IGNORED

LED headlight causing radio interference

I installed an LED headlight which is a very bright white and seems to have good coverage. I noticed thought that it causes interference with the FM radio and CB. The antenna wires don't go anywhere near the fairing so not sure how it is interfering. I'll move some of the wiring around to see if the headlight wire is too close to something.

The LED light doesn't have an H3 connector on it so I purchased one separately and soldered it in so if I have to resort back to a standard bulb it is easy.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Lumen-Motorcycle-Head-light-Bulb-H4-H7-H6-p43t-p15d-25-1-BA20d-IP68-6/32332167237.html

You can usually connect a capacitor between the light/fan power wire and ground. That will filter the power circuit. But radio frequency transmission from hi power LEDs is not uncommon. You may be able to fabricate a shield around the radio from tin foil. Which might help. If you do be sure to ground the shield.

Mike

I had the same problem with mine and ended up going back to the old halogen lamp. I installed the LED lamp when I lived in an area that had a lot of strong radio stations and didn't notice the problem until I moved half way between Nashville and Chattanooga. The noise isn't being introduced into the radio via the bike wiring. I ran my LED light on an external power supply and the interference was still there.

I 'was gonna' try shielding the control module for the LED lamp, but haven't gotten to it yet.

BTW, my LED driving lights do not interfere at all.