IGNORED

Lowering the "front" of an 05 RSTD

I've read all of the threads and don't see anything about lowering the front of a 05 RSTD. (everthing has to do with the VR) Not the same set up. The air valve is very close to the handlebars and I don't see how I could slide the tubes up without handlebar risers. I know that barons sells a kit, but too much $ for me.

Has anyone done this? If so, do you have any pics of the process?

Steve

Are you the original owner and are you sure it hasn't already been done. Just found out recently that the PO of mine lowered the front end and the valves are as you described. Pretty darn close to the handle bars.

Good question, I'm not the original owner, but I do have his phone# and I'll give him a call.

That would be great if it was already done!

Thanks,

Steve

It sounds like it was, the way you describe it. I didn't realize mine had been done until I looked at Don's thread about the air balancer kit for the front forks:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=497

Look at some of the first couple photos and see that the top of the forks is even with the top of the triple tree.

• 1 month later...

Look at some of the first couple photos and see that the top of the forks is even with the top of the triple tree.

Hi, also looking to reduce height on my bike a tad.

Soooooo, if the top of the forks are even with the top of the triple tree, is that as low as it can go?

Mine are that way so I can assume it was already lowered?

Thx.

Hi, also looking to reduce height on my bike a tad.

Soooooo, if the top of the forks are even with the top of the triple tree, is that as low as it can go?

Mine are that way so I can assume it was already lowered?

Thx.

No, mine actually stick up about 1/4, measured from the side, from being flush like the photos.

When the forks are even with the top of the tree it is stock. What I want to do is have it stick up 1".

Doing the back now.

Steve

Are you putting risers on the bars? If not I don't think you'll have enough room to make it up 1". I may be wrong because I didn't do mine, I'm just going by what's sticking out of the top of the tree now. I have no risers so the air valve is very close to the bars now.

• 5 months later...

Regarding front lowering on the RSTD (2006):

I had mine lowered yesterday. Correct, you can not lower the RSTD as much as the Venture. Before you try, look at the distance between the top of the air tubes and the bottom of the handlebars. that is about 1/2". If you do a little trimming on the stock washers that hold the handle bar (drill out the hole on the large bottom washer so it can be used on the top, and then the original top washer to the bottom nut) you can go 1/2".

If you do no customizing, you can only get a about 1/4", if you modify the washers you can get the 1/2",,,, less just a little gap.

We were disappointed when we could not go the 7/8" as noted on the Ventures. I believe the stock Venture bars must bend up from the triple tree sooner than the RSTD bars, thus giving the Venture plenty of room for the adjustment.

Just the same, you can feel some difference with the 1/2". Just labor. It is worth it, for the ride.

I don't know if the kit can get the 7/8", but I will stop at 1/2".

We also tightened the bearings while there to get out some of the free turn it has gotten over the last 44K miles.

Mike G in SC 11/08

You can lower the front by installing a Barons kit.. but be forewarned.. it's a little work. The kit includes a Racetec gold valve, a replacement spring, and a spacer to go on the damper bar inside the fork tubes. The install requires you completely remove and disassemble the fork tubes. I don't consider myself a master mechanic or anything, but I'm pretty good with a wrench. On a scale from 1 to 10, I'd rate this a good 7.