IGNORED

Spark Plug Wire Cap

Anybody have the exploded view of the guts inside or pictures of how to disassemble, clean and reassemble the assembly?? There was a post on facebook that I was trying to help out with. Been a couple of years since I took one apart and I can't remember how they are assembled...

It's been a while since I took mine apart.

If I remember correctly you unscrew the screw inside the cap. Then you'll have a ceramic resistor with silver ends, a brass disc and a spring (not necessarily in that order, but I think that might be the order)

One thing you don't want to do is clean the resistor with anything abrasive. This will totally screw up the resistor and will render it useless.

I know I was talking with V7Goose one time about replacement caps from NGK and we really couldn't find any that had the same shape as the rear caps had.

I just looked at the cost of the Yamaha version of those caps and they run about $26.00 on part shark. Would me nice to find some NKG cause they run around $2.00 or so. They don't have any 10 ohms that I could find.

Hope this was helpful and didn't digress too much. :D

Edit: I found this on line. It gives a cut away of a plug cap. While this is not the one we have it may help http://www.oldjapanesebikes.com/mraxl_GT_Resource/manuals/etc/index.php

Just click on the NGK cap decode link.

Okay, I found a PDF that shows more closely to what we have. It appears that the order is plug screw, resistor (our's is shorter than the ones shown in this plug BTW), brass disc, then the spring. So the spring goes first then, the brass disc, then the resistor and finally the screw connector. BTW, I think 2 of my brass discs were broken so I made new ones by filing the head of a small brass screw.

x_plug_cap_conversion.pdf

Edited by gibvel

Do you know the part numbers of the ones for the RSV. Reason I ask is because the fronts are straight and the rears are angled at an odd angle. When I looked on the NGK spec. sheet the straight ones looked like they would work but the measurements of the ones between straight and 90° wouldn't have worked.

I'm assuming you didn't get any for the RSV because you have a 1st gen. is that correct?

Call the auto parts store...if the don't have them in stock, have them order some in (it's no skin off their teeth, if they don't stock them they'll just get sent back to the warehouse). When they get in ask them if you can compare them to the ones on your bike....if they don't fit return them. I used to work for O'Reilly....that's standard practice.

Do you know the part numbers of the ones for the RSV. Reason I ask is because the fronts are straight and the rears are angled at an odd angle. When I looked on the NGK spec. sheet the straight ones looked like they would work but the measurements of the ones between straight and 90° wouldn't have worked.

I'm assuming you didn't get any for the RSV because you have a 1st gen. is that correct?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venture-Royale-XVZ1300-Spark-Plug-Wires-Black-XVZ1300-XVZ/262456564091?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37182%26meid%3Dbfbce0e1610f4668adb65810a360c589%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D391457683998

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venture-Royale-XVZ1300-Spark-Plug-Wires-Black-XVZ1300-XVZ/262456564091?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D37182%26meid%3Dbfbce0e1610f4668adb65810a360c589%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D391457683998

Look into this guy... See if he can get 2nd gen wires....