IGNORED

starter upgrade to 4 brush on my '84 XVZ12

I'll be ordering parts to rebuild my carbs soon and also since my '84 XVZ12 seems to crank really slow when it's hot, I figured I would bite the bullet on the starter. I had hoped to find an ebay starter for $60 and refurb it with a new Chinese brush set. but the cheapest I'm finding on ebay is $120 for a used second gen starter or a little less for a 2nd gen chinese starter. Then I think a 4 brush starter from Ricks is about $200. I have no problem cleaning out a used starter and replacing brushes.. I want the 4 brush starter and will upgrade to heavy wiring while I'm at it. what's recommended??

I think I want the Yamaha P/N 4NK-81890-00-00 (that's a 2000 Venture starter P/N).

can anyone supply a link or list to alternative starters (other bike starters that will drop right in)??? I know the VMAX starter will work from years___???____)

or the Mitsuba P/N for the correct 4 brush starter?

this should be old hat on this forum.

Have you contacted Pinwall? They salvage a lot of Ventures. Someone on this site said that the new replacement starters from Yamaha for the Gen 1s are 4 brush . Check the links below. I searched using "XVZ1300 starter".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-Yamaha-Royal-Star-Tour-Deluxe-Touring-XVZ1300-1300-STARTER-STARTING-MOTOR-/381233248998?hash=item58c345bae6&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-Yamaha-XVZ1300-LT-XVZ-1300-Royal-Star-Tour-Deluxe-starter-motor-/271844164253?hash=item3f4b2cc29d&vxp=mtr

Maybe, but I'd still call Pinwall. I bought a 96 starter from them via ebay for $50+. They have videos of each bike they salvage and they dyno all of them. The one I bought the starter from had 30+k miles on it.

I just looked up a'99 xvz13 and it had 4nk-81800-00-00. I thought all the 81800 were 2 brush and the 81890 was the 4 brush. Found a 26H-81890-00-00 starter on ebay but the seller lists as fitting the XVZ12 & 13. can anyone help with the part numbers?

seems the mitsuba SM13 is the basic motor but they fit various bikes and so have various end caps. would be just fine to Frankenstein my starter with something else and a new set of brushes. can anyone help with that starter link?

Don't worry about the part numbers.

Just get a starter from one of the bikes mentioned previously.

If you really want to use Yamaha part numbers, check Yamaha's fiche under the various starter motors. You want a starter that requires a "BRUSH SET, 3AJ-81801-00-00". This is the four brush identifier.

Yamaha's fiche is confusing because she used the same illustration for two brush and four brush.

If you are looking for starters on eBay, note that all the two brush starters have a large Phillips screw showing on the exterior. Four brush OEM starters will not have a visible Phillips screw.

As for the Mitsuba SM13 casting number: a large number of starters of many makes and models will have "Mitsuba SM13" end plates. But the motor rotation, spline teeth and projection of the armature can vary. Be safe and only get a Mitsuba SM13 that came off an Yamaha XVZ13 (1991 and later).

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?74131-slow-cranking-first-gen&highlight=mitsuba

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?83351-Battery-question&highlight=mitsuba

Edited by Prairiehammer

thanks again all/ I ordered a used vmax starter from ebay 4NK-81890-00-00 for xvz12 royal star 2000-2013. and will find a brush set if the brushes aren't huge/ , Probably do the end plate grounding and beef up the battery cables too so I'll be done with it. And pulled the carbs tonight but like an idiot I'm struggling to remove the throttle cables.

I bought a new 4 brush starter off Amazon.com for $89USD. I previously ordered from Pinwall and never received my order for a used starter. Stay away from Pinwall my opinion.

Anyway, with a Dekka AGM battery and its 330CCA I would not bother with wire upgrade.