IGNORED

Inop Tach

OK I installed the Ignitec TCI, I did not use the bike's wire harness but made my own to connect to the COPs I installed at the same time. So I abandoned the bike's circuits leading to the OEM coils; apparently that kills the tach. Now I know there is an input to the tach from the 8 pin plug that now plugs into the TCI. I have tried following the leads from the tach through the 6 pin connector. The tach on my XZV12DKC2 (83.5) had 3 wires from the tack, GND (Blk.) Brown (It goes to a 9 pin connector, and the gray (Gr) enters the 6 pin and leaves a Green/White (G/W). Neither the G/W or Brn. Lead to anything that looks like it would send a signal to a tack.

I am tempted to reconnect the bike's harness to the Ignitec and use the leads that go to the OEM coils to feed extentions to the COPs.

BTW with a fully charged battery the bike starts really fast!

Yes it it. I connected the gray wire from the TCI to the gray wire in the bike's wire harness,,,, no joy ... so I'm thinking I may have separated a plug some where. Tomorrow I will run a jumper from the gray wire on the TCI to the terminal on the back of the tach and see what happens.

I am tempted to reconnect the bike's harness to the Ignitec and use the leads that go to the OEM coils to feed extentions to the COPs.

That's the way I would have done it initially and only THEN fiddled with the wiring as desired.

Why did you do it the way you did? Did you not have the adapter harness from Dingy?

You could have just unplugged the old TCI and used the OEM connectors to connnect to Dingy's harness adapter and then just cut and extended the OEM coil primary wires to the COPs, utilizing the original yellow coil primary connectors to plug into the COP.

Well I think I posted that question and never got a response. I didn't know the tach was hooked up to the TCI, I figured it was on the coil sensors or the alternator. I had it hooked up to the bike's harness initially spiced into the block.

I got everything needed for installation in the kit from Dingy. The issues I have had are because of the COPs I have installed. The TCI does not come with those instructions.

I just ordered some weather pax style plugs and a crimper to extend the wires that go to the OEM coils to the TCI, that way all OEM down line connections are maintained.

Edited by dna9656

That's the way I would have done it initially and only THEN fiddled with the wiring as desired.

Why did you do it the way you did? Did you not have the adapter harness from Dingy?

You could have just unplugged the old TCI and used the OEM connectors to connect to Dingy's harness adapter and then just cut and extended the OEM coil primary wires to the COPs, utilizing the original yellow coil primary connectors to plug into the COP.

Everything needed to install the Ignitec is included in the kit along with some other nice things. I installed it IAW Dingy's great instructions. The do not include how to install COPs however so that's when I got into trouble. I thought extending the leads from the coils back to the COPs might have too much resistance to fire the coils; so I ran my own harness from the TCI to the home made COP sub harness. Apparently YOU CAN'T DO THAT. (apparently).

Edited by dna9656

On the 83, the OEM tach ties into SAME feed from TCI that feeds #2 coil, on the grey wire of the original wire harness. It seems I read somewhere that COP's uses a different dwell setting, that may not be compatible for the tach, where you will need to connect the grey wire to the ingitek tack output pin #15 and keep the COP and tach wires separated, as you do have now.

I don't know of anyone that has used the TCI to drive the tach, but it should be fairly easy to hook it into TCI.

On the Bike tab in the Ignitech program that is on the CD, there is a setting to tell TCI how many pulses per revolution the TCI will receive, which should be set at 2, it is set to this in all TCI's I have sold. There is also a correction % setting for some reason.

All that would be needed is to run a direct wire to the tach input and hook it to the number 15 terminal on the large 20 pin connector on the TCI, it will be empty as you received it. Reason this needs to be a separate wire is the fuel pump relay also is connected to the gray wire at some point in the circuit. If bike is starting & running, this connection is signaling the pump to operate. By tying to the existing grey wire in the harness with the Ignitech TCI, it will create an issue, don't know what the end result would be, but probably not good.

If you do encounter a fuel pump issue, the Ignitech TCI also has an output that can be used to drive the pump, pin 3 on 20 pin connector to TCI. It will take a setting change in TCI programming to enable this, but not hard to do since you have the USB/COM cable.

I can send you a couple of wires that have a terminal already connected to one end that fit the TCI main plug harness. You should have some extra loose terminals that I include with TCI's if you have correct crimping tool.This can be a fairly small gauge wire as there is little current involved with either the tach or fuel pump relay circuits, 20 gauge would be fine. A large gauge wire is difficult to crimp on these small terminals.

Gary

Gary makes a programming adjustment for that issue.

On the 83, the OEM tach ties into SAME feed from TCI that feeds #2 coil, on the grey wire of the original wire harness. It seems I read somewhere that COP's uses a different dwell setting, that may not be compatible for the tach, where you will need to connect the grey wire to the ingitek tack output pin #15 and keep the COP and tach wires separated, as you do have now.

I'm going back to the OEM harness and extending the leads from the OEM coil IN PUT leads to the COPs. This will

re-incorporate the OEM harness in it's entirety and should solve my Tach issue yes?

Yesterday I received water tight plugs I ordered from Amazon. I will install these on the OEM coil leads on both ends (the

coil input lead from the OEM harness and on the other end connecting them to the COPs) of the leads.

Should I need (or want) to I have 8 and 6 pin plugs (WX pack style) on hand to replace the OEM plugs used to connect

the TCI to the OEM harness. When I was initially using the OEM coils I have no fuel pump or tach issues.

I haven't ridden the bike since I started the COP install, however the fuel pump has always cycled (no pun intended) when

turning the bike ON.

I don't know of anyone that has used the TCI to drive the tach, but it should be fairly easy to hook it into TCI.

On the Bike tab in the Ignitech program that is on the CD, there is a setting to tell TCI how many pulses per revolution the TCI will receive, which should be set at 2, it is set to this in all TCI's I have sold. There is also a correction % setting for some reason.

All that would be needed is to run a direct wire to the tach input and hook it to the number 15 terminal on the large 20 pin connector on the TCI, it will be empty as you received it. Reason this needs to be a separate wire is the fuel pump relay also is connected to the gray wire at some point in the circuit. If bike is starting & running, this connection is signaling the pump to operate. By tying to the existing grey wire in the harness with the Ignitech TCI, it will create an issue, don't know what the end result would be, but probably not good.

If you do encounter a fuel pump issue, the Ignitech TCI also has an output that can be used to drive the pump, pin 3 on 20 pin connector to TCI. It will take a setting change in TCI programming to enable this, but not hard to do since you have the USB/COM cable.

I can send you a couple of wires that have a terminal already connected to one end that fit the TCI main plug harness. You should have some extra loose terminals that I include with TCI's if you have correct crimping tool.This can be a fairly small gauge wire as there is little current involved with either the tach or fuel pump relay circuits, 20 gauge would be fine. A large gauge wire is difficult to crimp on these small terminals.

Gary

Edited by dna9656

I'm going back to the OEM harness and extending the leads from the OEM coil IN PUT leads to the COPs. This will

re-incorporate the OEM harness in it's entirety and should solve my Tach issue yes?

Yesterday I received water tight plugs I ordered from Amazon. I will install these on the OEM coil leads on both ends (the

coil input lead from the OEM harness and on the other end connecting them to the COPs) of the leads.

Should I need (or want) to I have 8 and 6 pin plugs (WX pack style) on hand to replace the OEM plugs used to connect

the TCI to the OEM harness. When I was initially using the OEM coils I have no fuel pump or tach issues.

I haven't ridden the bike since I started the COP install, however the fuel pump has always cycled (no pun intended) when

turning the bike ON.

UPDATE:

I got the water tight connector plugs installed. Using the OEM wire harness to transmit data to (the COPs)/from from the Ignitec TCI. So now....

The TACH is BACK!

The POWER, she is GONE! So I'm going to (again) ensure that the polarity from the OEM coil input to the COPs' input is correct. That will rule out dead (non-firing/one or more) COPs is/are bad.