IGNORED

Sputters in RES

leo3wheel

Always turn petcock ON when using bike and turn it OFF when not. Never use RES... Well, this week I turned the petcock to RES

with a full gas tank, and engine started sputtering. Switched back to ON, and all was fine. Is it possible the RES portion of tank

has bad gas or maybe the petcock is the issue? Thanks!

Leo, without going into a long explanation, put the petcock in OFF, pull the hose off, switch to reserve and drain the water that is in the bottom of your tank into a clear jar. Trust me I have had the same problem. Over time water will collect in the bottom of the tank.

[ QUOTE=leo3wheel;988630]Okay, I'll try to drain any water before I disassemble the petcock. Thanks!

You may want to drain all the gas out if your tank if it isn't full. If it is, go for a ride and run the tank down, then drain the rest out. flush with sea foam this should clean the screens on the petcock. then fresh gas and sea foam mix and go for a ride with it in reserve. I leave mine in reserve all the time now. Never have to worry about water collecting in bottom of tank anymore.

Bob, Just got back from ride to Maggie Valley. Didn't bother to fill tank when I got home, because I knew I had to do something. It's probably just as easy to drain the whole tank and fill fresh with good dose of Seafoam. Will definitely set to RES when finished. Problem is I developed a respiratory problem from my trip and have a medical procedure scheduled for Monday. Will wait until after my procedure to inhale gas fumes. Will report back with results! Thanks for your help! Leo

Bob, Just got back from ride to Maggie Valley. Didn't bother to fill tank when I got home, because I knew I had to do something. It's probably just as easy to drain the whole tank and fill fresh with good dose of Seafoam. Will definitely set to RES when finished. Problem is I developed a respiratory problem from my trip and have a medical procedure scheduled for Monday. Will wait until after my procedure to inhale gas fumes. Will report back with results! Thanks for your help! Leo

Sorry to hear that Leo. Get well soon.

Here's the outcome. Removed main tank, dumped out all gas, added good dose of Seafoam and slushed it around, reinstalled tank and filled tank with fresh gas. M/C now runs great on RES. So both M/C and me survived our procedures. Hooray! Thanks for your advice!!