IGNORED

Carb help please....

IMG_0690.jpgHi all, I'm the knucklehead that is having the warm start (not starting actually) flooding condition. Started it cold this afternoon and rode the crap out of it for 50 miles to cycle some Berrymans through it...it runs great until you shut if off and it sits for a few. I thought I had a stuck float but when I pulled my airbox lid it appears that all 4 carbs are dumping fuel....the fuel pump cycles (for whatever the safety cutoff allows) every time you cycle the key. Only seems to do it when the bike has been warmed up, then shut down for 10 or so minutes. It will continue to exhibit this until the bike has completely cooled down again. Last time I tried to start it when it was hot, I noticed this black nipple spewing fuel. The picture shows it's location which is just above and between the front cylinders. Anyone have any ideas??? So far you all have been awesome!!! Edited by Javenmcd

Ok I am litterally dumbfounded how you would have fuel spewing out any where near the front cylinder out of a nipple.... At first glanse it looks kind of like a fuel pump..... but that is at the back of our bikes..... I would like to hear more about this one....:confused:

I have mine apart right now so I went and took a look, if that pic is what I'm seeing on my 1300 one end of that goes to the bowl vent hose network and looks like the other end ties into the charcoal canister. Maybe you have a needle valve stuck open allowing the vent tubes to flood. Also the port that is open to atmosphere on yours is the same on mine.

That almost has to be your YICS chamber in that picture I went out and peaked on mine and I am almost certain, Now as to why it would be leaking gas I have not a clue.... because it connects to the motor with 4 hoses. one of your hoses is not plugged in that is obvious. @bongobobny @yamagrl @Flyinfool would you have a clue what this is for sure and whether or not it should be leaking fuel from it as I am pretty certain this is our YICS chamber.

I have mine apart right now so I went and took a look, if that pic is what I'm seeing on my 1300 one end of that goes to the bowl vent hose network and looks like the other end ties into the charcoal canister. Maybe you have a needle valve stuck open allowing the vent tubes to flood. Also the port that is open to atmosphere on yours is the same on mine.

Dumb question Mine is 83. Is mine missing or does it just have the boost sensor? I totally thought he had one of his YICS chambers hoses off...

Dumb question Mine is 83. Is mine missing or does it just have the boost sensor? I totally thought he had one of his YICS chambers hoses off...

Mine has the same thing in the pic there and it's an 89. I thought that 86+ bikes were no longer equipped with YICS but some fact checking would be a solid idea. I'm still new too the Venture thing so dont quote me on that.

I yanked my carb rack yesterday and the 4 vent hoses that leave the top of each carb merge over the rack into a plastic manifold which Ts into another hose that goes to that part with the open port (dunno what it's called) which would make sense if there is a float/needle sticking than not only would one carb flood the others through the vent hoses but also flood the hose going to that funky part with the open port. I'm going to see if I can find my manual and see what that part is called and what it does.

Mine has the same thing in the pic there and it's an 89. I thought that 86+ bikes were no longer equipped with YICS but some fact checking would be a solid idea. I'm still new too the Venture thing so dont quote me on that.

I yanked my carb rack yesterday and the 4 vent hoses that leave the top of each carb merge over the rack into a plastic manifold which Ts into another hose that goes to that part with the open port (dunno what it's called) which would make sense if there is a float/needle sticking than not only would one carb flood the others through the vent hoses but also flood the hose going to that funky part with the open port. I'm going to see if I can find my manual and see what that part is called and what it does.

When Tinker is getting full in the carbs she literally takes a leak out by the rear tire!!:hurts: All my tubes run towards the back in a group right in front of the rear tire. I will make a suggestion remove your airbox and let the bike run until warm and remove your overflows on the carbs to see if you find the one leaking..

When Tinker is getting full in the carbs she literally takes a leak out by the rear tire!!:hurts: All my tubes run towards the back in a group right in front of the rear tire. I will make a suggestion remove your airbox and let the bike run until warm and remove your overflows on the carbs to see if you find the one leaking..

X2 on that, stellar idea and would be conclusive. Also a quick pic of the top of the carbs when the airbox is off would show us exactly what goes where. I cant find that part in my manual, elusive little bastad!

I wonder if 85 back and 86 forward have the routing different r/t presence or absence of YICS? I missed what year the OPs bike is. Of course it will run like crap w/o the air box installed, but it will run.

Looks like I'll need to change the oil, get it running and try and duplicate my issue. Will it be obvious where the overflows are on each carb? I apologize for my ignorance....but that's why I'm asking you guys!

With the airbox off you should have a clear view of the bowl vent tubing. The fuel supply comes from the rear of the bike into the carb rack, and over the top you will see the bigger tubes that are bowl vent, hopefully never overflow but under these circumstances, yea. If you get it down to that point and snap pic we should be able to see it. On mine the bowl vents exit the rack forward.

YICS is only on the 83-85's. 86 on they were not installed.

I don't know what that might be. I could look at my 86 parts bike and try to figure it out tomorrow when it's light out. There shouldn't be fuel in anything except the gas tank, fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel lines and float bowls. Even the vent lines shouldn't even have any unless there's a stuck float needle.

Side note...

I changed all of the vent/overflow lines with clear tubing. and color coded the upper and lower ends of the tubes. You can tell without a doubt which one is stuck.

Don't have the drain lines too long because if they are in a slipstream under the bike while riding it can create a low pressure condition in the float bowls and actually draw fuel out. This particular condition is only present during riding and the only symptoms are reduced mpg and a few drips under the bike after stopping. I discovered this after installing my clear lines. My mpg dropped about 2 mpg and every time I shut it off I would find a bit of fuel underneath after about an hour or so. The problem stopped after I shortened the lines a couple of inches.

Here is a good pic of the carbs and YICS chamber from above. The airbox and battery box is out. You can see the clear vent/drain lines and if you look closely you can see the color coding. 2 is no color, 1 is black, 3 is blue and 4 is orange.

Hey silly me here, where did you find the clear tubing at?

Didn't know that. Good to know mom has plant of oxygen tubing. Not sure if the piece will fit on our carbs .

02 tubing is primarily vinyl, might not play nice with petrol for the long haul but you should be able to find some clear line suitable for fuel, probably not very expensive either.