IGNORED

Tranfering Microsoft Streets & Trips froutes to Garmin GPS

M61A1MECH

I am not sure if this has been discussed before or not, I did not find any threads when I searched for it.

I have never figured out Base Camp, but I am pretty good with Streets and Trips, but until now had not found a concise set of directions for doing a file transfer from S&T to a Garmin.

I just ran across a very clear concise set of instruction to import Streets & Trips routes to a Garmin. I can tell you that the process works as far as getting the GPX file imported to the Garmin and when using the preview function in the Garmin the route on the GPS it looks correct.

I have not done any trips using this file transfer method, so I cannot vouch that the route that Garmin GPS uses is exactly the route I planned. In the post I saw on the Goldwing rider forum a few years ago someone mentioned needing to use multiple waypoints in S&T to force the Garmin software to follow the route you want. As soon as I can I will test this process out and report back, in the meantime here are the instructions I found. Try them out and let us know how it works.

IMPORT STREETS AND TRIPS TO GARMIN.pdf

Before going to Canada a couple weeks ago I set up and saved route I wanted to take using Base Camp. I loaded it into my GPS. When I was leaving the hotel in Cornwall Ontario, I selected my "custom route" which was listed as Cornwall to Minden. Once the custom route loaded, it took me around the round a bout in front of the hotel and back into the parking lot.....end of trip...

Obviously I still haven't figured it out either.

Steve Base Camp was confusing as !@#$%. I bet I read half dozen sites with tricks to make routes. Mapsource wasnt much better. I discovered TYRE. Its free and easy to use to me. Works kind of like S&T. What I like about S&T is you can put in you want to ride for X hours and take a break for say 20 min. You can figure in how far a tank of gas is and it will tell you about where youll have to stop. Then it figures it all out and gives you how long your day will be. TYRE on the other hand just gives you how long in hours not accounting for stops. But it imports easy as make route, connect device, select import tab and boom its there.

IIRC, you cannot import "routes" from S&T to Garmin Basecamp (or Mapsource or directly to some Garmin GPSs). The file transfers waypoints and Basecamp constructs a route through them. While this distinction may not be important for most trips, S&T and Garmin may route on different roads.

BTW, I really like S&Ts also. Do all my LD Rally routing on S&T and then export the waypoints to Basecamp for loading into the Garmin GPS. I route point to point rather than a complete route. Keep the PtoP listing on a card in the map window on my tank bag. This prevents the GPS route going out into the weeds if you want to take a detour to see something interesting.

RR

I'm behind the times and cheap. My S&T is like 09. It does not make GPX files only EST which are some sort of secret Microsoft code thing. I did do some investigation and either the 2011 version and I know the 2014 version will export GPX. But I d/l a trial today of the 2013 but it is only good 14 days, and they still want like $80 bucks or something for this program.