IGNORED

My Father Decides to Retire From Motorcycle Riding

mhenderlong

My dad, bless his sole has decided to give up on riding motorcycles. He rode when I was a very young when he rode a Honda 450 and stopped riding back in 1968 when my parents started a second family. I have 2 siblings 12 years younger than I am so I guess he shied on the side of caution to be around for them. He started riding again at the young age of 72 when he bought a 2005 Screaming Eagle Sporster. He really enjoyed it so much he bought 2 basket case 1984 Honda Goldwings and rebuilt them. He sold one and the other is an on going project.

Now the build in story is done this is why the post, he is a Michigander except in winter when he goes south. In Michigan the Department of Transportation seals their roads with a tar and pea gravel mix when applied has way too much gravel. He was out riding in August with a neighbor when he hit a section of the newly sealed road and down he went at the current age of 80. He has a few battle scars but he is alright, the bike on the other hand was pretty much beat up. I went to visit him late September and he told me the story and he showed me the progress on the bike rebuild but he was not going to keep it but sell it. I looked at him a little befuddled and asked why he didn't turn it into the insurance. He said he didn't want his rate to go up but I came back and said "but you are quitting riding and why did you put full coverage on the bike if you weren't going to use it". I also said the if you couldn't sell it I would take it off your hands but I really couldn't afford to pay for it.

This past weekend he was driving south where he stops by my house to visit and spend the night which I enjoy very much every year as I don't get to see my parents very often since I moved to Georgia 8 years ago. While we sitting and chatting on evening he thanked me for suggesting turning the accident into the insurance company where they had $4900 damage and took it to the Harley shop and was getting it repaired. He also told me that I was the only son over the years that never asked my parents for any financial help whatsoever and offered to give me the bike. I love riding motorcycles a lot but I wanted a smaller bike to commute locally on. I think a 1200 Sporster would be a great little commute bike especially since it has saddle bags and windshield both of which just got replaced.

I turn 60 next month and I feel blessed that I have both my parents but at the same time being sad since they are not going to be around much longer and I don't get to see them very often.

I understand your pain with the parents. I was 23 when I lost my Dad, he was 76 then. I feel I missed so much because he had me late in life. No, Mom isn't around either, but we weren't close as adults. I just wish I had Dad around to show him the bikes and brag about my hubby taking up riding. Dad too was a biker, had a '54 Indian he bought new in 54 that he rode til he gave up riding abt 1967/68 when my great uncle passed. Dad would not know what to do with groups like this. Enjoy your parents, I miss my Dad.

Sent from my B1-810 using Tapatalk

Mhenderlong, I understand where you are coming from. I am nearly the same age as you but my parents have been gone for several years (father when I was 15). In some respects I am envious of you in that you have gotten to spent so many years with your parents. Our bikes are just "things" that cannot take the place of those close to us.

I am 63 years old and we lost my dad in a coal mine accident 6 months before I was born. I didn't get a chance to get to know him and still miss him. Get the bike from your dad and thank him. You will cherish it I am sure. And you will think of him every time you get on it and smile.

THAT is an awesome story Hend - sounds like your Dad is one of those legends who has lived a life of LIVING:clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool:

Kudo's to him for knowing when its time to slow down a little and watch his son take the reigns - a wise person indeed. Congrats to you for having such an awesome Father!:thumbsup:

Now about that Sporty - they are GREAT commuter scoots, fabulous play bikes and a TON of fun! One of the things I love about em is that it doesnt take much me to make run and there are TONS of parts to play with out there for them if you should ever decide you wanna make her run with an attitude or just want some more torque or horsepower. They are very easy bikes to work on..

If it were mine and I knew it would forever stay in my family (if my dad had ridden one and done like your father did - it would stay in the family) the first thing I would do is begin the process of locating a "tuner" for it (being a Screaming Eagle I am assuming its EFI, if its not - forget the tuner). Pipes, cams, pistons, jugs and all the "hard" parts will always be easy to find but the genuine Harley Screaming Eagle Tuners (good stuff) for obsolete equipment can be very difficult to find and the tuner is an extremely essential part just for tuning (cant do much without it).

I am excited for you my friend and congratulate you on being in the set of shoes you are in the relationship with your Dad.. THAT is the best part of all of this!! :thumbsup: