IGNORED

OEM Windshield wierd coating

Greetings experts. I have yet another question for you geniuses. So I've been using a technique for years for restoring plexiglass and other plastic stuff with scratches involving 400grit wet/dry, 1600grit wet/dry, then 2000grit wet/dry, then rubbing compound (usually turtle wax rubbing compound - as opposed to turtle wax WAX) then finally a polishing compound like quixx (orange box at wal-mart works great - usually). When I tried that formula on the OEM 2nd Gen RSV windshield I discovered that it has this weird coating on it that does NOT like to be sanded. I was finally able to fix the problem I created for myself by sanding the ENTIRE inside surface of the windshield (as opposed to the 4 square inches I was actually trying to fix in the first place.

So I guess I have two questions:

1. what the hell are these windshields coated with and

2. Anyone have a 2nd gen full-sized RSV windshield to sell?

Okay, I guess I have a 3rd question: has anyone tried one of the aftermarket "oversized" windshields being sold on e-bay? They claim to be a few inches taller and wider than OEM. I'm curious how that impacts aerodynamics etc...

thx,

Danny

Danny,

Let me give you a little insight to what Yamaha has always used for windshield material. And the method you describe works just great on Lucite (aka Plexiglass), but not on LEXAN, which is what your OEM shield is made of.

If you don't already know it, LEXAN is a soft polycarbonate (I think), which in certain thicknesses is almost bullet-proof. In fact it's unbreakable where it will bend before it will ever break. I have taken a piece of 1/4" LEXAN, put it in a vise and beat it into a 90 degree bend without breaking it.

But, what they have done to make it with a hard surface like Plexiglass, is to put a hard surface coating on the exterior called a MR (Mar Resistant) coating. So, once you get a scratch in this thin coating, you are stuck with it and can't do anything with it. And when this coating starts to wear off, you are now down to this soft material that is pretty much useless for a motorcycle windshield because any bug that hits it will make a mar and when you try to clean it off, it just makes it worse.

So the solution to this issue is to buy another shield, preferably one made of Lucite or Plexiglass. Now this material, unlike LEXAN is breakable (with enough impact) but in the thickness they use is pretty stout under any severe condition. But any oem or aftermarket shield you buy from Yamaha is made of LEXAN. The Clearview shields are made of Lucite, which if you get a scratch in one of these shields, you can be polish the scratch out with some Novice #2 and get the shield back to it's original luster.

There you have it,

Rick

I took a trip to the Clearview factory last evening to pick up my shield. They are located about 35 miles SW of Denver in a small community in the mountains. Their modest set up was pretty impressive. The owner has been making shields for over 20 years. They make every shield by hand and place a lot of emphasis on quality control. They produce hundreds of shields and ship all around the world. We discussed the recent "NC" ad video link. John gave me a link to one of their competitors sites that I think pretty much covers all the angles on windshields & their materials. Hope this answers your questions about the material debate. I also was able to snag some scraps that I will test with a hammer later. Check out this site. www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Fairing.html#Windshield

Thanks, DNB

I just ordered a new showchrome not becuase mine is scratched but becuase I need a shorter shield to get into a 10x18 storage building that I have. No major scratches, just a few swirls when riding into the sun. It will probally be a couple of weeks until I get the new one on- but if you want the old one its yours, just get me a shipping address. tj

Muffinman showed me a neat trick when cleaning my shield . Stroke each motion in an up and down direction . So if any small scratches occur , the glare from oncoming headlights or suns rays will not obstruct the vision as much as swirlies will .

I have the XXL tinted Clearveiw and use Lemon Pledge to clean/polish . Always use a clean micro-fiber cloth . When shield is cluttered with lots of bugs , I pre-soak with a wet towel before I clean .

BEER30