IGNORED

Valve cover gaskets from Hong Kong?

luvmy40

The gaskets are $38.50 ea. at the local Yamaha shop. $8.50 ea. for the cover bolt seals.

I ordered both gaskets and 16 bolt seals for $69.82 delivered on ebay. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the gaskets are decent quality.

When I did my valve shim inspection I went with the 2nd gen gaskets. Much easier to keep them lined up on the installation. They were supplied by skydoc with the shim kit he sends around. No runs, no drips, no errors.

The gaskets are $38.50 ea. at the local Yamaha shop. $8.50 ea. for the cover bolt seals.

I ordered both gaskets and 16 bolt seals for $69.82 delivered on ebay. I'll just keep my fingers crossed that the gaskets are decent quality.

I know folks whom have used them and not had problems. Not me by the way. Soaking the old ones in VM&P naptha will keep the originals soft and supple for a shim job or two.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, they fit nicely and look great but they leak worse than the old gaskets did. Leaking from every D and a couple other places. Enough that I had to add 1/2 a quart today after pulling the sump down to half window a couple weeks ago. Maybe 200 mi.

I put new bolt cushions on at the same time and re torqued twice. No luck.

I'll get factory gaskets and redo them this off season since I'm going to do a full on rebuild of the carbs anyway.