IGNORED

Yamaha releases the new TourMax!

Great White

My panties are not at all in a wad. Just posting my experience. I thought we were talking about first gen vs. second gen Ventures. There was never a Venture in '96 - '98. '99 was the first Second Gen Venture and that is what all my comments have been related to. No argument that the first Royal Stars were way down on HP. Not only the carbs but the small air boxes to go along with them.

Nope, i was just posting a pic I made of a model I made up, a little tongue in check add type writeup and then it went all sideways with specs and " I don't like this" or "3rd gen that".

Guys can say this is or isn't' a "venture", but they're' all labelled XVZ1300, which puts 'em all in the same line in my books.

Like I said, was just meant to be a fun little thread.....I guess that's over with.

:(

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never liked the 1st Gen, looked to much like the old Gold Wings (Which I never liked either, and they have morphed into the current style Gold Wing, which I don't like. Everytime I see a white one I think, "That thing looks more like my refrigerator, than a motorcycle!")

A,, :rotf:,, refrigerator,, :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:,, NO OFFENSE my dear friend but THAT comment made me spit my cereal all over my keyboard :rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:..

We got a LOT in common Tooch,, when I was a kid my friend had 1963 Yamaha 50 step thru (like in the picture if the picture worked). I always said it sounded like a cucumber..

At any rate brother,, you made my day with that one!!:bowdown:

http://auctionsamerica.com/images/lots/LV12/LV12_r555_01.jpg

I'm with The Tooch on this one. If they come out with a new "sport touring" style Venture, I'm sure I would think it was cool but I would not buy one. Give me the cruiser style. I did a photoshopped version and posted it here several years ago. It was simply the new VMax engine in a second gen. Very simple.

I also don't get why people continue to say that Yamaha neutered the second gen. As compared to WHAT? If you look at any dyne readings and/or specs you will see that it is rated about the same HP as the first gen. People who keep claiming it is way off the first gen just haven't looked very hard. The only thing really different is that they used a higher gear ratio and a rev limiter. A VMax rear and Dyna 3000 ignition gets it very close again with a bit of extra weight being about the only real difference.

The fact is, Yamaha will never be able to build a new Venture that is going to please us all. There are those in the first gen camp and those in the second gen camp. The second gen is much more compatible with my current riding style. Must more comfortable for me and at this point, comfort is paramount.

Performance is fine with me. I still enjoying cranking that throttle at times. That VMax motor in a second gen style bike though would be plenty for me. Even if they detune it a bit for better fuel economy, it would still be plenty for me.

I don't know that I'll ever buy another new bike. I turned 60 this year and the 2013 Road Glide that I bought new in the fall of 2013 may well last me through the rest of my riding days. Eileen and I did about 340 miles on it yesterday and it is a very comfortable bike. In spite of all the talk, my 2013 has never had a recall and never yet been back to the dealer for any reason...well....the first service was part of the deal so it went back for the first oil change and etc. With the very few performance modifications I have made, it performs just fine and most of our riding is between 65 and 75 MPH anyway.

That is NOT to say that I would never consider getting back on a new Venture. If Yamaha were to come through with a new VMax powered cruiser style 3rd gen, it might be hard for me to pass up. :)

I personally have never even ridden a 2nd Gen and really have no idea how they compare to the 1st Gens - that said it still is fun (and meant in :stickpoke:fun) to needle the folks who also enjoy tossing it back and forth.

Personally I have always enjoyed the "refrigerators" :big-grin-emoticon:fixed framed fairings for long distance travel, especially in the high winds of the western states. I have ridden out there with a bat wing attached and the stand alone windshield types and can honestly say the uglier frame mount fairings are less tiring and seem to be more stable IMHO.. That said though, I have NO experience with the modern day "bat wing" stuff and would certainly LOVE to try a long distance ride on one..

My first 1st Gen was a Blonde Royale with EXACTLY the body that GW chose to stick on his "invention".. Gotta say that picture really made me :guitarist 2::guitarist 2::happy65::happy65::beer::beer:.. Would I buy one if that exact bike is what Mother Yamaha came out with for a Gen 3,,, yep,, I would if I could afford it (borrowing $$'s is not in my nature)... I LIKE IT, A LOT!!!! :thumbsup: I know ya did it for fun GW but THAT IS AWESOME!!

Mostly because 2nd gens don't need that much working on......

But,, they don't have as much sticker room either :big-grin-emoticon:

As long as we are yakking about the two,, have any of you varmints who have owned both noticed any major differences in wind handling abilities that they would like to share?? Maybe one of our western folks who live in area's where hard cross winds are as common as the tumble weeds they carry? I have always wondered if the sleeker fairing design on the 2nd Gens made a difference from the standard ol bat wings of yesteryear..

Another one that I would really be curious about is the Voyager fairing,, the one with all the "lines" molded into it.. Out of curiousity I wonder if that design is a functional design or was it just for looks...

1st Gen is a lot easier to work on than the 2nd Gen.

Mostly because 2nd gens don't need that much working on......

I know one thing for sure,, if I had me one of those 2nd Gen thingies I would HAVE to have an add on center stand cause, sure as hounds chase rabbits, the minute I headed out on a two month tour I would pick up a nail on a rear tire and end up having to drain all the gas, water and oil out of the dag nab thing to invert it on the side of the highway right in front of a bunch of Harley riders headed to Sturgis if I didnt have me no center stand!!! :big-grin-emoticon:

I guess the 1st Gen looks so much better its hard to cope with....:Avatars_Gee_George:

Besides that Yammer,, it pretty dog gone hard to get off a 1st Gen and get a really good look at it when your passing everything else on the road :big-grin-emoticon:

Besides that Yammer,, it pretty dog gone hard to get off a 1st Gen and get a really good look at it when your passing everything else on the road :big-grin-emoticon:

"Brown Sugar" is after me every time I walk past her in the garage. "Hey look at me!!! I wouldn't throw you like that thing back there did!! I stop when you need to stop and GO when you need to go. I'm faster, better looking and still in One piece!!" Gonna have to start listening!!

I guess the 1st Gen looks so much better its hard to cope with....:Avatars_Gee_George:

Yep! So darn good look'n ya'll got to cover them under stickers & horns and other pieces of junk ya attach all over em, to hide what they really look like! :stirthepot:

Sorry, I guess I should have said to enhance the Beauty!

Edited by The Tooch

Yep! So darn good look'n ya'll got to cover them under stickers & horns and other pieces of junk ya attach all over em, to hide what they really look like! :stirthepot:

I just put so much lighting on mine that it is hard to really see it. Between squinting in the face of bright lights and the speed at which it passed on by, just real hard to tell what it was. Or see the flaws.

Yeah it takes three 2nd Genners to spot a 1st Gen. One to say "Here it comes!" One to say "Here it is! " And one more to say "There it goes!!" before they stat talking about how purty and fast it was and how they wish they had one if they weren't skeered to ride such a machine!!!:backinmyday::Avatars_Gee_George:

Yeah it takes three 2nd Genners to spot a 1st Gen. One to say "Here it comes!" One to say "Here it is! " And one more to say "There it goes!!" before they stat talking about how purty and fast it was and how they wish they had one if they weren't skeered to ride such a machine!!!:backinmyday::Avatars_Gee_George:

And that's the way it is. Thank you, and good night.

Sorry, I guess I should have said to enhance the Beauty!

Thanks for the compliment brother but I really gotta reply to this.. Those stickers and stuff are actually fully functional animal warning devices.. The stickers confuse animal life and the Horns serve as a warning to the lop eared biker varmints attending Rally's like Sturgis.. The Horns are also fully functional parking locators for the same - see vid!!

I have to agree with Don on they are closer than you would think but........I have a sweet running 86 that is Bone Stock. And I have a good running 99 with a V-Max Rear and a Dyna Tech?? Ignition. I really think the 86 would still come out on top but not by a bunch. Now when I figure out how to move the limits on that Rev Limiter up:think: It will be interesting. Quit??? I'm still hurting a lot so I'm still thinking.....:Avatars_Gee_George::mugshot:

Increasing the rev limiter is very easy with the Dyna. You just flip some dip switches. I THINK it was set on 7500 when you got it though and somewhere around 7250 or 7500 is as high as they recommend unless you install heavy duty valve springs. I never did that and it why it is not set higher.

Increasing the rev limiter is very easy with the Dyna. You just flip some dip switches. I THINK it was set on 7500 when you got it though and somewhere around 7250 or 7500 is as high as they recommend unless you install heavy duty valve springs. I never did that and it why it is not set higher.

Sometime ya just gotta LIVE!!!:Avatars_Gee_George: I ain't dumped parts from a engine all over te road in a while......