IGNORED

Tough call

Guest shoveldog

Guest shoveldog

I haven't been here in a while, but I've been busy. One of my best friends packed it in just before Christmas. First year I had the RSTD I rode down to Norfolk VA to spend a couple of days with him and get in some riding. I knew he was fighting some health issues, but I didn't know he was as bad off as he was.

It came as a complete surprise frankly, but he left me his black '05 Road King Classic and his almost new F150. I knew he had bought the HD last summer, but I didn't even know about the truck. Another close friend drove me down in January and we picked them up (the estate needed them out of there quickly).

I really like the RSTD and had no plans to replace it, probably ever. I have put almost 600 miles on the RK in the last couple of weeks trying to make up my mind about it. For those of you that haven't had the pleasure, the RK is old school compared to an RSTD, but certainly a hoot to ride, competent, comfortable, a bit less bulk to paddle around, and seems reliable. It's fuel injected, has the cruise control I got used to, and a few neat accessories and a lot of chrome: I gotta say it's a beautiful thing. That and the fact that it was Bobbie's bike, I don't think I can bear to part with it now.

Man this is gonna hurt!

Very sorry to hear about your friend. I'm sure it would be hard to part with anything that you were given in a case like this.

The Road King is a very nice bike, that would be a hard decision.

Again I'm sorry to hear about your friend.

Jerry

Guest tx2sturgis

I see a bunch of add-on chrome stuff on that bike...its gorgeous. It sounds like your friend really wanted you to have it...along with the truck.

I'd be tempted to keep the Road King for around town, poker runs, that sort of thing....and use the TD for the longer road trips.

Sorry to hear that a man of that caliber is now gone. Condolences my friend.

I too am sorry you have lost your friend. He had great taste in bikes, 'cause that's a pretty one, for sure! He obviously thought very highly of you as well, to leave these possessions to someone he knew well, considered a friend and knew would appreciate & care for them. Sounds like he cared a lot about you. Take solice in that! Those kinds of friendships are to be cherished and remembered throughout our lives. You are fortunate to have had a close friend, such as this!

For now, I would keep it, ride it and remember my friend! Let some time pass, then think about what to do with it. Although, I tend to agree with tx2stugis; keep it for use around town & such. But, if that conflicted with how you use your RSTD, then go ahead an sell the RK after a period of time and take a portion of the money and make a donation to an organization or charity he would have approved of.

Another option: I don't know the legallities involved, but you could have a raffle among like minded folk (like here at vr.org, as an example), so that you know it would be well cared for and appreciated. As before, I'd wait for awhile, then worry about it.

"God [is] our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46:1

"And He arose, and rebuked the wind, and said unto the sea, Peace, be still. And the wind ceased, and there was great calm." Mar 4:39

"Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee: He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved." Psalm 55:22