IGNORED

Poor sound from headsets

Not sure what my problem is, but I really can't hear much from the headsets on the highway...stereo or CB. I hear something but is usually so garbled I can't tell. I am better off to use the built in speakers on the dash to hear anything. Is this because of the headsets or what? I just bought the bike recently, and it doesn't matter what set I use the results are the same. By the way, I can hear music/CB when just sitting or even when bike is idling, but it seems to real tinny. Would it be worth my while to wire in a new pair of earphones from say a radio or tapeplayer or such? Thanks.

Not sure what my problem is, but I really can't hear much from the headsets on the highway...stereo or CB. I hear something but is usually so garbled I can't tell. I am better off to use the built in speakers on the dash to hear anything. Is this because of the headsets or what? I just bought the bike recently, and it doesn't matter what set I use the results are the same. By the way, I can hear music/CB when just sitting or even when bike is idling, but it seems to real tinny. Would it be worth my while to wire in a new pair of earphones from say a radio or tapeplayer or such? Thanks.

I just wonder if your interface cables have poor connections to the amp, or could be due to be replaced. Those can still bought new for about $51.00 USD here (they will ship USPS too).

http://www.sierra-mc.com/proddetail.asp?prod=JM%2DYV%2D41

I had an old speaker that I had installed in my helmet when I had a goldwing. It plugged right into the yamaha headset wiring.....and worked great. Took a spin for 160 km today and had pretty good sound from music, and from the CB. Now, I just gotta get another such speaker, or find two other matched ones. By the way Rocket, are you heading for the Olds Ride for Sight in June? I plan on being there, meeting up with some riders from Grande Prairie and do a little visiting. Would like to meet you.

I had an old speaker that I had installed in my helmet when I had a goldwing. It plugged right into the yamaha headset wiring.....and worked great. Took a spin for 160 km today and had pretty good sound from music, and from the CB. Now, I just gotta get another such speaker, or find two other matched ones. By the way Rocket, are you heading for the Olds Ride for Sight in June? I plan on being there, meeting up with some riders from Grande Prairie and do a little visiting. Would like to meet you.

I've got the same problem with my '83. Sounds like so much garbage at highway speeds. When you find a good set of helmet speakers that don't cost an arm and a leg let me know.

Condor,

The speaker unit I used was very similar to this 21-1834 at Radio Shack. I bought mine (at Radio Shack) years ago to use with an old CB radio I installed on an old Goldwing. However, it was just a clip-on external speaker...clip on to your shoulder so you could hear. I took this and cut it down and used velcro to secure in the helmet ear cavity. It works great....but it is not listed at Radio Shack any longer. My old riding buddy still has another one, so I am going to get it from him to use in either the passenger helmet, or give myself a stereo system in mine. Hope this helps.

Make sure that the speakers are aimed at your ears and are close. I used triangular cosmetic sponges, scissors and hot glue to get mine in the right place. The sound is much better when they are in right.

Ditto what Todd said. Placement is critical. Sound levels decrease with the square of distance. Therefore, if you double the distance, even if it's from 1/8" to 1/4", the sound level gets cut to 1/4 the level. This applies for both speakers and mics. With all the road and wind noise in a helmet at speed, distance from mic to lips and speaker to ear is critical! Quiet helmets help alot too.

I have the low-end J&M headsets in new Scorpion helmets. The visors don't seal great so there is more wind noise than I'd like with the helmet, but the sound is not bad, even on the freeway.

Jeremy