part numbers in the parts lists.

I thought I remember reading that one of the covers is deeper for the 1200 vs the 1300, but I can not find it, and can not remember which way it was.

The clutch cover is where I remember the difference. It is either the new fits the old or the old fits the new but not the other way around. My rememberer says that one has more internal clearance for something. I am hoping that it is the old had more clearance for the big clutch springs and the new with the thin diaphragm spring is the shallow one. IF that is the case then it is a double benefit to me and the plans that my warped little mind is working on..............

I will try to do some measuring on the outside of the covers and see if I can find a difference.

The clutch cover is where I remember the difference. It is either the new fits the old or the old fits the new but not the other way around. My rememberer says that one has more internal clearance for something. I am hoping that it is the old had more clearance for the big clutch springs and the new with the thin diaphragm spring is the shallow one. IF that is the case then it is a double benefit to me and the plans that my warped little mind is working on..............

I will try to do some measuring on the outside of the covers and see if I can find a difference.

It's the other way around Jeff. The 1300 is deeper and will fit the 1200 but not visa versa...

Sooooooo

If I were to put in a Barrnett 6 spring clutch on my 1300 would the 1200 cover then fit?

Maybe?? I'm not positive... time and memory fade.. but we installed a Barnett 6 spring on HDHTR's '89VR and didn't have any clearance problems... But... that was the deeper 1300 cover... LOL sounds like a crime show... 'Deep Cover... I digress.. :-) Anyway another alternative is to swap out the whole clutch assembly from a 1200 6/spring with Barnett HD springs. I did the HD springs on my '83VR. They worked great. Cheaper too!! Every once in a while you can find a 1200 clutch complete on eBay.