IGNORED

Little Red Scooter followed me home...

There is a procedure in the how to section here on the forum about cleaning carbs on the bike. You fill the float bowls through the bowl drains with Seafoam and let soak, drain and repeat like shampoo. Maybe a blast of compressed air though the tiny holes in the top of the carb will knock some crap loose, then again that might be a bad idea when you've knock some crud loose and it's got stuck some other place....VERY interesting and informative thread though. I am about to start on my second resurrection...so all is good stuff! Read the how to section in it's entirety; also good stuff.

Yeah, I saved the Shooting the Shotgun to my desktop. With new Idle screws and diapragms, It starts up better( and it s warm out). And it revs better. Still not on # 2, It has spark and I can run it with the drain open and nothing comes out. So I'm thinking float valve or I heard there may be a screen ahead of the float valve. May try the carb soaking you speak of tomorrow eve and let it soak. I squirted some berrymans B12 in the inlet hose and put it back on. Nothing today.

Will keep at it. Thanks Doug for the support.

Yeah, I saved the Shooting the Shotgun to my desktop. With new Idle screws and diaphragms, It starts up better( and it s warm out). And it revs better. Still not on # 2, It has spark and I can run it with the drain open and nothing comes out. So I'm thinking float valve or I heard there may be a screen ahead of the float valve. May try the carb soaking you speak of tomorrow eve and let it soak. I squirted some Berrymans B12 in the inlet hose and put it back on. Nothing today.

Will keep at it. Thanks Doug for the support.

YW!!! Be careful, VERY CAREFUL with that Berryman's, Pete (here on the forum) tells me that stuff is VERY HOT and MIGHT dissolve your floats....

I have a story...While I was serving in the USAF in Alaska a guy came into the shop wanting to clean a radiator grill in our radiator tank. I can't remember what was in it but it sure cleaned a radiator! They regulate that stuff now....anyway he put the grill in the tank and when he came back at the end of the day he couldn't find anything in the tank, he thought we took it out for him... no we didn't....it was in a puddle on the bottom of the tank, the "stuff" dissolved the Chevy truck grill.... So watch out with solvents....

Edited by dna9656

There is a procedure in the how to section here on the forum about cleaning carbs on the bike. You fill the float bowls through the bowl drains with Seafoam and let soak, drain and repeat like shampoo. Maybe a blast of compressed air though the tiny holes in the top of the carb will knock some crap loose, then again that might be a bad idea when you've knock some crud loose and it's got stuck some other place....VERY interesting and informative thread though. I am about to start on my second resurrection...so all is good stuff! Read the how to section in it's entirety; also good stuff.

Thanks DNA, I squirted some seafoam through the top vents untill they bubbled over, all i found was seafoam fogger though. I couldn't find a the procedure you spoke of, Is there a link?.

I'm thinking if I could get some fuel through it it would clean out and start working. (Hopefull) May have to start looking at carb removal, didn't want to do that if i could get away with it. Anybody see a howtoo on carb removal?

IMG_1997 (400x400).jpg

Might as well take the carbs off and clean them out just to be sure they are spotless and when they are apart you can blast carb cleaner through all the passages. It really is the best way to know what the condition in there is.

On mine I found some loose jets and other issues.

The hardest part I found was doing the throttle and choke cables.

• 1 month later...
Do you have to take the fairing off to get the throttle cable loose?

No.

Pull the carbs a bit out the left side. Run the throttle adjust nut at the handlebar in to get some free cable. Loosen the adjustment coupler right at the carb all the way. Pull that cable housing up from the carb cable holder and slide the cable through the slot in the carb mounted holder, there's enough slack to get it out of the holder. Then you can tip the carbs to see how to disconnect it. Roll the carbs and take the cable off. The choke is easy; loosen the clamp and slide the cable free.

Update;:happy34:

So I got the #2 carb cover off with the stuck float valve off. The spring clip was not on the float tab so the float was not pulling it off and there was a rough spot on the edge of a couple of the ridges that would cause it to stick shut. Pretty clean, otherwise. Smoothed out the spots and got it to not stick. Put new float valve in and spring clip over tab. Valve free to move and don't leak when shut. :banana: woo hoo. Will put it back on and see what she does this weekend. Would like to second check float height. I cant see how you can adjust these with it running.

Gotta clean/lube the cables and the throttle too.

Update;:happy34:

So I got the #2 carb cover off with the stuck float valve off. The spring clip was not on the float tab so the float was not pulling it off and there was a rough spot on the edge of a couple of the ridges that would cause it to stick shut. Pretty clean, otherwise. Smoothed out the spots and got it to not stick. Put new float valve in and spring clip over tab. Valve free to move and don't leak when shut. :banana: woo hoo. Will put it back on and see what she does this weekend. Would like to second check float height. I cant see how you can adjust these with it running. Where's that pic with the float height adjustment?

Gotta clean/lube the cables and the throttle too.

Nuther update

Checked my plugs on the TCI with the ohmmeter. Coils are good and two pick-up coils are good and need to clean contacts on other two pickup coils. ( if I can find them?????) It was running and sparking so I imagine the contacts weren't clean enuff for my HF ohmmeter to get through. A cleaning might save some trouble later.

Still trying to get TCI removed from the bike and the 8-prong plug is stuck. hmm.

Have a great day:D

• 2 weeks later...

All righty then! Took out for the first time on the road on Sat. WOOHOO!!!!:beer::happy65:

Think some flat spots in tires maybe, have 42 psi, in front. and rear. What do y'all run in the rear? May have to get balancing beads.

Kinda sorta has a gear whine about 3000 rpm( if tach correct) under slight load. Is that normal?

Also, gotta put the plastic and replace missing fastners in the fairing. That things shimying around. May have to make a few tabs.

At least I got to ride her. WOO HOO

Adusting that nut that connects the seats to the seat to the handlebar:happy34: