IGNORED

New member question

Hi, i am Danny from Im in southeast Kentucky. Just purchased a 2006 midnight venture and looking forward to years of riding it. I will be active here I am certain.......First question I have is. This bike on the way home, first ride, has a loud whining screamy sound that im curious about. The wind was high, the bike has no engine noise at idle am curious if this is some wrong, or something to turn the radio up and ride on.....any help is surely appreciated. Thxd,

I don't know of any loud screaming sound that is caused by the wind. Some of these bikes have a whine that is caused by the straight cut gears and some have a chirping sound caused by the clutch basket. Neither of those are anything to worry about. There have been a handful of issues though with bad or misaligned rear ends. That WOULD be something to be concerned about. There is an article in the tech library about how to properly align and then re-tighten the rear differential. That would probably be the first thing I would check.

well I went to a different type of oil in the engine made a bit of a difference. Adjusted the valve shims helped also. My exhaust is to loud right now have to correct that. Do the simple stuff and go from there.

Very unlikely that it's a bearing issue. Almost unheard of with these bikes. Most likely the clutch basket. The only possible cure is to order and install what is referred to as the "I" basket. The bikes come with different series of baskets that vary the clearances. Most come with, I don't remember, "H" series I think. Quiet a number of people have replace it with the "I" series. In some cases, it almost eliminates it completely in others, it usually reduces the whine and moves it to a different RPM range that you are not in as much.

I also agree with Rodney. Sometimes a different oil will make a huge difference. Now this can start a huge oil debate because everybody has a different opinion on which oil is the best but all I can say is that I run nothing but Mobil 1 Racing 4T and it seems to work the best for me. The only weight it comes in is 10W/40. It is a motorcycle specific oil so has no friction modifiers and etc. that could cause your clutch to slip. Whatever oil you decide to try, just make sure it's not a standard weight automotive oil with the energy conserving label. Those are the ones with the friction modifiers that could cause your clutch to start slipping.

>

No, not hurting the bike at all if the clutch basket/straight cut gears is the source of the whine.

Suggest you do the normal things we all do when getting a new scoot. Oil Change, grease things, etc., Manuals can be found here on site...download and enjoy getting to know your new scoot.

When done...then start looking into issues that bother you...

Oh and join up! Best $12 you will ever spend. We are here to help...

[/color]

Edited by videoarizona
add

I also agree with Rodney. Sometimes a different oil will make a huge difference. Now this can start a huge oil debate because everybody has a different opinion on which oil is the best but all I can say is that I run nothing but Mobil 1 Racing 4T and it seems to work the best for me. The only weight it comes in is 10W/40. It is a motorcycle specific oil so has no friction modifiers and etc. that could cause your clutch to slip. Whatever oil you decide to try, just make sure it's not a standard weight automotive oil with the energy conserving label. Those are the ones with the friction modifiers that could cause your clutch to start slipping.

Oh yeah, nothing but synthetic for me. I really dont believe could possible be oil only though.....just too loud. Im somewhat tech savy.....just never had one of these bikes. I had a VTX a few years back, A electra Glide last year, and I have a custom Road King now. None if them had this noise. Im almost certain it isnt just oil. I appreciate all replies though, so far im betting on clutch basket. Cones from right side sounds like.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

>

No, not hurting the bike at all if the clutch basket/straight cut gears is the source of the whine.

Suggest you do the normal things we all do when getting a new scoot. Oil Change, grease things, etc., Manuals can be found here on site...download and enjoy getting to know your new scoot.

When done...then start looking into issues that bother you...

Oh and join up! Best $12 you will ever spend. We are here to help...

[/color]

Am definitely gonna join up. I got over $20 worth of knowledge on first post. I was a VTXOA member the whole time I owned the VTX, Couldnt did it without them.

Am definitely gonna join up. I got over $20 worth of knowledge on first post. I was a VTXOA member the whole time I owned the VTX, Couldnt did it without them.

Great! Don't forget pictures. We have a saying here: "If there aren't any pics, it didn't happen."

Grins!