IGNORED

Rear axle...redneck pondering

kentuckyrider

Is it just me or has anyone else has the inclination to put a clevis pin or something in the 2 holes in the rear axle? After looking at this the only thing I see that holds the axle on this side is the pinch bolt. Seems like a good contingency plan would be to have a back up if something happened to the pinch bolt. The other side (final drive) has a cotter pin thru it retaining the nut. What would keep the axle from walking out the final drive side if the pinch bolt became loose?

With the pinch bolt loose I can push the axle through towards the final drive. Not talking about the cotter pin holding the nut on. I have the wheel off and stuck the axle in. That is what got me to wondering if a clevis was put in there as a added safety measure if something happened and the pinch bolt did get loose.

I did not try just sticking the axle through the wheel tho. I had put it through the frame and bracket to keep it from walking off in my garage like things like to do out there. Especially tools. They like to play hide and seek. That is when I got to wondering about it going through the other side.

The axle attaches the wheel and caliper bracket to the final drive on the left of the swing arm. As stated before, the axle has a shoulder that will not pass through the washer, caliper bracket or wheel. The purpose of the pinch bolt is to secure the right side of the swing arm to the axle. The only thing you can accomplish with is a pin is to bind the swing arm into the wheel assembly.

You really got me :think: on this one Ky.. Speaking from a fair amount of tire swapping on my 83's (no idea if the later models are different) I am wondering if you might be putting the axle in backwards or something:think:.

The threaded end of the axle where the nut that is captured by the cotter pin goes on the left side - left side as sitting on the scoot. The right side of the axle (again - talking right side as sitting on the bike) should be the end with the shoulder. That right side shoulder does have a hole drilled thru it but that hole is only for line up purpose or for placing a screw driver thru it to pull the axle out upon removal of the rear wheel.. The sequence for reinstall should be, lube up the axle with grease a little so it dont rust in place, slide it thru the eyelet in the swingarm where the pinch bolts are located (right side) - threaded axle end first. As you slide the axle thru the eyelet with the pinch bolts loose, you place the washer on and then the caliper mount, now thru the wheel bearing on the right side of the wheel, keep pushing (rubber mallet may help) the axle thru the wheel, when you get to the shoulder on the axle it might reguire some bumping the axle a little more to get the shoulder to slide into the eyelet where the shoulder passes thru it. You will eventually get the threaded end of the axle appearing out of the left side of the assembly. I have always tightened the Nut on the end of the axle BEFORE I tighten the pinch bolts on the right side/eyelet. By doing so, this captures the inner bearing races between the shoulder of the right hand side of the axle/washer/caliper and internal surfaces - that shoulder is NOT suppose to pass thru the washer or caliper - that shoulder actually sets the caliper up for proper alignment of the caliper to the rotor - that is why it is important to make sure you have the washer in the correct place by placing it on the axle FIRST. At this point, the right side of the swing arm is now just resting on the O.D. of the axle shoulder. Tightening the pinch bolts of the swing arm now just secures the axle to the swingarm - the axle itself is captured by the large nut on the left side - the one with the cotter pin thru it..

You asked what would happen if those pinch bolts came loose.. While I certainly would NEVER suggest leaving them out, I highly doubt anything major would actually happen UNLESS the nut on the left side of the axle were also to come loose - that is the ONLY way that the axle itself could come out and if this did happen - a clevis pin thru the shouldered end of the axle would have no affect on securing it. Gotta imagine it is possible that the swingarm on the right side could become disfigured enough to wander off the axle though but I betcha the rider of the scoot would notice some funny feelings in corners long before even this happened. Personally, I have never, in all my years of playing with these 1st Gens, I have never heard of those loosing up.. I do think though that if slipping a clevis pin thru that alignment hole on the right side of the axle would add to a sense of security on your behalf - by all means - DO IT!!!! :detective:

It will pass through the caliper, bracket, and washer when the pinch bolt is loose.

If you can pass the axle completely through the washer and caliper bracket then something is not right. The proper axle has a shoulder that will not pass through those.

That is exactly how it is put in. That is how it came out. I also checked with the Yamaha manual parts diagram to make sure no one else put it in wrong. The only reason why I know it will go thru there is I like to put parts, bolts etc back in when I have something down a couple days so nothing gets misplaced. With the wheel off that is when I discovered with the pinch bolt loose you can shove the axle through the swing arm, bracket and caliper. If you put the axle in the wheel by itself the shoulder won't go through. That is what got me to thinking this could get ugly if the pinch bolt ever came loose.

Maybe picture time?? If possible - could we see a picture of the caliper mount with the shoulder of the axle inside of it? Maybe this would help us understand exactly what you have going on :confused24:

WHat year of bike are we talking about anyway KY?

That sure looks normally mounted KY, if you have the axle now off and could post a picture of the caliper bracket and the washer that is between the bracket and the swingarm both slid up on the shoulder of the axle - up near the two holes found at the right end of the axle, this would help us a lot in determining if all is correct..

What I did was I just stuck the axle through it until I put the wheel back on. I had the washer on the end and not between the swing arm and bracket. When I put it together is when I looked at the Yamaha manual. The washer is what keeps it in place. Sorry for the confusion. I thought the shoulder should not go through the swing arm and bracket. When I seen it did that is when I was thinking about putting a clevis in the 2 holes.