IGNORED

Buikding a Fairing, Need advice,..

DarrinGT

Putting together a Fairing for our new 2007 Yamaha Royal and I am looking for advice on audio,.

Here is the fairing, set up for 6X9 Speakers and a car radio.

I have some 6X9 speakers but am not sure where to go with the audio. I mostly use my Cell Phone on Pandora for tunes on our 97, Just had a Shark Audio installed with gauges. On this on I am not installing gauges, so I have room to install a normal car radio.

I would also like the option to control the volume with my thumb on the passengers side, so some sort of a remote control.

Then I see these GPS systems that have audio also,

Just looking for ideas and what works for you. We are planning to have this bike for years and many miles to come so I onlly want to do this once.

Thanks for any input!

20160707_174222.jpg20160708_174544.jpg20160708_174554.jpg

Edited by DarrinGT

Are you talking about something like this? I can tell you I had a 900 Vulcan I put a fairing on, and had issues with 3 car type stereo's I tried. First was a pioneer marine band with CD changer and a remote box that plugged in. The cord was like 6ft long so I had shorten that up to start. The dimensions listed for radio it should fit. Well yea kind of. It had a big heat sink on the back that lacked a 1/4" of fitting into the radio hole because the fairing was sloped. So I just filed off the edge until it fit. Got it all installed, used velcro to attach the control to either the handlebar or I could move a couple zip ties and attach to spedo housing in center of tank. All this engneering for it to work about 2 weeks. Shook something loose inside case (I later fixed it and its in my old truck now.) But because I had filed off the tip of the heat sink, no warranty. So now whats a guy to do. I looked aroun locally and found one listed at Wally World for "ATV" Hmm thats should be rugged right? First one lasted a week, second maybe 2 both went back to store.

So looking on e-bay for options I decided on a small compact radio like this. 500097842_o.jpg I ditched the el-crapo speakers as I had some Sont Explodes in the bike. This radio would not run them very loud though so I ended up getting a small amp. I built a face plate so it all fit into the standard radio hole. I used ear buds more than the speakers as over about 45 or so it just gets to much distorted. Evne my RSV and Vic are like that much over 45 or so and the wind washes out the music. So I see now there are some much nicer small compact units on e-bay, looky here.

this was my Vulcan set up.

windshield bag web.jpgHard to see but look under the bag you can see units side by side. Here is a pic with the car radio. rear view2.jpgCouldn't play CD because door would no open due to handlebar interference. LOL I forgot about that.

Great Info Dion, thanks for posting

Are you talking about something like this?

Not shure, Just looking for input, Looks like a cool unit and it might fit in the fairing, but I do use my phone for gps also, I just dont know what is the best way to go.

So looking on e-bay for options I decided on a small compact radio like this. Attachment 106236 I ditched the el-crapo speakers as I had some Sont Explodes in the bike. This radio would not run them very loud though so I ended up getting a small amp. I built a face plate so it all fit into the standard radio hole. I used ear buds more than the speakers as over about 45 or so it just gets to much distorted. Evne my RSV and Vic are like that much over 45 or so and the wind washes out the music

That is close to the setup I had in my 97 fairing with the same results. Pretty washed out as highway speeds.

20160628_141516.jpg

So I see now there are some much nicer small compact units on e-bay, looky here.

That link didn't, but I have been looking on ebay for ideas as well.

Very nice looking setup on both radio options, My thought is that a good car stereo would work btter for sound than the compact ones.

Thanks again for your input,..

Darrin,

What brand is that fairing? Does it come with brackets to install right on the RSTD, or are you gonna hafta rig it?

I dont know what brand it is, I bought it from Dingy who had it new and never used it. It does come with the correct brackets and looks to be close to a bolt in deal. I will be exploring that in the next day or so as I want to get it mounted before I get it painted.

Pretty sure it is close to this one minus the gel coat. It has the same brackets as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351742480190?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here is a pic of one of my brackets:

20160712_084743.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some time to work on the Fairing. First of all it says on the ebay ad, "Strongly suggest Professional Installation..." I am doing it myself anyway,..lol,..

That said, this brand of fairing not a simple Bolt In Procedure. It takes some modification to get it installed correctly but not bad."

First of all here is the radio that I am installing, Why this one,.? Because it was what I had sitting around my shop. I just picked up the water resistant marine radio install cover.

20160718_105032.jpg

Speakers are Kickers,, Not marine grade but they are good speakers at a good price. In 4 years the speakers on my old bike never got wet so I will risk it,.

20160718_104947.jpg

Bracket installed, Sorry don't know how to turn the pic,.. The bottom drops on the stock windshield bracket but had to be widened quite a bit. The top bots to the stock windshield bolt. It had to be widened out as well. Notice there are 2 bolts where the fairing will bolt to,..

20160723_094943.jpg

I decied it needed 3 bolts for the fairing, and installed large washers to help spread the stress of the load points. No holes in the fairing, I needed to mark and drill them as well.

20160723_140506.jpg

More in the next post,..

Pic of the face of the fairing installed,

20160723_133256.jpg

Next to do is to cut the radio hole for the Radio Cover, got that installed:

20160723_152614.jpg

Test Fit with the windshield:

20160723_142040.jpg

Front view:

20160723_142105.jpg

Might even get some HD Fairing Mirrors and loose the Yami Mirrors

20160723_152711.jpg

I want to get it all mocked up/installed, then dissasemble it to have it painted.

That is it for now,..

Today's progress.

I disassembled everything, and sprayed the inside of the fairing and the Dash board side with a product called Gravel Tek, It is an rock guard protection but not as thick as a bedliner. I put 2 coats on the inside for sound deadening and to make the fairing just a little bit stronger. One coat on the dash board side to add texture to it. Next work on getting it painted... That I will leave up to a professional,...

20160724_154835.jpg

Dash board side,..

20160724_154846.jpg

Looks professionally installed to me. The one I posted on my 900 Vulcan was supposed to be for a HD Road King or something. SO I had to make mount brackets also. I used part of the Memphis Shades bracket. But also had to make the sort of half moon brackets like yours. I used some sections of floor planks I had around. Almost same thickness at the stainless brackets they sent and way easier to drill. I used cardboard first to mock up, then the wood and when finalized drilled metal.

Looks professionally installed to me. The one I posted on my 900 Vulcan was supposed to be for a HD Road King or something. SO I had to make mount brackets also. I used part of the Memphis Shades bracket. But also had to make the sort of half moon brackets like yours. I used some sections of floor planks I had around. Almost same thickness at the stainless brackets they sent and way easier to drill. I used cardboard first to mock up, then the wood and when finalized drilled metal.

Thanks, Good idea with the cardboard mock up and using floor planks. Anyting can be done with a little ingenuity! SInce this is the second one that I have done I am not ascared,..lol

Just a little addition, Kuryakyn Volt Gauge,

. 20160726_075826.jpg

20160726_080202.jpg

20160726_080526.jpg

I am taking the gas tank to the paint supply shop to have some paint to match then dropping the fairing off at my buddy's body shop today, Hope to have it basck by the end of the week!

[h=1][/h]

Yea have been a fabricator for decades. Aircraft mechanic by trade, but racer for ever. LOL So to be able back in my racing days to build a car where I was, you couldnt just surf the net to find race car parts. If you needed something you designed it.

Got the wiring done up to the fairing, into a 4 way plug. I will be able to easily unplug and remove the fairing and pop on the windshield. Wiring it simply 12V constant for the radio memory, 12v Ignition and Ground.

20160727_073308.jpg

I also got the paint for the fairing, The Red is a 3 step process. Does this look like $170.00 worth of paint to you.... lol Got the Pinstriping in yesterday as well. Scheduled to get painted on next Tuesday.

20160727_075350.jpg

Ye haw,..

• 3 weeks later...
Lookin' REAL good Darrin!! Betcha those 6 x 9's sound GREAT!

Three is no way for it to sound bad. Kicker speakers cost like hell, but they are worth the price. I have 2 4" Kickers in Kicker pods on my bars and I am about to install 2 more in the Saddle bag storage compartments for the rear.

Thanks guys, So far so good, we did 250 miles on it Sunday and Monday and we love it. I usually only listen to tunes when riding alone so I was able to do more of that yesterday. It works great 65 and under, but at highway speeds it is still hearable, and usable but a little washed out. Still good enough.

BigLeny, Yes I did get the paint, but I didn't "do" the paint. I aint that talented,.. the Burgundy was a 2 step process, the black was a single step. I special ordered the pinstripe so it matches about 85% close, then clear over the whole thing. Paint was not cheap, $175.00 for the paint, and I paid my buddy $300.00 for labor. Pinstripe was 20 bucks shipped.

The paint pattern was a little different on this one, I couldn't do the burgundy on top, and black on the bottom 2 tone because the front fender is Bass Ackwards from the rest of the bike, Black on top, Burgundy on the bottom. So I decided to try to carry the divider line from the Bags, to the tank, to the fairing. Then to tie in the front, I went up the front center of the fairing with the black. I think it tied the bike together pretty well.

Edited by DarrinGT

Thanks guys, So far so good, we did 250 miles on it Sunday and Monday and we love it. I usually only listen to tunes when riding alone so I was able to do more of that yesterday. It works great 65 and under, but at highway speeds it is still hearable, and usable but a little washed out. Still good enough.

BigLeny, Yes I did get the paint, but I didn't "do" the paint. I aint that talented,.. the Burgundy was a 2 step process, the black was a single step. I special ordered the pinstripe so it matches about 85% close, then clear over the whole thing. Paint was not cheap, $175.00 for the paint, and I paid my buddy $300.00 for labor. Pinstripe was 20 bucks shipped.

The paint pattern was a little different on this one, I couldn't do the burgundy on top, and black on the bottom 2 tone because the front fender is Bass Ackwards from the rest of the bike, Black on top, Burgundy on the bottom. So I decided to try to carry the divider line from the Bags, to the tank, to the fairing. Then to tie in the front, I went up the front center of the fairing with the black. I think it tied the bike together pretty well.

I think you did awesome! You can tell you put a lotta thought into it, and you're a detail oriented guy. Love it!