IGNORED

Quick initial maintenance question for new RSV owner

2002 Midnight 14 k .miles picking up tomorrow so I don't have it to look at now.....I have done some research and still have a couple unanswered questions...

Mobil 1 75/90 synthetic gear oil for final gear?

Are coil wires themselves replaceable or are they built into coils like on my Roadstar?

Brake fluod for brakes and clutch?

Any need for Iridium plugs vs lain NGK? Do I need to remove anything g to replace plugs (i.e. like gas tank on my Roadstar)?

Are their actual zerk style grease fittings or just pivot points?

When washing anything to cover up?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Checked everything out.....ordered fuel filter, got a jug of premix coolant, plugged AIS, have Castrol fullnsyntjetic 4T and K&N 303 filter, Mobil 1 75/90 for final drive....also got Ivans Jet kit and having Yamaha mechanic install that and sync carbs, gonna have some things greased as well....everything has been done.....receipts for oil changes every 1000 miles, plugs have been changed out twice by dealer, EBC HH rear brake pads, flushed clutch fluid, and lots of other stuff....

I will go ahead and flush front and rear brakes and clutch with fresh Prestone Synthetic DOT 4 as well. Tires have 3k on them (Dunlop Elite), and everything runs and drives fine. Can't wait till good weather.

There is such a thing as too much service. Change oil every 1000 miles??? What a waste. I've been on trips 7000 miles long. I do have a question, in my old 1983, 1985, 1989, running Mobil 1 caused my clutch to slip. Have not put it in the 2001. Anyone else have that problem?

Only use " motorcycle " spec oil. The Standard mobil 1 used in your car will cause clutch to slip. I just had that problem on my 08.

I switched to Motorcycle blend, no more problem.

Be sure to hand greese the splines on your drive shaft, do this whenever you change the rear tire. !! Be sure to greese

the rear wheel drive gears !! Lots of heavy greese on the wheel splines !!

The ignitor unit located Under the radiator, the plug gets water in it. Good idea to Clean the contacts on the plug, and seal it up

with Sealastic Sealent to keep moisture out.

15 K on your bike, good time to replace the fuel filter.

Also, Never put air in shocks with Air Hose, at gas station, you will blow the seals on the rear shock !!! Get the " Zero Loss " hand pump

available at most Harley dealers !!! ( About 50 bucks )

Use SEA-FOAM fuel additive a couple of times every year!! Keeps the carbs cleaned out.

In the maintenance section of this web site, LOTS of good information, !!!!! Read Thru ALL of it for the 2nd gen bikes !!!

Keeping the Carbs " Synced " on these engines is very important !!! ( check thru maintenance section ) YOu can also pull up the complete

Service Manuels there, Be sure to read thru the Carb Syncing Section !! YOu will need a tool.