IGNORED

LED Turn Signals/Driving Lights

Custom Dynamics makes LED replacement for turn signals that allows them to function as both turn signals and driving lights.

Switching from light bulbs to LED's affects the blinker rate. To correct this, Custom Dynamics recommends a load equalizer, 7.5 ohms to ground

on each light. They caution that unit gets hot, and recommend that unit be mounted under seat. Any suggestions on how to locate unit under seat

and tie into signal wires with the posi-locks?

Thanks!

"Universal 7.5 Ohm* Metric Turn Signal* Load Equalizer w/ connectors

*Simple locate the turn signal wires and snap into place with the supplied connectors. The load equalizer produces and equivalent load of a 7.5 ohms (1.9 amps @ 14VDC), therefore the unit will get* hot. Caution: This load equalizer will get hot, please mount accordingly. Suggested Mounting - Under seat securely mounted to frame rail. Installation: Connection one purple to left turn, remaining purple to right turn, black to ground. Posi-locks are included for quick connections. One load equalizer is needed for each pair of turn signal that are replaced with LEDs on most Metrics."

I used a quad load equalizer and placed it under the passenger seat on top of the rear fender. This way the heat sink contacts the fender directly and offloads the heat. At this spot it was easy to connect to rear harness but I had to run separate wires to the front lights in the channels under the gas tank. Hope this helps. I attached a pic of the quad equalizer. Its from Big Bike Parts.

IMG_20160410_110342.jpg

Positaps are fine connections, much better than those Scotch-lok guillotine type taps, but here is another option that will work under the seat and is even less invasion to the wires. Take one of my aux harness set ups and take the left and right turn signal leads to the heat sink, makes it all very plug and play and no chance of damaging the wire harness. Plus it gives you ready access to the other signal wires if you want to add more lights later.

One of the guys on the Stratoline forums did this and said it worked great.

Here is a link to my ad for a Venture style harness, http://www.venturerider.org/forum/photopost/showproduct.php?product=4&title=aux-lighting-harness-for-2nd-gen-venture&cat=18

Okay, now understand where aux harness is attached. Trike has LED taillights/turn signals and light bulb front running lights/turn signals. Not sure

if rear is isolated from front. Wonder if load equalizers are required by front turn signals. Guess I could order the LED's and try them without

the load. Unsure?

Yes the flasher mod is also an excellent way to go.

One suitably sized load resistor for each side, attached to my aux harness will take care of front and rear, the front and rear circuits are connected as one circuit.

Here is a link that may help. https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flashers-load-resistors/led-light-load-resistor-kit-led-turn-signal-hyper-flash-warning-fix/190/

Hi Steve,

Does not appear to be a flasher mod for Gen 2. Don't see any 5-pin flasher relays with compatible pinout. Will use the load equalizer with your

Gen 2 harness. Sent you email.

Thanks,

Leo

So I just got a copy of the procedure for the Venture flasher from Tank over on the Delphi forums.

Freebird, maybe this is something to add to the Second Gen Read only tech section.

turn signal mod for LEDs.pdf

Steve, Flasher mod looks like a great way to go. Had the flasher in hand but couldn't open it. I was concerned about damaging it. Now I have

a dilemma. Please hold off on sending me the aux harness. I'll take another look at the flasher to see if I can make sense of it. Thanks!