IGNORED

Son plans to buy a 2006 or 2007 Corvette Z06

BlueSky

I used to have a bad habit of buying and selling lots of cars, used cars mostly. So in my later years I refused to look at ads or car lots in order to stop that habit! My son is planning to buy a 06 or 07 Corvette Z06 so I started looking at them. What an awesome sports car! 7.0L (427 cu in) engine with 505hp, 470 ft lbs torque, only weighs 3,147 lbs and fuel efficient enough that it avoided the gas guzzler tax. 19 city, 28 highway In order to keep the weight down the frame is aluminum and magnesium with carbon fiber used in some panels. The engine has a forged steel crank with titanium connecting rods and titanium intake valves and a dry sump. According to Car and Driver, 3.5 seconds to 60mph and 127mph in a quarter mile and top speed smelling of 200 mph! They are still expensive but so many of them are super low miles and look like new. My son is 37 and hopefully mature enough to respect the power of this car. He has been living in NYC for about 15 years and has been without a car for a while and he wants a toy. This is one heck of a toy, a far cry from his last car, a modified 2004 GT Mustang!

WOW ZZZZZZZZZ(06) WOW WOW WOW Bluesky - THAT is AWESOME!!:178::witch_brew::thumbsup:

Is your son still living in NYC and planning on driving his Vette there? Having driven cars and ridden 1st Gens a fair amount in NYC (daughter did Med-School at Cornell, 69th and 1st in Manhatten - talk about FUN!!) I gotta say that I personally can not see myself putting a ton of money into an awesome car like that and than driving Manhattan with it. :think: trying to paint a word picture of why I have that opinion:think:,,, ok - think I got it,, ever take a close look at the bodies on the taxis roaming around NYC:doh: = they look like that for a reason:hihi:..

Other side of the coin = I can sure understand why your son would want one = THAT is an AWESOME car!!:guitarist 2:

He lives just over the bridge from Manhattan in Brooklyn and works in Manhattan. He rides his bicycle to work. He is a music recording engineer and has his own little studio where he can digitally clean up recorded music and mix recordings. He also works with his clients at the new studio built by Ann his friend and previous coworker who built the new studio in Manhattan called "Jungle" where the stars like to record their music. No, he does not need a car and will not be using it to go to work. It will be just a toy for any free time he has to have fun with. For a few years, he worked at Alicia Keyes studio on Long Island and needed a car to drive from Queens to LI. That is when he bought the GT Mustang. He is like me in that he likes hot rods. Immediately upon buying the Mustang he had 4.10 gears installed, had subframe connectors welded in, had long tube headers and larger throttle bottle installed along with a dyno tune. 9" wide wheels in the front, 10" wide wheels in the rear. We spent 3 days that Christmas installing a complete suspension kit. After a few years and when he was no longer working on LI, he sold the Mustang but has missed having a hot rod. The Corvette should satisfy that need quite well! He is also thinking of moving to LA and he will need a car there. The majority of music recordings happen in LA now. And he has been spending a lot of time there recording Beyonce since she and her husband JayZ like to spend the winters in CA.

If I was still working I would seriously consider selling my Hemi Magnum and buying one of those Z06s for myself!!:dancefool:

I used to have a bad habit of buying and selling lots of cars, used cars mostly. So in my later years I refused to look at ads or car lots in order to stop that habit!

I use to have this bad habit too, lately it has been motorcycles. You will not believe how many people bought a nice motorcycle road it maybe one summer parked it and never got on it again. 13 years later I am trying to talk them out of it.

I am not allowed to look at craigs list anymore.

Larry

Just a way cool car and crazy performer. If it the first year C6 that he is looking at with the carbon fiber top panel, have him look at ti very carefully. They had difficulty with them delamination.

John "The Heinrocket" still holds the course record at the Nurburgring in a C6 Z06.

Thanks for the knowledge on the delamination. We are researching the issue and hope to avoid that problem. If you google C6 problems, there is a lot to read.

Ahh, the Corvette! My favorite sports car. I have always wanted one, but it has eluded me so far. One day, maybe. The wife might have to park her car outside to make room in the garage so my 'Vette could be parked inside beside my truck. Ahh, to dream.

Anyway, I hope he finds his dream car.

Dale.

He just found out that the car sales tax in NYC is 8.8% which means it will be over $8k for the car he wants. Incredible!

8,000 DOLLAR SALES TAX:scared:!! HOLY LETS BALANCE THE NEW YORK CITY BUDGET BY SELLING ONE CAR BATMAN!!

:lightbulb: If he were my son I would let him put it in my name and just pay the Michigan taxes on it. I may even let him drive it when he came to visit on the weekends if I were home!!:big-grin-emoticon:

He just found out that the car sales tax in NYC is 8.8% which means it will be over $8k for the car he wants. Incredible!

That doesn't make sense if he is buying a used one. With that math, the car would be over $100,000. Is he now looking at brand new?

That doesn't make sense if he is buying a used one. With that math, the car would be over $100,000. Is he now looking at brand new?

Oops! I had a brain fart I suppose! I meant over $3k, about $3.5k actually. Thanks for catching that. Still ridiculously high. It helps explain why so many New Yorkers are retiring to my area and other areas in the south that have a lesser cost of living. Lots of retired New Yorkers in my subdivision.

Back when I was buying and selling lots of used cars, NC did not charge sales tax on used cars with the logic that tax was paid on the car when new. When they fixed that "tax loophole" I slowed down considerably on the buying and selling because I was usually making a few bucks on the sales or at least breaking even. Sales tax on cars was 3% with a $300 limit but now they have eliminated that other tax loophole, the limit.

Edited by BlueSky

Well, it doesn't look like my son is going to buy a Z06. He came home for Christmas with a bag of cash hoping to buy an 07 Z06 located a few miles from me that only had 5k miles on it. But, he didn't want it quite bad enough to pay a grand more than he was hoping to pay. Probably for the best. It's a dangerously fast car.

I got to ride in the new 2016 Mustang GT today when he took me to the dealer to pick up my car that he had been driving since he came home for the holidays. WOW! It is sooo nice. It is so solid feeling and so well insulated for road noise. It is a far cry from the Mustangs of old. The 435hp engine is impressive too.

Mustang GT 017 (640x480).jpg