IGNORED

May have found a cheap source for cartridge emulators!

Most tourers might not care about this, but I tend to push the V pretty hard and I know how much better cartridge forks can be than old damper rod tech on uneven pavement. Even on a "straight up and down" touring bike they are much less harsh all the way around.

So digging around on the web I found several references to emulators on eBay for 30 bucks.

That's considerably less than race tech wants for them at around 170 bucks.

But the question is: do they fit?

The eBay listing shows them for Harely models. That can't work in a 1st gen.......could it?

So I look a the eBay listed specs: Says for 41mm forks and an outer diameter of 31mm.

Doesn't sound right does it? The Venture in 40 MM forks.

So I tick over to the race tech site and look up the part numbers for the listed Harley models from the eBay auction and the 1st gen Venture.

The Venture lists FEGV 3801

The Harley lists part no. FEGV 3802

:scratchchin:

That's damned close enough in part numbers to warrant closer investigation.

Luckily, race-tech has a part number chart and they even list the specs.

Long story short, comes out like this:

[TABLE=class: MsoNormalTable, width: 769]

[TR]

[TD=width: 108] Part No.[/TD]

[TD=width: 238] Description[/TD]

[TD=width: 63]

Price

[/TD]

[TD=width: 42]

OD

[/TD]

[TD=width: 65]

Step D

[/TD]

[TD=width: 46]

valve Dia

[/TD]

[TD=width: 73]

Adapt req

[/TD]

[TD=width: 260][/TD]

[TD=width: 65][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 108] FEGV S3801[/TD]

[TD=width: 238] FK EMULATOR-31.0/25.0/16.0[/TD]

$169.99

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

N

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=width: 108] FEGV S3802[/TD]

[TD=width: 238] FK EMULATOR-31.0/25.0/16.0[/TD]

$169.99

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

Y

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

here's the pic they reference:

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r618/justonepict/valve_zpsahga3onm.jpg

Same valve specs except for the adapter which is a circlip to mate a smaller step D dimension to a larger damper rod!

The OD is the ID of the fork with the required clearance to operate (min clearance 0.106 mm according to race tech site) and the Step D dimension is the size needed to sit in the top of the damper tube. Step D is where the circlip would go to fit it to the Harley forks.

So for 30 bucks, I figured not much to loose and ordered one up. I've got the race tech specs and can verify the measurements are good when the eBay one arrives.

The emulators are even adjustable for compression damping performance, although to will need to pull the valve out to adjust the nut on the top to stiffen it up or loosen it off. Still, more adjustments than you get with the stock damper rod.

Nice price savings if it works and cartridge fork action for the old V. It also removes the ineffective anti-dive units as the emulators are kind of "built in the design" anti-dive: http://racetech.com/page/title/DRod%205-1

Win-Win-Win if you ask me.

Now sure, the seller lists the source as "Imported" which we all know means "China". But everything comes form China these days anyways. Probably where Race-tech even sources theirs from. It's not like they're complicated to make. CNC mill couple pump out bucket-fulls and hour.

Doesn't bother me one whit if it comes from China either if it saves 140 bucks and gives modern style leg performance for my old horse.

Fingers crossed....http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z21/KilroyCD/fingerscrossed.gif

Edited by Great White

Nice price savings if it works and cartridge fork action for the old V.

Win-win if it works!

Fingers crossed....http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z21/KilroyCD/fingerscrossed.gif

Yes, but with you being in Canada we'll probably have to wait until spring to find out the answer?

Good sleuthing anyways.........

Yes, but with you being in Canada we'll probably have to wait until spring to find out the answer?

Good sleuthing anyways.........

Nah, Just 2-3 weeks or so.

I contacted the guy to see if I could buy another, but apparently I bought his last one.

you're gonna spend 200-300 bucks to get one of these in Canada, so 30 bucks (well, 40 Cdn) is a screaming deal....

Edited by Great White

$120 on Amazon and free shipping.

I've got a set on mine. Probably part number FEGV S3801 and no idea what I paid, been 10 or 15 years.

I like them

I wish you could get them that cheap here.

Exchange rate is right around .75 and most amazon.com sellers don't ship to Canada. Cheapest I found on Amazon a few secs ago was 139, so 175-ish Cdn after exchange.

Amazon.ca has the 3801, but it's 195 CDN plus 35 bucks shipping. Canada never gets free shipping from Canadian sellers.

Canada doesn't get the deals you guys get south of 49....:(

So we often have to go looking for "alternate sources" or dig deep and hard for a deal.

That's why 30 bucks is a screamin' deal if they fit.

:)