IGNORED

Plunger case and anti dive uit

hi all. I took my bike (1989) for its maiden run. I crashed the bike and i have damaged the plunger case and anti dive unit. Both are cracked. Lost all my fork oil on left side. Do i need any special tools to take the forks apart. Has anybody had this problem and repaired it. New unit here in Nova Scotia is $500. Since she went down on her maiden voyage I am going to name her "Titanic". 56 year olds don't bounce like the young guys.

Is it possible to use a cover plate on the left side - so bike is driveable - until i can get the part. don't want to be without transportation for a couple of weeks.

Edited by kapebretoner
requesting additional info

First off I hope you are not hurt, the rest is easy.

Many people have replaced the stock springs with new progressive springs and eliminated the Anti Dive system altogether. Skydoc_17 sells the block off plates to do this.

I guess I am not sure what part you are calling the "plunger case". If you mean the lower fork tube, Ebay will be your friend, it is also possible that a member here has one on a parts bike.

Pics of the damage may help us out.

You do fill the forks on the bike.

BUT!

The way I was taught was to have the fork fully compressed, with the spring out, and you fill to a level from the top.

Hopefully someone here knows of a volumetric number that you can put in to be close enough. You will probably want to refill both sides just to be sure they both have the same amount of the same oil.

Manual says 13.8 oz of 10 wt oil. This is with stock springs.

If you have Progressive springs, do as Fool says and suck down from the top (syringe works well) of the tube with the forks compressed to get at least 5-1/2" air space (no springs installed). I went down 5-7/8" so I could run a little air (4 psi) and it rides great.

I made a bunch of little "T's" from the back cardboard of a 8 1/2 X 11 paper pad. All the T's were identical and about 7-inches long. This allowed me to make identical measurements on the T's so that I could measure the fluid level in each fork to make them equal. The oil will eventually seep up the cardboard so the additional T's are then used. Here is a thread on the oil:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?67742-Fork-Oil-Height-The-saga-continues/page2