IGNORED

A Bucket List Trip 2.0. Or How I will spend my summer 2.0

The Tooch

Some of you may remember I did a trip with a group of other retired guys that I ride with last summer. We left leaving May 24th 2016 and didn't get back till 31 days and 16,000 kilometres later, in early July.

My friend Steve worked at setting up a blog for our trip which showed our planned route and then it followed along with our travels from day to day.

Well we have been working and setting up our trip for 2017. The planning for this year's trip is posted on the blog and follows right along from where we left off last year. We plan on leaving June 3rd and heading east this time and spending more time traveling in Canada on the way out (The US/CAN dollar exchange is a killer right now!) but will come back through the US. Looks like we'll be over 10,000 kilometres on this year's trip.

If your interested in seeing our plans for this year, or would like to read about our entire trip from last year and then later this summer following along on this year's trip......here is the link to our blog.....

https://friendsandriders.wordpress.com/

:biker:

ROCK AND ROLL BROTHER!!! :dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::thumbsup2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PLEASE - if at all possible - give your ol Dispatch riding brother in Michigan a quick = HEYYYY PUC,, WE'RE LEAVING heads up in the Water Hole when your getting ready to depart will ya? Memory aint as sharp as it used to be and I sure as beans dont wanna miss out on any of your adventure Tooch!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

Some of you may remember I did a trip with a group of other retired guys that I ride with last summer. We left leaving May 24th 2016 and didn't get back till 31 days and 16,000 kilometres later, in early July.

My friend Steve worked at setting up a blog for our trip which showed our planned route and then it followed along with our travels from day to day.

Well we have been working and setting up our trip for 2017. The planning for this year's trip is posted on the blog and follows right along from where we left off last year. We plan on leaving June 3rd and heading east this time and spending more time traveling in Canada on the way out (The US/CAN dollar exchange is a killer right now!) but will come back through the US. Looks like we'll be over 10,000 kilometres on this year's trip.

If your interested in seeing our plans for this year, or would like to read about our entire trip from last year and then later this summer following along on this year's trip......here is the link to our blog.....

Just saved a link to the blog as I want to read through last years trip when I have more time... looking forward to reading up on your adventures in 2017. You will be in my neck of the woods when you go through NB. Make sure you don't just ride through on the 4 laner, take secondary roads and see some of the beauty we offer such as Hopewell Rock, Fundy Park, Fundy Trail and Parkway.....Whish I could get away and do one of those extended trips sometime. Enjoy! :clap2:

Just saved a link to the blog as I want to read through last years trip when I have more time... looking forward to reading up on your adventures in 2017. You will be in my neck of the woods when you go through NB. Make sure you don't just ride through on the 4 laner, take secondary roads and see some of the beauty we offer such as Hopewell Rock, Fundy Park, Fundy Trail and Parkway.....Whish I could get away and do one of those extended trips sometime. Enjoy! :clap2:

Hey Bert

Thanks for the interest and someday your time will come and then you just got to decide to make it happen.

We do as many 2ndry roads as we can. Last year just the 1st two days we did highway slab just to get us out of Canada & down into the US. Occasionally we found we had to take a short run on the slabs, as it was a matter of you can't get there from here, unless you do. But we try to find out of the way places and look for where the locals hang out.

Any info. on the best sites to see & local places to eat are always welcome, we hit a couple of spots last year cause members from here had suggested them.

Hey Bert

Thanks for the interest and someday your time will come and then you just got to decide to make it happen.

We do as many 2ndry roads as we can. Last year just the 1st two days we did highway slab just to get us out of Canada & down into the US. Occasionally we found we had to take a short run on the slabs, as it was a matter of you can't get there from here, unless you do. But we try to find out of the way places and look for where the locals hang out.

Any info. on the best sites to see & local places to eat are always welcome, we hit a couple of spots last year cause members from here had suggested them.

From your itinerary in the blog I am assuming you are taking the ferry crossing from Digby to Saint-John.NB. If that is your starting point and you are going to cross into Maine at St-Stephen, then you will not have many options to get off the superslab on the way. Between Saint-John and St. Andrews you will find Ossie's Lunch stand in Bethel (3034 NB-760, Bethel, NB E5C 0G2). They are famous for their fried clams and sea food, but they are expensive. You definitely want to go and visit St.Andrews. The Algonquin Resort ( http://algonquinresort.com/ ) is worth a look and a visit. There are lots of places with great food on the main drag and prices a more affordable. You could also take a short detour and visit Grand-Manan Island ( http://www.grandmanannb.com/directions.html) or Deer Island ( http://www.deerisland.nb.ca) Both are accessible via ferry rides.

If you are riding from NS to NB then once you get to Moncton you want to cross over to Riverview and then take route 114 up to Fundy National Park. This route hugs the Peticodiac River (Mascaret) and then you can visit Hopewell Rocks ( http://www.thehopewellrocks.ca/), then continue to Fundy National Park (http://www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/Products/Parks/Fundy-National-Park.aspx). From there you would need to follow route 114 up to Penobsquis and take Route 1 (4 laner) up to Sussex to then peel off on route 111 to St. Martin's. Sussex to St.Martins is going through some pretty areas but it is isolated, so ensure tank is full. From St. Martin's you can take a side trip to the Fundy Trail. I placed a link at the end of this post to a video I posted on youtube so you can see if it worth your while. Here is their link also. ( http://www.fundytrailparkway.com/) . From St. Martins you would then take route 111 to Rothesay and you can then proceed to Saint-John via route 1.

If you are taking the ferry from Digby to Saint John, I highly recommend the detour to the Fundy Trail. Its about an hour from Saint John and the trail itself take about 1 hour to ride both way's.

Thats all I have for now. Hope this helps.

(

)

• 2 months later...

Bump

We are on the road and will be up dating the Blog as we go. Just a reminder for those that asked.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.

Tonight is our last night in a motel.....making the last push with tomorrow's ride for home!

IMG_0342.jpg

WELCOME HOME DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looks like some great sights from your blog. It sure must have been cold riding in Newfoundland from reading the blog and viewing the ice and icebergs in the ocean.

So...... the big question. Does it still feel like retirement or with the weather on the trip did it feel like work? Not that work is a bad thing, especially while on your bike.

Glad all is well and you folks made it home safely brother!! Been out of town for a while too - baby sitting the new grand kid - so I missed a lot here on the site.. Got a LOT of catching up to do - including checking out your ride!! :thumbsup: