IGNORED

starting problems

I have an 07 that developed a starting issue. I think it is the batter I just haven't had time to check. I figure I will throw this on here and you smart guys can tell me what to check.

About a month ago, when starting the bike, when you pushed in the starter button nothing would happen, you would see the lights dim a little bit, some times you could hear the starter click, push the starter button a few times and wham bike starts. However if it doesn't fire right over it doesn't want to start, the engine may turn over but wont fire off.

Well the last couple weeks it has gotten worse. What is funny after riding it, if you turn off the bike and try to start it backup a couple minutes later, it wont start, let it sit for 10+ minutes it will usually start.

Saturday rode about 70 miles, stopped for breakfast, bike sat for about 45 min, and hard time starting. rough time getting the starter to engage, then when it did just turned over and sputtered, finally started.

Rode 70 miles back, stopped for gas by a station near my home, I didn't think it would start.

Got it home wont start, at least I got it home. Sometimes I can get it to turn over but doesn't seem like it is getting enough juice send a spark.

I haven't had time to troubleshoot yet. I will see if I can get it started and check the voltage at the batter while running.

if this was a car, I would say the batter is bad. Batter condition is unknown. I have had the bike a year, put about 10k miles on it and this is the first major issue

The only thing that sucks is I have a meeting this week in Saint Simon Island, I was planning on riding over, guess I will take the car

Check the connections to the battery. If these are ok connect a voltmeter across the battery and monitor the voltage readings when the starter button is pressed.

Then report back your findings.

Cheers .

Winston66.

Northampton, Western Australia

In these cases, in my opinion, there are two things you check before anything else. Battery connections and battery. I've seen people spend money and chase wiring and work on carbs too many times only to find out that the battery is just worn out. Take it out, make sure it's fully charged, take it somewhere and have it load tested.

Check the connections to the battery. If these are ok connect a voltmeter across the battery and monitor the voltage readings when the starter button is pressed.

Then report back your findings.

Cheers .

Winston66.

Northampton, Western Australia

Back from my trip.....

I put a volt meter on the batter, now it has sat for 4 days without being started. I hooked up the voltmeter and it was right at 12 volts. when I turned the key on, it went to 11.5, but started ok. The volts quickly went up to 13.2 a little higher if I gave it some gas. I turned off and stayed at 12.5 for a bit, then when I turned it on, but not starting it, it went back to 11.5. Left meter on for about half hour, volts backup to 12.2 turn on key to accessories no change, with radio going for a couple min then starting to go down, then turn key all the way on, headlights and all the good stuff, drops to 11.5

I guess I will take out and take to batter shop and let them test it.

My 01 Victory if very funning with the battery. If you have a poor connection or battery getting weak, it is a pain to start, and keep running