IGNORED

Help?!?!?!?

djadam

As I said to GW, de-linking won't make a difference here. A normal human cannot tighten the left bleeder while squeezing the right brake lever. There are of course several alternative methods to accomplish the same thing but non of them are as simple or as bulletproof as the one I have suggested.

Not so if it is done the way I suggested.

Sure that will most likely work, sooner or later, but how is it simpler than having the hose go up from the bleeder? There are a lot of ways to accomplish a task but KISS rules.

Ah sorry Clive I have just re read the threads and discovered your "this is the way I do it" attachment, I see what you mean now, however using my "one man bleeder" set up, I can easily(I am 6'3) squeeze the front brake lever with my left hand whilst loosening the nipple with my long 8mm ring spanner, and yes no good to you if you still have linked brakes, interesting discussion though.

Steve

But if you want to do KISS, just get your wife to work the pedal for you as you bleed the system. That's about as simple as it gets. Might end up with a different style of KISS at the end....;)
If I had a wife that would likely have put an end to KISS, however, there might be kiss instead but more likely there would be lots of kiss ass to get her to help.

Or get your kids to help. Same benefits plus kids get to think they've "helped dad work on the motorcycle" while gaining some knowledge/skills.
That would work but it would turn a simple task into a scheduling nightmare.

Me:"Can you come over this afternoon to help me bleed my brakes?"

Them: "Sorry, I'm right in the middle of something but I could come next weekend."

Me: "I have to work next weekend, how about the weekend after?"

Them: "OK, I'll let you know."

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotf: :rotf:

I think I will stick with a method that actually is simple.

Ah sorry Clive I have just re read the threads and discovered your "this is the way I do it" attachment, I see what you mean now, however using my "one man bleeder" set up, I can easily(I am 6'3) squeeze the front brake lever with my left hand whilst loosening the nipple with my long 8mm ring spanner, and yes no good to you if you still have linked brakes, interesting discussion though.

Steve

I'm 6'3" too and there is no way I can reach from ground level on the left side of the bike to the right handlebar. Linked brakes is not relevent to the ability to get at the bleeders. Un-linked brakes might reduce the chance of air getting stuck somewhere in the system which would eventually necessitate a repeat performance.

Discussions are a good thing and are always informative, even when just watching from the sidelines.

Not to beat a dead horse, but if both front calipers are connected to the front master, its an easy reach from the bar to the bleeders.

Ditto for the rear brake and rear master.

What I was getting at with "de-linking" was it eliminates any need at all to reach from the rear pedal to the bleed nipple on the steering head or the front left caliper.

That was my main point and I guess I didn't explain it well enough. I'll leave it alone now.

Edited by Great White

I'd like to thank you all for your help. I replaced all the brake pads up front yesterday in about 45 minutes. Cleanup was the hardest part. The calipers were very dirty, the pistons slid in nice and smooth though. I didn't flush out the brake fluid yet. I'm going to get a one man bleeder and do that part another weekend.

Thanks again!! Another reason why this is the best $12 a year you can spend!

Adam

Not to beat a dead horse, but if both front calipers are connected to the front master, its an easy reach from the bar to the bleeders.
Agree with the dead horse comment but I actually can't reach from the left front nipple to the right bar and it flipped my curiosity switch. I'm now at the point of acceptance that there are at least two people who can do something I cannot. In any case, it's a moot point because paying attention to the route of the hose allows me to stop at any time without getting air backing up into the system. That means I can go for a pee, or lunch, or mow the lawn before returning to finish off the bleeding job with no worries. Can't get easier than that.

Agree with the dead horse comment but I actually can't reach from the left front nipple to the right bar and it flipped my curiosity switch. I'm now at the point of acceptance that there are at least two people who can do something I cannot. In any case, it's a moot point because paying attention to the route of the hose allows me to stop at any time without getting air backing up into the system. That means I can go for a pee, or lunch, or mow the lawn before returning to finish off the bleeding job with no worries. Can't get easier than that.

Haha I like that Clive, all good!!!

Vacuum pump and speed bleeders, regardless of front or rear, or clutch...

For just replacing pads, unless you added fluid at one point or another, there should be no need whatsoever to open the bleeders! It is a good idea, however, to flush out the old brake fluid and replace with new stuff. Using a vacuum pump and speed bleeders all you have to worry about is not letting the master cylinder go empty or you will suck air into the lines from that! Just keep on sucking fluid through until it comes out clear and clean.