IGNORED

First time for leaking fluids....

I have owned my '99 RSV for approx 2-1/2 years and put almost 30k miles on it during that time. Never once have I ever had any leaks from the engine area. A few drops from the rear shock which I replaced a few weeks ago, but never the engine.

No pics yet. :8:

Anyhow, I parked the bike on Tuesday of last week after the ride home from work, and didn't ride it any since. I did start it up on Thursday just checking my battery. It has been giving me some issues recently and on it's way out. There were no drops on the floor at that time.

Yesterday, I noticed a wet spot on the concrete about 3" diameter just forward of the kickstand and directly under the crankcase cover and another spot slightly smaller directly under the left lower fairing. There was a very small line of what felt and looked like oil down the crankcase cover coming from under the left side front cylinder cover. Did not have time to pull the cylinder cover and inspect, but I don't know of too many places that it could be coming from. Head? Valve cover? What's odd, it wasn't there Thursday when I started the engine up for a few minutes.

This morning, the crankcase cover does NOT have any oil and the 3" diamter spot is still about the same size. BUT......the smaller spot under the left fairing is much larger this morning. Maybe 6" diameter. So, I laid on the concrete and could see a drop of liquid hanging onto the bottom back lip of the fairing. Between my fingers, it does not feel like water, but didn't feel like oil either and had no noticeable odor.

Had to leave the bike and come to work (drove truck), but has had me concerned :puzzled: all morning. Don't need any leaks. Forward lead under the fairing possible coolant?

I just find it odd that I have 2 apparent different leaks, at the same time during a rare 5 day sit period. I ride the bike almost every day and am one that always looks under the bike for leaks as I walk up to it.

I did change the oil 2 weekends ago and the clutch reservoir has been leaking down the past year. Have had to refill it twice. In the 2-1/2 years that I have owned the bike, I have never had to add coolant. Reservoir has maintained a fairly consistent level

2 Questions:

• What is the likely place for oil leak behind the cylinder cover?
  • Is there anything besides coolant that could be dripping from the lower left fairing?

Sure sounds like the cylinder plugs under the fins. At least the small spot. If so, very easy and cheap fix. You will have to pull the cylinder cover before you can tell. Look through the posts in the following thread and you will see some good pictures of what I'm talking about.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?82619-coolant-leak

Sounds to me like you have a leaking clutch slave cylinder. Very typical issue and the level going down in the clutch MC reservoir is one clue.

I thought about this, but the clutch slave is much further toward the back of the engine. One thing that is odd, is I have never seen any oil in my garage or on my driveway from the clutch. It's not dripping at all. Both times that I had to refill though, it was down to the point the clutch was not fully releasing.

It will most likely be Wednesday evening before I get a chance to pull the cylinder cover and faring.

Sure sounds like the cylinder plugs under the fins. At least the small spot. If so, very easy and cheap fix. You will have to pull the cylinder cover before you can tell. Look through the posts in the following thread and you will see some good pictures of what I'm talking about.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?82619-coolant-leak

I do believe you are correct in you analysis.:bowdown: Went out to the garage before heading to work this AM, and the leak is still occurring (moved bike yesterday to concrete that has epoxy painted floor). The leak under the bike is the color of the coolant and the trickle down the crankcase cover is in the indention directly under the plug.

So, I guess I will do the washer trick til the 4 plugs come in, assuming they don't make it by this weekend. Best I can tell, this is the part number.

PLUG 90338-11152-00 $4.84

I thought about this, but the clutch slave is much further toward the back of the engine. One thing that is odd, is I have never seen any oil in my garage or on my driveway from the clutch. It's not dripping at all. Both times that I had to refill though, it was down to the point the clutch was not fully releasing.

It will most likely be Wednesday evening before I get a chance to pull the cylinder cover and faring.

it may not be the slave leaking but the line to it. theres a junction on the left side where the rubber line transition to the steel i had the small puddle a couple weeks back about the size of a quarter. an 1/8th of a turn with a fitting wrench and no more leak.