IGNORED

1989 Gold Wing - Who's got some knowledge?

SilvrT

I'm considering buying an older Wing (1988 - 2000) if I find the right one.

Currently looking at an '89

Would like to get some feedback from any of you that have owned these bikes.

Bro-in-law has a '96 and he loves it but has had some alternator issues... which are now resolved.

Only thing I can forewarn you about Silv involves their carb situation.. The early years of having the carbs out on the heads are long gone with the early 1500's, instead - Honda chose to bury the carb system up between the frame spars - very difficult to work on.. My neighbor has one, it had a flat spot on the bottom that was actually very dangerous (think intersections).. Thinking it was a typical Wing carb set up that I had some experience with I offered to give him a hand.. We soon discovered that with my hands in the condition they are in and his lack of mechanical ability - it was best to send it to local Honda Wing expert.. Cost him just under a grand to have the carb gone thru - not cheap..

I also know that the early Wings were interference motors so you had to stay on top of timing belt changes.. Not sure but I think the 1500's fell into this category too..

In the end though I know for a fact that those 1500's were very good motors.. Lots and lots of high mileage Wings from that era still out CTFW to this day!!

All the best in what ever you decide to do!!

Puc

Checked the Wing out ... wasn't near as good as it was advertised to be... owner still has it.

I guess you never know till you see it up close and personal. He had it looking pretty good in the pics! Oh well, must mean there's another one waiting for you somewhere soon. Doug

Ask how long it's been since the belts were changed, was the carb work ever done to eliminate the flat spot from the factory and how does the transmission shift? These are ( in my mind) the critical things for a pre 2001 Wing.Trans mission and carb issues were fixed by then. Belts..... well that is just an ongoing maintenance item. Easy to fix just a little time consuming. I have heard more then one wing rider say that they liked their 1500 better then their 1800.