IGNORED

Zumo XM Antenna Goes WHERE?

Guest DREBBIN

Guest DREBBIN

Ok - the Zumo pkg is here -- nicely thought out.

But where does that huge magnetic XM antenna go?

There does not appear to be mounting holes on the back of the mc cradle.

Suggestions appreciated, DREBBIN

I just got mine and I'm trying to figure it out. Some of these guys have put their xm antenna's under front fairing and claim that it works good there.

Right now I'm using it in the car. This is Zumo and XM with navtraffic is the best thing I have bought in a while. I have taken some pics and as soon as I get time I am going to write a review of it and post it here. I am going to see if I can make an adapter so the mics on our helmets will work with the bluetooth phones also.

I have the Garmin 2730 which also uses the same antenna.

I could not find a base that would work with the ram mount and the GM 30 so I rednecked one.

I cut out an outline from 1/8th "galvanized aluminum for the antenna base and matched it up with the ram mount cradle then painted it black to match. There are mounting holes at the base of the antenna which were used to make the antenna hard to remove.

Your going to love the Zumo. :thumbsup2:

Guest DREBBIN

OK ! Darn saweet ! Will c what I can do to get that set up.

I have the Garmin 2730 which also uses the same antenna.

I could not find a base that would work with the ram mount and the GM 30 so I rednecked one.

I cut out an outline from 1/8th "galvanized aluminum for the antenna base and matched it up with the ram mount cradle then painted it black to match. There are mounting holes at the base of the antenna which were used to make the antenna hard to remove.

Your going to love the Zumo. :thumbsup2:

I am going to see if I can make an adapter so the mics on our helmets will work with the bluetooth phones also.

Buddy ,

I have the Kennedy Cellset that connects all the voice and audio to the helmet headset . Before I got this system , I was pondering on just adding another mic taped to my helmet mic for the cell , but after talking to a friend whom does electronics , he mentioned I might get microphone feed back ( high pitched whine) when 2 mics are placed closely together . And then again , another set of wires to get tangled up with .

As it goes now with the cellset , both driver and rider can talk on the cell . I cut some corners and have about $150.00 into having the zumo connected into the helmet headsets .

As far a the antenna and using it for both bike and cage . Get Mini USB-B extension cable Male to Female . Route the extension cable to the trunk area . Either drill a hole in lid to route antenna cable through and mount magnetic antenna on top of trunk lid and place a thin sheet of steel underneath the lid so the magnetic pull holds the antenna secure . I have this method to hold my magnetic mount CB on my aluminum tool box on my truck . When not using the XM antenna , go to the hardware store and get a rubber plug to stop up the hold drilled where the antenna cable passed through . Did this on my boat . If you do not want to drill a hole , route the cable from front of scoot to rear , passing under the rear seat backrest and leave just enough tail to connect the antenna too . Keep the excess cable wrapped and secured by velcro strap to the trunk rack .

Or make a mounting plate on rear of scoot either on rear trunk rack or somewhere near existing antenna mounts to adhere the magnetic antenna too . With the zumo , cup holder , video camera , and other stuff . The dash instruments are getting harder to read . LOL !

Either way , with the extension cable , you can unhook the antenna and transfer to the cage .

Gene

Velcroed my RoadyII antenna to the dash. Works great there with Freebirds cassette door mount system. Is the Zumo antenna different than the RoadyII?

Drebbin have you checked out this mount from cycle gadets. decent price and you will have it in aproximately 3 days after ordering.

Are you still interested in having my template???

While your checking out the Cyclegadgets site you might want to lookup the ground loop isolator and GPS/Bluetooth wiring system from Kennedy Technologies for the Zumo

:cool10: :cool10: :cool10: :cool10: :cool10: :cool10: :cool10: :cool10: :cool10:

Love helping people spend their money

Velcroed my RoadyII antenna to the dash. Works great there with Freebirds cassette door mount system. Is the Zumo antenna different than the RoadyII?

About the size of a hockey puck and twice as heavy. The antenna alone is worth approximately $200.00 . Velcro will not deter sticky fingers

Wow -- I'll give it a try but it doiesn't say it wil work with the Zumo cradle -- mayble it will go onto the Ram mount attached to the cradle - we'll see -- great piece from TFD too ! Thnx to all, DREBBIN

I believe both mounts use the same hole pattern, so it should work:thumbsup2:

Steve. the zumo nor the gxm30 have a modulator built in. Both the bike and auto mounts have the audio out so you could pick up one of those fm modulators that plug into the Cig lighter if you needed that.

I have a Roady 2 that I switch between the bike and car. I only use the FM modulator in the car as I have the Venture Lite and no radio on the bike. I run the Roady directly to my Rumble Roads. At $200.00 I can not justify the antenna. Starting to look like the Clampets on my handle bars :-)

TFD does it have an FM modulator ?

No the Antenna/ Receiver is for XM access only. I.E. XM Satellite Radio, XM Road Conditions, Weather, Stocks etc. The antenna is the hardware required to interface with the software on the Garmin GPS. One does not work with out the other. The FM modulator is built into the GPS unit. And quite frankly Garmin dropped the ball with regards to the FM Modulator. It would work fine if you just stayed in one place but the purpose of a GPS is to journey to parts unknown. You have the same FM channel strength problem as you travel with an additional interface added on . Very annoying.

• 7 months later...

I mounted mine under the passenger back rest. You unbolt it inside the trunk and there is enough space to set it under the backrest and then reattach it. It works fine except sometimes the signal is blocked when riding two up and heading due south.

Doug