IGNORED

Passengers - How big is too big?

Yamaman

I am 240 wife 190 or so..I got REAL good at handling the bike,THEN had her get on and teach her how to ride as a passenger and PRACTICED ALL maneuvers in an empty parking lot MANY times..Slow turns handlebars cocked all the way left turns,then right,Sudden stops ETC. Now with that said even when she is on the back I ride VERY conservative as she cannot afford to hit the ground AT ALL due to some medical problems. I also use the Avon tires which as far as I know have the highest rated maximum load of any tires that I personally know of. Use common sense and be careful. Tom

I had a Suzuki Volusia 800 before the Venture. The wife and I put about 12k miles on it, and we never had a problem with handling. I've had a couple of problems since getting the Venture with getting into tight spots, (ie. turnarounds, downhill grade) but they were my fault, not the passenger. I've been fortunate, (hate to use the work "lucky"), that I haven't dropped it or been down,,,, yet. You just have to constantly be aware of what's going on around you, either in a parking lot or on the interstate, solo or 2-up.

Like he said!

yep I forgot clutch but the weight limit is for liability (yamaha's) sure you have to do things a little different but with both of us up I don't feel a great deal of change. I won't do it if I were a new rider but I won't be riding a 840 lbs motorcycle if I was new either!!!

I weigh about 350 and my wife is about 100 pounds lighter than I. I started of on a Honda 1100 city cruiser and eventually moved up to my current mount, the RSV. Aside from an Ultra-Classic and the BMW 1200RT we've not had many issues with riding two-up. I practiced in parking lots for about the first 10,000 miles before I ever tried riding with a passenger. The BMW was just plain hard to keep up even with just me on it, and the Ultra Classic is well... not made for fat people. I agree that the passenger should be lighter than the rider, and I agree that riding with more than the OEM-rated combined weight is a risk. For that matter, riding is a risk. Now that I think of it, every day that we live we're at risk of dieing. You have to decide whether or not it's worth it for you.

From a scientific perspective here are the risks that I can think of when exceeding the OEM-rating for weight capacity:

1. Braking - the brakes are designed to stop up-to the rated weight at a safe rate of deceleration. Any more weight than that and you're going to have a harder time stopping (which I do experience when I ride with myself and even more so with the wife)

2. Center-of-Gravity - this one can simply be compensated for, but you have to get used to it and build what sports coaches call "muscle memory." That is to say, you have to train you body to AUTOMATICALLY compensate for the change in Center of Gravity, or you will become intimately acquainted with the effect of gravity.

3. Stress on the Frame - this one is not as big of a concern unless you REALLY overload the bike (like try to bring home a load of gravel on the bike) because the OEM builds the frames to handle MUCH more weight than two fat people can produce.

4. Wear-and-Tear on Suspension - Primarilly shocks and tires. This just means you'll be buying more shocks and tires. Or you can do what I do and just trade the bike in for a newer one every 30k miles or so (kidding). By the way, on my Honda 1100 I averaged 8k miles on a single Dunlop 404 series front tire, but 14k miles on the same series rear tire. I have to assume part of that is because of the fat-guy in the captain's seat.

So my point is... yeah... forgot where I was going with that.

Nevermind.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Go_JIM_SANDY

My wife and I fall into the exact same weight category as you and your lady. I totally agree with your posting 100 pct. I just started reading the "overloaded" thread as we are planing a 1700 miler from Kansas City Mo back down to Dixie...ATL over Memorial Day week this year. I run tires at max air pressures and add 2 pounds to the Michelin Commander in the rear. As well as 3 pounds in each front fork and about 43 pounds in the aft shocks and we seem to do just fine whether on country back roads or the interstate doing a few MPHs over the speed limit. In the last 2 years we have had an '86 Kawasaki Voyager, a 2004 Honda VTX 1300 and now the 2000 MM edition and from the very first ride together on this bike on a country road we both agreed this was the bike for us. The RSV inspires more confidence every time we ride. Having legs like tree trunks does not hurt a bit at low a stop or when my bride saddles up. AMEN brother...Amen.:sign Rock On:

Guest bsreg

Well I gotta go along side the big boy line of this.... I am a big boy, corn feed good stock wife thank goodness isn't. Together however we still make a few pounds for a bike... I have had the Suzuki Calvacade, Gold wing and VR. None ever seemed to have a problem with the weights nor the fact that often when younger would carry a few extra cases of adult beverages in the left side cooler... (held two cases of adult bev and two bags of ice) plus luggage. '

Now recently in key west rented a scooter after the scooter rental guy said "hey don't worry about the weight this thing will hold it with no problems you can even take your wife on the same bike" We still got two but hers went just as fast as mine stopped as well and handled the same as mine..> I was concerned I would crush the poor thing.

It is the riders that make a difference... If you were king kong and your rider decided to bend over and pick up a quarter off the ground while you were not expecting it there is a chance you would lose balance.

I myself have made it a point to not ride the scoot at times. Just to avoid giving rides to some heavy people I know. I have a friend who's wife a very big woman. Over 250 easy. I don't want to hurt feelings, so I avoid the whole take me for a ride topic by caging it up for visits. Everybody has there own opinion about riding two up. But one thing is true especially for the 1st gens. They are top heavy all by themselves. It takes time to get use to handling them at low speeds and in the twisties. My sister weighs about as much as a fly, but taking off into a turn with her on the back can be a PITA. Add that with some uneven pavement and you got a possible lay down ahead without even trying.

So I do make it a point to not ride two up with people that are bigger than me. Not just weight, but also hight. Esp men. We are heavier on top. These are big bikes. Be it a 1st gen or 2nd. When they start to go over, they are gonna go.

I agree 100%. Although my wife and I are large, we've been riding together for 34 years and she knows to sit still and don't try to help. That said, there is no way that I would take a passenger over 150 lbs other than my wife. Just don't do it.

• 1 month later...
Guest redknight13

I agree that riding two up with a heavier passenger can be a problem but, sounds to me like maybe you forgot that making a stop / turn with a passenger usually requires a little more throttle and a little rear brake/ friction zone till you are though the turn and straightened out. I don't have any problems riding a heavier passenger and can do 18' circles on my 06 RSV with a passenger no matter what they weigh. I recommend the Ride Like a Pro video to anyone out there the stuff you learn on this video will boggle your mind.

We push the limit on the load rating, but it's mostly me. Putting a heavy load on the rear violates the stability control triangle; weight should be in the triangle formed by the front wheel, rear wheel, and rider center of gravity.

You can learn to compensate, but you still can drop it. Starting from a standing stop, the torque lifts the wheel, which decreases your steering. If you let off the throttle to increase steering, the bike will wallow, possibly dropping. If you add throttle, the wallow will go away, but the steering decreases, so you have to lean more. Practice this and you'll be amazed how much throttle and lean you can combine. One technique is a light application of rear brake with increased throttle, but this isn't practical with linked brakes.

I've managed to drop mine at low speeds, usually stopping, not starting. A little sand or gravel at a stop sign can cause some strange events; front wheel slipping out from under you if you're leaning or turning a little, foot slipping out from under you as you lean at a stop, putting your foot down into a pothole while stopped & can't reach the ground, turning on a gravel road (don't touch that brake!)

• 2 weeks later...

Most in my family and guests like the buffet table.

Never had any problems and the times I feel over I was turning right and was by myself.

It was inexperience of my youth at the time.

I had hauled 2 people plus myself on my 83 once to Bill, WY about 10 miles I guess.

Guy and his wife broke down on their HD in the late 70s on there way to SD.

I just sat farther up on the gas tank with her in the middle and him on the pass seat.

Would not of wanted to go further then that as it was a little uncomfortable.

My stepson used to weight in at around 310 and I was 236 and never had any trouble on the 83. We logged about 10k miles together and never feel down or had a problem.

Fell over once outside of Sturgis at a gas station with a gravel parking lot with my daughter.

At the time she weighed about 90lbs. I was backing the bike and trailer up and there was a large hole in the ground and the 83 went right over but no one or bike was hurt.

Foot placement is always kinda harry with sand or antifreeze at the stop signs or lights.

Even gas stations by the pumps the cars and trucks leave dirt, grease, oil and sand and I have came close to dropping the bike on more then a few occasion's but have been lucky enough to of caught it.

After moving to Las Vegas last summer when I stopped at a light the asphalt had liquefied and made me a little more then concerned about stopping or turning.

It is something to keep in mind if your ever going to go through the desert.

The one thing I think that has helped me over the years is I used to ride a dirt bike on ice and in snow. That is how I gave my kids lessons on riding a bike and it was how I was taught. If I wanted to learn to ride I had to pick it up on the icy driveway and kick start it to ride it. I logged allot of winter miles and smiles and with all the clothes on I never got hurt. I guaranty you will learn balance and surefootedness. I still ride my 02 on ice and snow just to keep in practice.

Most experienced riders have a little talk with a perspective passenger and set the ground rules up front.

That's part of learning and gaining experience as well as confidence in your passenger and your abilities as a rider...........................................Ron