IGNORED

spare TCI for '84 xvz12 test

I'm bringing a xvz12 back to life and the timing wont advance as evidenced through the timing inspection hole (I'm getting backfire through the carbs when I rev it.). looks like I narrowed it down to the TCI (already replaced the pressure sensor and I checked connections at the TCI and fuse box.). does anyone have a spare TCI for me to test and possibly purchase? (if I plug it in and it works, I'll remove my TCI and try to fix it.. looks like a pain to remove (the battery box removal needs to be attacked by removing the side fairings?>?

If I recall, I removed the TCI on my 87 by removing the lower fairings and the plastic piece over the front cylinder head. Then, you need a JIS #2 or 3, I don't recall, bit, and a 1/4" drive ratchet and extension. I was able to reach under and remove the screw from each end of the TCI. Just make sure the bit fits securely in the screws to avoid stripping them.

If you don't plan on putting it back in the same location, some people saw off the plastic tabs from the TCI to remove it. I sawed them off after I removed it and put it on the top of my air box to keep it dryer and more accessible. I used velcro to secure it there. Let me know if you need anything clarified.

I didn't remove the battery box or air cleaner.

hey don vito - how would one saw off the tabs of the TCI?? Looking into my battery box, I don't see the TCI

You can't see the TCI, if the battery box and air box are in place. The TCI is under the battery box, mounted to the coil rack.

I sawed the mounting ears off my TCI with a bandsaw. JUST fits under the faux tank cover, while nestled up against the battery.

IMG_1595 (Large).jpg

thanks Kevin, your pic looks like a newer bike, maybe because of the new fuse holders. I have my airbox out but can only see one TCI tab on the right side. I might be able to get a sawzall in there but there is another tab on the front or left side of the TCI which I don't see.

While you CAN attempt to saw off the ears of the TCI while it is still mounted in the bike, I would first attempt to remove the screws holding it. Then cut off the ears.

Yes, the pic is of my 1991 (newer than yours) but all the First Gen Ventures are identical under the "hood". You can do the same thing as I, to your '84.

BTW: Got any tuna?

The tuna came and went. I didn't come home with a boatload nor have the time to check out shipping or where to find dry ice.

so I have to take the YICS chamber out and the black plastic head cover and should be able to get a short stubby screwdriver in there pointing up to hit the pressure sensor and TCI mount screws?? maybe try again tomorrow. I'm going to check the pick up resistances and spark plug cap resistances tonight. and put the airbox on one more time because folks keep saying that.. but I can't believe that could make so much a difference and it's been popping out the carbs with the airbox on and off since I started working on it../

The tuna came and went. I didn't come home with a boatload nor have the time to check out shipping or where to find dry ice.

so I have to take the YICS chamber out and the black plastic head cover and should be able to get a short stubby screwdriver in there pointing up to hit the pressure sensor and TCI mount screws?? maybe try again tomorrow. I'm going to check the pick up resistances and spark plug cap resistances tonight. and put the airbox on one more time because folks keep saying that.. but I can't believe that could make so much a difference and it's been popping out the carbs with the airbox on and off since I started working on it../

Yes, a stubby #3 screwdriver will work. Preferably an insert bit in a 1/4" socket with a ratchet. You will be able to push up with one hand and turn with greater torque with the other. Give the screws a shot of penetrating oil tonight and try in the AM. Mine came right out on both bikes.

Still hankering for some tuna. Or swordfish. Or even tilefish. :thumbsup2:

hey don vito - how would one saw off the tabs of the TCI?? Looking into my battery box, I don't see the TCI

I didn't want to remove the air cleaner so I removed mine from underneath. Although, your 84 may have the YICS chamber also which may be in the way. I removed the lower side fairings, the side radiator covers and the plastic covers above the front cylinder. Then, using a flashlight and a mirror, I was able to get a ratchet with a #3 JIS Philips head bit on the screws and break them loose after spraying them with penetrating oil.

Some people have removed it from above and some, like me, from below. Either way, it can be a PITA. Here are some other posts about removing it:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?89381-Removing-TCI-HELP&highlight=relocate+tci

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?42139-TCI-location-relocation

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?78022-Removing-TCI-computer

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?63371-TCI-Removal

When you take your YICS off, throw the whole thing away. Then you will want to plug the ports coming out of the heads. The YICS system is the cause of a lot of problems on these bikes and even when working good, have no real value.

This is a good way to plug the ports.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?86100-Plugging-YICS-ports&highlight=YICS

Randy

• 2 weeks later...

YICS is in the spare parts box and I plugged the hoses with bronze stud hacked down to plug size. will take the long YICS hoses next time carbs come off. And the TCI? I about 5 seconds patience trying to unscrew it and the pressure sensor. So I hack sawed the right ear and snapped it with a screwdriver. and then hacksawed the left ear a little and snapped that one too (I might have skipped sawing that one.). A new friend came by with his repaired TCI which got the bike revving but she seemed a little tired. I measured head temps and found #2 wasn't running. he's like wow, his bike was doing same with the TCI (so he came by to check out his TCI too).. Inside my TCI looks like cruddy death (water corrosion) and the 8 diodes were gone or almost gone with corrosion (they must be living with 12VDC applied and then moisture sets up a galvanic corrosion.). so I got 8 new diodes (different types and not the 1N4009 that came stock.). I have 1N5402 diodes (3 amps and 200 peak inverse voltage). these diodes are kinda chunky but would fit mounted off the board a little. and I have 1.5A with 1000PIV I bought as radio shack 276-1114. The package says 1.5amps but when I google to find out what type of generic this is I see everywhere the 276-1114 is a 2.5amp diode. think I'm going with this diode because of the higher peak inverse voltage.