IGNORED

2007 rsv fuel pickup

Chrisfoth

My 2007 rsv will only burn 4.5 of the six gallon tank usually when running on fumes the most I can get in it is 4.3 gallons. On a trip this week I ran out of fuel on I 81 in VA and could only pack 4.5 gallons in it. I would like to go 200 miles between fill ups and averaging 42-44 mpg this should be easy. I died at 185

Did you switch over to reserve? Its difficult to get the tank full to its capacity, some people have poked holes in filler neck to vent air from top of tank while filling. I was able to get over 200 miles a tank on my 06 but would generally look for gas around 160miles.

Craig

I used a auto center punch to put 3 or 4 holes towards the top of the filler neck as mentioned. It will allow air to vent out as you fill the tank. Otherwise once fuel gets to the baffle or whatever they call it, air backs up in tank and you have to wait for it to "burp". Mine would run about 175-185 on road trips before I had to switch to reserve. If I stopped close to swap time was about 4-4.5 gal. Most I ever put in was lie 5.9, and I was sweating bullets the last 25 miles or so.

yes that sounds about like hitting reserve on my 99, Something wrong with your reserve? My low fuel light sender is kaput. So I've been hitting reserve at 180 to 200 miles at 60-65 MPH,

If I fuel soon after, I get about 4.5 to 4.9 gallons in so I figure that gives me an easy 50 miles after switching to reserve to find a gas station...... I haven't punched holes in the neck , yet.

Gotta look into what I can do to fix the sender. Had it out yesterday and it showed about an ohm on the bench anywhere on red/green to the sender, to ground.

So you're new. You are aware of the on off reserve on the petcock LH front of the tank? Handle down is on, forward - off, up reserve position.