IGNORED

Starts and idles but dies when I open throttle

Bike ran good a couple of days ago. Parked (rainy) until this morning. It starts right up and idles normally but at the slightest throttle use it immediately dies. I've tried to find a fuse for the fuel pump but from what I can find the fuel pump is on the main fuse. Lights, stereo & everything seems to be working as normal. I REALLY REALLY REALLY need this bike on the coming Saturday (Aug 29th). Does anyone have any suggestions to check for? I'm guessing fuel pump. My dealer quoted me $333 this morning! (yikes).

Pull the left side cover. Fuel pump is under there. Turn key on and put your hands on it and see if it feels like its running. You could check and see if you got voltage there. I would have to check for sure but dont think there is a seperate fuse for the fuel pump. There is an article in the tech only section on replacing the expensive OEM type pump with a less expensive solid state pump from autozone. Or a couple places guys have ordered points for the old pump and fixed it.

If it idles, it's getting fuel to the carbs. May not be getting enough for off idle, but if fuel is suspect check bowls by draining as someone else has already stated. since it was parked wet, check for water in gas. IMHO

Wet plug wires (or other wires).. I would pull the plug caps, blast them and the area where the plugs are screwed in really really good with compressed air.. WD40 works good for water dispersion too.. Another thing that can happen if they get wet and what I am talking about happens is plugs fouling from their terminals getting wet. In the end, you may have to replace the plugs..

Also, depending on how wet she got, may have to pull the air cleaners and blow em off. May also not be a bad idea to follow up with draining the bowls to clear any water from them that has collected..

Crazy rain can sure mess up a good bike trip,, at least it wasnt in the form of that nasty stuff that comes out of Fool's White Wash Machine though:big-grin-emoticon:

Fuel Pump gets power, it makes one click and then nothing. Whacking it did not help. I'll be shopping for a fuel pump tomorrow. Thanks for the input, I'm gonna start with auto parts, take a look and if nothing I'll break down and make an offering to the great God Yamaha for one of their GROSSLY over priced pumps. Gotta have it installed and working before Saturday!! Big PGR event in Pigeon Forge.

I believe we have it narrowed down to the fuel pump. When the pump makes the chatter, bike starts and runs. When the pump makes a single click and no chatter the bike starts, idles and dies on throttle. I have the old pump removed. Hope to have the new one recvd and installed this afternoon.

New fuel pump installed. Fairly easy to do. Shut off the fuel at the petcock. I removed both side covers and the center connector cover was loosened to allow me to get my hand squeezed into the space for hose removal/connection. Pay attention to the hose connections and have rag to soak up the small amount of fuel that the hose and the pump will spill out. The new fuel pump does have one connector tube marked inlet. After the hoses are connected, reattach the unit to the mounting point, connect the power and test. Tested successfully so I did a short test ride. Redid the center and side covers. Took less than an hour for me.