IGNORED

MP3 recommendations

whozleft

I'm looking a buying a new MP3 player for use on the bike. Anyone have good luck with one they'd like to share?

I currently have an old cheapy that's going south and doesn't like to work right anymore.

Here's my list of things I'd like:

1. Low to Medium price range.

2. No video needed

3. Minimum 2g memory

4. Good battery life OR

5. Able to plug into outlet on bike.

Thanks for any imnput, suggetsions, etc.

Have a great day.

You may want to consider Sandisc"s Sansa line with the expandable memory. I picked up a 2 gig version on sale for $50 last fall, and a couple of 2 gig microSD cards for $20 apiece later on. Sony makes a pretty good onit as well but a little more money. Right now, after spending over $200 on an IPOD and having the batteries tale a dump a year later I am very anti IPOD. Quite the racket there, for $70 they will replace the batteries via replacing the unit, and it will be a used one, and you lose everything in the unit as well...

I strongly recommend using a cassette adaptor rather than an FM transmitter. Night and day difference.

This is what I use. It's a Creative MuVo V100. It only has 1 gig of storage but is cheap as heck to buy. I just used the arm band and strapped it around the break reservoir. I used a cord to connect it to the aux port in the cassette. Really easy.

http://us.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=215&product=15441

Looks like you can get them for about 20 to 30 bucks on E-Bay.

I just performed the cassette lombotomy (courtesy of the other site), ran a dedicated cable to my ipod and it all resides behind the closed cassette door. You could also run a dedicated power cord in there also. Dan in Denver

The NAVIGATOR got the IPOD nano 4GB. Its great for putting in your shirt pocket or ladies unmentionable holders while at work or in the car.

Not worth beans on the bike. To small and hard to hit the button, vibration from road makes your fingers jump up and down................Ron

Here's what I have... Well mine's only 4G and I paid more than this for it.. No problems in 2 years .. battery still lasts 6 - 10 hours on full charge and is replaceable.. I went through 3 ipods before this. The big thing you want to be looking at is a "flash drive" unit which has no moving parts like a hard drive.

SanDisk Sansa e280 8GB MP3 Video Player $99.98

WALMART WEBSITE

http://reviews.walmart.com/1336/4_6/5/rating.gif 4.6 out of 5 (202 Customer Ratings) Read reviews or write a review

http://i.walmart.com/i/icon/00/00/94/26/9426_100X60.gif

http://i.walmart.com/i/p/00/61/96/59/02/0061965902889_215X215.jpg

Item Description

Everything you need to enjoy music, photos and videos on the run in a slim design. It offers a 1.8" TFT color screen, advanced navigational features with a simple interface and a durable Liquidmetal backing that prevents scratches and cracks.

Key Features & Benefits:8 GB flash memory

Stores up to 2000 MP3 songs or 4000 WMA songs recorded at 128 Kbps 1.8" color LCD screen

Shows song title, artist, album, genre and more in up to 64,000 colors Versatile audio playback options

Supports MP3, WMA, WMA-DRM, MPEG4 and JPEG file formats, and it's compatible with Wal-Mart Music downloads Built-in FM tuner

Offers station presets and you can record your favorite broadcasts, too Audio recording capability

Record FM radio programs from the built-in tuner or record voice with the built-in microphone Interfaces

Provides a fast USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer and a microSD memory card slot for an optional card Rechargeable lithium-ion battery

Plays up to 20 hours of music on a single charge

I went on the cheep side.

I bought a Sansa C250 (2GB and a small screen) MSRP $80, but look for it on sale.... Adorama has them for $65.95 right now, but you might check FatWallet.com or other places as I only did a quick search of the internet for a low price as I have seen them as low as $47.

2GB a lot of music if you used 94 KB/sec setting when you ripped your CD's

For expansion I got two 1GB micro SC cards for free via buy.com and Google Checkout.

I play an album or put it on random.

The Sansa CLIP (4GB model) looks like another good choice, but no expansion slot.

I would suggest that you get a player with an expansion slot!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the price of memory will only go down over time.....

I originally just plugged into the aux jack next to the CD Player, but I had to split the fairing for another reason, so I put in the splitter and another stereo 1/8" cable to the front brake master cylinder. The player is velcroed on and I put a leash on it too...

Battery life is quite long, but you have to charge it via a USB port on your PC or purchase an aftermarket charger.

My original player had an issue, so I returned it to Sansa, and they sent me a new player with all accessories. OOPS I forgot to put the battery and headphones in the box when I sent the original one back..........

Guest mmmouse

Been using Sansa E260 daily for about 2 yrs now. It doesn't like the rain so if it gets wet and goes dead you have to open it up and blow dry it. Battery lasts all day. I'm a "talk radio" junky and use Replay Radio to record streaming radio during the day while I'm at work (no reception in the dungeon) then download to the Sansa. Keeps me semi-sane.

I have a Sony 4G and a Philips 2G MP3 player and find them both great. But what I use while riding is a Sony Minidisc player. I keep it in my trunk and when the battery dies I put in a new AA and keep on going. It has never skipped in the years I've been using it.The Disc's it uses are 1G and can store a pile of tunes when compressed. Last player I picked up new one for $25 with a bunch of discs and had a price tag on it for $380. Its not a format that really went anywhere in America but was quite popular in Japan. So if you see one of those in the bargain bin it might be something to consider if you don't mind using batteries.

Keith