IGNORED

Changing tranny gears a quick question

I'm going to be changing the gearing in my 1st Gen to a 2nd Gen with vmax rear end. What other parts should I change out like that O-ring in the engine sump area (whats the part number I cant identify it in the schematics) while the motors out. I was going to do all the water hoses and thermostat also any other parts any you can think of that are 20 yrs old that would be easy to change when the motors out?

First of all, I am very interested in how this turns out. If everything fits, this may be a great set up for the 1st gens. Low 1st and 2nd gear and wider spread gears up thru 5th and still not as high as the 2nd gens due to the lower V-max rear gear.

When you get everything apart, how about doing a teeth count comparison on each respective gear. Also, what are you going to do with the gears off the old shafts? This would be a good fix for one of these 2nd gear fixers.

Given the leak problem I encountered, I would replace the clutch rod seal and I would replace the seal where the shifter goes into the engine. Also take a good look at the seal where the drive shaft comes out.

These are the basic seals that sometimes start to leak and are cheap and easy to replace with the engine out.

RandyA

If you're opening up the bottom end, I would change all the oil gallery orings, shift shaft oil seal (cannot be changed without splitting the case), Clutch push rod guide, oil seal and o ring. Also check your clutch slave cylinder to see if the seals need replaced. Order new case cover gaskets (5 of them). I just ordered and received all my orings, seals, etc. for mine, can email the list to you if you want to see it. I'm also doing the water pump upgrade at the same time, check yours to see if its plastic or steel. If plastic, I would go ahead and replace it. You can see all the fiche pics for the parts at Flatoutmotorcycles.com. Best prices for factory parts out there. Ordered last Saturday, everything including 1 part from Japan was ready for pick-up tonite! If you order from them, mention that you're with Venturerider.org. We're trying to show them how many of us get stuff through them.

Thanks and good luck,

Dan

i replaced the orange o ring and the whole oil galley , it comes with all of the o rings and the new stile elbow that fixes the blown orange o ring problem and i got a new dampner to hold the elbow in place . i had a blown orange o ring , 5 lbs oil presser hot , with the new stile elbow and new o rings 50 lbs oil presser hot down side - a lot more oil leaks , silver thinks its a Harley . good side - motor is a lot quieter and runs a lillte cooler .

thom

First of all, I am very interested in how this turns out. If everything fits, this may be a great set up for the 1st gens. Low 1st and 2nd gear and wider spread gears up thru 5th and still not as high as the 2nd gens due to the lower V-max rear gear.

When you get everything apart, how about doing a teeth count comparison on each respective gear. Also, what are you going to do with the gears off the old shafts? This would be a good fix for one of these 2nd gear fixers.

Given the leak problem I encountered, I would replace the clutch rod seal and I would replace the seal where the shifter goes into the engine. Also take a good look at the seal where the drive shaft comes out.

These are the basic seals that sometimes start to leak and are cheap and easy to replace with the engine out.

RandyA

If I like it someone here can have the set to replace their bad 2nd gear issue. There alot of good ideas here I figure while its out might as well do all those things that might break in the future. Ill do the comparison of teeth and photograph the whole process. I going to have to delve deep into the schematics to find all these parts.

If you're opening up the bottom end, I would change all the oil gallery orings, shift shaft oil seal (cannot be changed without splitting the case), Clutch push rod guide, oil seal and o ring. Also check your clutch slave cylinder to see if the seals need replaced. Order new case cover gaskets (5 of them). I just ordered and received all my orings, seals, etc. for mine, can email the list to you if you want to see it. I'm also doing the water pump upgrade at the same time, check yours to see if its plastic or steel. If plastic, I would go ahead and replace it. You can see all the fiche pics for the parts at Flatoutmotorcycles.com. Best prices for factory parts out there. Ordered last Saturday, everything including 1 part from Japan was ready for pick-up tonite! If you order from them, mention that you're with Venturerider.org. We're trying to show them how many of us get stuff through them.

Thanks and good luck,

Dan

Do you know when they went to metal water pump impler?

i replaced the orange o ring and the whole oil galley , it comes with all of the o rings and the new stile elbow that fixes the blown orange o ring problem and i got a new dampner to hold the elbow in place . i had a blown orange o ring , 5 lbs oil presser hot , with the new stile elbow and new o rings 50 lbs oil presser hot down side - a lot more oil leaks , silver thinks its a Harley . good side - motor is a lot quieter and runs a lillte cooler .

thom

5 psi hot is normal on these. That is why they don't have an oil pressure warning light. It is strictly and "oil level" warning indicator. I did not know there is a new style elbow. When did this come about ?

Do you know when they went to metal water pump impler?

Not sure, but easy to check cause you goota remove the pump housing anyway to split the case. Too bad you ain't got it apart yet 'cause I'd get those gears off of ya right now!! Also check your thrust washer and the split clip that holds it on the driven axle for wear. They are right at the end of the pinion (middle) gear.

Dan

RandyA

This is my goal better off the line and lower rpm at cruising speed. Many might think I'm NUTS for doing this but I've got the parts already and I like fiddling with stuff to try and improve on the original design. If you think I'm nuts so be it isnt going to bother me a bit.

If you ain't tinkerin' or workin' on it to make it better, then you ain't havin no FUN!!!!!! SOmetimes I think we have as much fun working on them than riding them! Oh yeah, you 2nd genners are included too!!

I like your idea Jimbob. I was not aware of this option. Very tempting. Is there a discussion anywhere on this change? I would like to know what the gear ratio change is with the 2nd gen? I would shoot for the high end because the old VR is a tractor for torque, probably keep the original final drive if it cuts down the rpms for cruising at highway speeds. I would love to have higher gearing unless I was pulling a trailor.

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

I would check your middle gear output shaft though. I just did mine as these have some propensity to loosen up on the tapered bearings and give some slop to the output driveshaft, eventually breaking off the nut (happened to me). Very tricky job to get correct bearing preload on that though. You have to do this procedure with a new crush collar when you replace the rear seal.