IGNORED

My Spring shopping list...

comingbackdown

First off, feel free to move this if I have plunked it down in the wrong section.

I'm trying to get my bike on the road for the year and have found myself in need of some pieces parts! Wondering if anybody has what I need to replace and what you'd have to have for it.

I'm riding an 83 Royale. Rear shock leaks air BADLY. Sitting on the center stand she lost 20 PSI in around an hour and it's far worse sitting on the side stand. I'm assuming it's toast. I checked for leaks on the air line and found none. Really wishing the PO hadn't modified it and pulled the CLASS out of it. With that in mind I'll install whatever I can get my hands on, planning on upgrading it if I can ever stop burning money on my other two vehicles. I'm also in need of pretty much the entire front fairing, side covers, clutch lever. I think that's it until I find something else. I was planning on ditching the radio controls since that was removed from the bike by the PO as well, putting a storage compartment where they were and installing an aftermarket stereo on it somewhere, but now the plastics are all falling to pieces. Oh and if anybody has one of those doggone coolant elbows... Just because it hasn't leaked yet doesn't mean it won't. She's in pieces at the moment, I may find other issues as I go along.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

She's Gold. She's an odd one. She has MKII side covers without the brackets that were described to me as being there to retain the bottom of the covers on a MKII bike. But those MKII side covers have had it. The one is about to split in half after I've repaired it several times. On top of that the fairing pieces are so messed up I had the right cover held in place with Gorilla tape since there were no grommets for it to pop into.

Thus far I'm not having any great luck in finding plastics that aren't missing chunks where they fasten down. I don't care if they're scratched or missing paint or anything, but missing the spots where the side covers fasten to them or major mounting points kind of bugs me. I have found some nice side covers! I have not found a rear shock that's guaranteed intact. Can't afford to buy a shock until pay day anyway, but... This is where I wish I had a parts bike lying around. Actually let me rephrase that. I wish I could afford to have a parts bike lying around. :mo money:

I'm beginning to wonder if there's any chance a shock from another bike out there would bolt onto this thing and not potentially kill me.

Edited by comingbackdown

Mounting tabs can be repaired quite effectively! What you need is 2 part ABS epoxy, some scrap pieces of ABS plastic, and a little fabrication skills! There is also a product out there called Plastex which comes complete with a sheet of plastic to work with. Whichever product you use it will repair the broken tabs and make them good as new!

One of ther usual reasons tabs break is at one time or another the fairing piece was probably installed without either the metal bushings, or in some cases rubber grommets. Check the exploded parts diagrams to see where bushings, etc are suppose to be...

I'm still looking for a replacement shock. Browsing Pinwall and Ebay and I'm not sure what the heck to buy. I've thought about seeing if there's anything from a more modern bike that would bolt up to it, or digging around to find the specs and having one made. That's my one big hang up. I've found pretty much everything else and my preventative maintenance will only take about a week. Just gotta get the suspension sorted out.