IGNORED

TCI burnt out, not sure the one i pulled out was even the right one

so my tci in my 1991 VR just gave up the ghost and is totally fried, the one i pulled out is marked as 3JJ-11, the only ones i can find are marked as 3JJ-00. i've got an ignitech V80 but it refuses to work on this bike even though the plugs have been configured for the single pick up.

any one know if the 3JJ-00 will work? or if there is a way to get the v80 working properly?

Edited by Black wing

so my tci in my 1991 VR just gave up the ghost and is totally fried, the one i pulled out is marked as 3JJ-11, the only ones i can find are marked as 3JJ-00. i've got an ignitech V80 but it refuses to work on this bike even though the plugs have been configured for the single pick up.

any one know if the 3JJ-00 will work? or if there is a way to get the v80 working properly?

Also make sure that the ignitech is also configured for a single coil pickup. Not only do you need the correct wiring plugs but it has to have the correct load in the ignitech.. If you dont have the correct files, lets us know and we should be able to help you out.

Rick F.

nope its all proper, i tried setting it up last summer. stock computer worked perfect, ignitech would only fire on 3 and even then i had to move the firing order ahead by one just to get that. i think the pickup coil may be to far out of spec and is screwing it up but i just dont know for sure

Edited by Black wing

If the pickup coil was bad I wouldnt think it would work with the stock TCI either. I would think something with a cap, wire or coil as the Venture is a wasted spark ignition system, so if 3 of them are firing the the 4th one would too. Make sure your adapter harness is good by ohming out the connection to the coil connectors from the TCI plug end. You should get a reading of zero for two of coil connections to one of the pins in the connector for the TCI.

Do you have the wiring diagram for the adapter cable to assist in the troubleshooting? That is where I would start checking first..

If that should good, then pull a cap and get a good plug and check and see if you see spark with it exposed. This would let you see how strong the spark is also.

I hope the helps.

Rick F.

so my tci in my 1991 VR just gave up the ghost and is totally fried, the one i pulled out is marked as 3JJ-11, the only ones i can find are marked as 3JJ-00.

any one know if the 3JJ-00 will work?

Yes, the 3JJ-00 will work.

There may be a glitch in the 3JJ-00, though. It may "hiccup" at steady 55mph, 3100 rpm.

The 3JJ-11 you pulled out is correct for the 1991.

14-94 is main number from what I was told by the techs where I got my box, my experience if that's the program on it the c after that means third build... That would make sense being you have -11 and if 00 had hiccups... Maybe some issues with 3jj-10 also? Maybe 11 was fine tuned.... I don't have a clue really if any of that's the case. But kind of makes sense.. It might be a silly suggestion but I would see if someone has a 91 with ignitec and use there programming. To see if it makes yours work right. The only thing I can think of is it might be possible to have a bad unit.

Living life one curve after the other. Vroom scooting, thru the countryside.

i rewired it for the single pickup, and loaded the proper program. the only way i could make it fire was to move the firing order all down a position.

ide love to try using one that is working proper, but there is no one out here with one