IGNORED

Is my Fuel pump going bad

I have stock 83 Venture, 24k miles, and the last couple rides (not always), after sitting maybe a week, when I turn the key, sometimes I do not hear fuel pump click (prime). Today, I did not hear it, started it, it acted like it was starving for gas, I turned it off, key back on, heard maybe 10 clicks (fuel pump) started right up, ran fine all day. So, does this sound like my fuel pump is starting to go bad? OR should I be looking at something else?

Sounds like either a connection or the pump,, could be the fuse holder or maybe even the relay.

Do one thing at a time,, first the fuse box\holder, take the fuse out and see if the legs of the holder are solid.

If that won't cure it, check your connections, clean them while you're at it.

After that, post back with your findings.

I have had fuel pump problems on my 87. I believe it is a little different on an 83, but as Marcarl said, there are many different components to the fuel delivery system. On my bike, I used a jumper wire to the final connector before the pump or at the relay connector, and, if it operates properly, you know the problem isn't the pump. Then, if the problem isn't the pump, you can test the other components.

Fuel flow to the pump can also have an effect on the pumps operation so a clean fuel filter and petcock filter may help.

Edited by Donvito

Mine was doing the same thing. I changed the fuel filter (the original I think) that helped. I also found the positive battery cable loose. Not exactly sure what did it but is running a whole lot bettet