IGNORED

NOT VENTURE___Need help finding barometric pressure sensor2008 Ford E-450 w/V10

frankd

A friend of mine passed away and left his wife with a Ford E-450 (with 6.8 V-10 Triton) that started running real rough and the check engine light came on. I noticed that the barometric pressure listed was as being 72 KPA, which is the normal pressure @ 9500', which makes it run real lean at 1100'. I've been told that some of these sensors were under the steering column (I looked), and also some are in the PCM (Power control module). Anybody have any way of finding out where they really are?

A google search shows it being roughly under the dash somewhere above the pedals. Have you scanned it for codes? What codes are you getting? With a Ford V10 always a good idea to check if all the spark plugs are still in the cylinder head......next post has a link.http://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Ray60/2008-12-28_075252_untitledc.JPG

Edited by RSTDdog

RSTDog,

Thanks for the info. I've got a less clear version of the 2nd page you sent me, but your's helps a lot. Also the first page shows what the sensor looks like. If the rain holds off a bit, I'll go out and look some more for it now that I've got more info.

Frank

You also asked about the codes present. Both banks lean. Yes, all the plugs are in the holes and because this is a 3 valve engine, it's not supposed to have all the vacuum leaks the 2 valve version has. When I read the info on my Actron 9180, the barometric pressure reads 72 KPA, which converts to about 21" of mercury of an altitude of 9500'. Our elevation here is about 1100'. The 02 sensors are fine, because I put some propane into the air cleaner and they read about .78V.

Frank

If its the same as the V8 tritons (My Van is 2000 and has the 4.6 V8), Check the PCV line. In the V8 anyway is a hard plastic line with rubber ends molded on it for the intake connection and PCV valve connection. Those are known to be problematic too but maybe they fixed that by 2008. If you look up the part (Baro sensor)on Rock Auto and click the part info they have color pictures of exactly what it looks like.

The 2008 V10 has the 3 valve per cylinder heads. the 2 valve heads prior to 2005 were the ones that only had a few threads on the spark plug holes and tended to blow out if they were not torqued enough. The 3v heads had the notorious 2 piece spark plugs that tended to break off when they are removed. Sometime during the 2008 year Ford changed the head design and went to one piece spark plugs. Irritating and costly plug replacement on the two piece plugs but nothing that can't be dealt with. The V10s never got the variable cam timing like the V8s which could be a troublemaker.

I'm looking but still can't find it. The only thing similiar I found was the turn signal flasher that's kind of underneath the emergency brake pedal.

Yesterday I looked on Rock Auto to see how much it cost, but I couldn't find any listing for it. Maybe they don't sell that item.

I couldn't find it listed on rock auto either by application. May not have one. Googling 2008 E450 6.8 Barometric pressure sensor I only find listings for the 6.0L diesel on fordparts.com. (links below) It is also referred to as a manifold absolute pressure sensor in the part description. If it was that common of a problem as a part failure (BPS) on the V10 there would be more hits for it I would think. A you tube video indicate the BPS reading is derived from the MAF. I saw your post on the ford forum. Sitting 10 months have you checked to make sure nothing has eaten a hole through a line somewhere? Majority of both banks lean issues are typically vacuum/airleak or unmetered air (not going through the MAF). PCV lines known for cracking. Look for cracks damage loose connections in the intake tract ducting.

Are you getting PO171 and 174 codes correct?

https://www.stockwiseauto.com/motorcraft-cx1961-barometric-pressure-sensor?gclid=CLbX2PmuudQCFQUoaQodFNULIQ&fit_id=12587&Year=2008&Make=Ford&Model=E-450%20Super%20Duty&gsID=pxf338533f12587&

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=2008&m=Ford&mo=E-450%20Super%20Duty&cat=Emission%20Control&catId=40751609&scat=Sensors&scatId=40875835#Search

Edited by RSTDdog

I just received the Ford Service manuals for the E series, and it shows that the only engine that has a barometric pressure sensor is the diesel engine. My Actron scanner shows the barometric pressure, so something is telling the PCM what the pressure is. Same with my 06 Freestar---it also shows the barometric pressure but there is no listing for an external barometric pressure sensor.

RST Dog found the following for me....

Ford Workshop Manuals > E 450 V10-6.8L (2008) > Sensors and Switches > Sensors and Switches - Powertrain Management > Sensors and Switches - Computers and Control Systems > Barometric Pressure Sensor > Component Information > Locations

which indicates that the 6.8L does indeed have a barometric pressure sensor. I wonder if....

1)There are 2 different emission systems on these vans,

2)Is there a chance that the barometric pressure sensors in this E-450 and also my Freestar are actually in the PCM.

Anybody have any idea on who I could contact in order to find out more information on this? I've been asking about this on Fordforum.com. Any other sites where I may find some help??

It's fixed!!!!! I stumbled on a video on YouTube that talked about the MAF being dirty and causing the engine to run real lean and also to give you the reading of lower barometric pressure. I'd already looked at the MAF and it appeared to be clean (only 16,000 miles on clock) Hmmm. That meant that the barometric pressure was a calculated number, not from a sensor. I cleaned the MAF and when I started it it was a different sounding engine and the O2 sensors were both in range. I took it for a ride and the indicated barometric pressure reading went from .72 up to .95. I think it's still a little lower than it should be, but it's in closed loop and running good.